Secret Societies

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:45 pm

Yup.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Cool! I have been trying to get some info locally, but it seems they are somewhat shut down for the summer, due to the heat. I know one person going through the process now and another who is not active, but thats about all. I think I may have to simply go down to the lodge and knock on the door.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Thats what I had to do. I spent a year + studying and praying about this decision. God has not shown me any condemnation about it. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:35 pm

How long did it take from start to acceptance? I know there is a lot of history to study, right?
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

blenheimbard
Congregation
Congregation

Post by blenheimbard » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 am

Nathaniel_Firethorn wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
mountainman wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
mountainman wrote:I don't think CPS qualifies, being a public forum, except the elite CPS Anarchists.
Perhaps there are secret societies within CPS, hrmmmm? :!:
Perhaps....Or perhaps you are trying to start a conspiracy scandal to draw attention away form the soulmancer society! :?:
And why, precisely, would I want to draw attention away from something that might actually sell my book? :P
Perhaps because it contains elements of the plan to imminentize the Eschaton fnord.

~\U NF
You want to shed a little light on that? Or shall we just sit back and kick out the JAMS?
Blenheim Bard
"Weishaupt lives!"

blenheimbard
Congregation
Congregation

Post by blenheimbard » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:25 am

Steverino wrote:I have not studied this much but have heard a couple of things said:

1. Many times in secret societies, the swearing of oaths is involved, making this unacceptable for the Christian.

2. Some regard the forming of an organization to which one dedicates one's energies, time, means and even their very life, but does not have Christ as its center, as a useless, vain endeavor, and therefore, a sin.

On the other hand, I have subbed for an organist some in the past at a church where many of the deacons and even the pastor are Masons, so there you go. Obviously, not everyone sees this the same way.
1. Not all Christians would accept the statement that the swearing of oaths are unacceptable. In fact that would be a minority position among "Chrisitians".

2. Say what?! Few of us restrict our life to "Christ centered" activities, and I for one am not sure exactly what that would mean, are you positing a "neo-Puritan" life style?

As to the deacons and Pastor being "Masons", one of the prime requirements of the Masonic movement is the personal declaration of a candidate for membership of his belief in God: generally designated as the "Grand Architect" of the universe. The mythos of the Masons is based on the design and erection of the Temple of Jerusalem by the architects and masons. While anyone who believes in god and is of good moral character is eligible to apply for membership, Roman Catholics have been historically subject to excommunication for knowingly joining.
As a historical note most of the major figures of the American Revolutionary political scene were Masons.

blenheimbard
Congregation
Congregation

Post by blenheimbard » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:42 am

Steverino wrote:
sysiphus wrote:I was a Boy Scout for many years, and I do not ever recall seeing a requirement for faith or a 'belief in God' ("reverent" in the Scout Law notwithstanding). While they show a reverence toward God, a belief in Him is not a requirement for membership.
When I first read this, I took issue with it, having served as a Scouter for 12 years while my two boys went through. We always understood that a believe in God (your choice) was a requirement. I went back and did some research and, sure enough, there is no specific requirement that you believe in God to be in Scouting. It does help, however, if you do, as you will be more likely to be in tune with the various concepts and principles presented in the program. For anyone who is interested, I have posted in another thread the details of the BSA's religious aspects.
Haven't been involved in scouting for some time (I am 64) but did some politically correct group get in there and edit out:
"On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country..."?
That was the first part of every Scout meeting I took part in.

Blenheim Bard

blenheimbard
Congregation
Congregation

Post by blenheimbard » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:57 am

sysiphus wrote:
mountainman wrote:Just some thoughts.
Thoughts that I share, and posted a more rambling stream-of-consciousness bit on in the BSA thread.

The thing that has me baffled is 'why the big fuss?' as far as the church is concerned.
Historically the only "church" that had a problem with the masonic movement was the Roman Catholic Church. The Masonic movement was a part of the Enlightenment which often came into conflict with the "dead hand' of THE Church, which wanted no change in the social set-up, viewing change as a threat to itself. Ironically the RC has its own set of "fraternal" (KofC) and "secret" (Opus Dei) societies.
Before one condemns the "symbols" of Masonry, one would be well advised to know what they are and what they represent, as most are taken from the Old Testament, or used to explain stories from the Bible (e.g. "the Widow's mite").

Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cliff » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:28 am

Yes, that true. If one didn't want to be horribly tortured and then burned at the stake, one would remain quiet and meet fellows in secret. That is common sense that worked and brought the human race science and development of modern society. We owe them a debt of gratitude.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

blenheimbard
Congregation
Congregation

Post by blenheimbard » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:54 am

PipeAndPint wrote:In the area where I grew up, the Lodge & the Knights were the social equivalents of labor unions - and if you weren't in the right group outside of work, you'd get passed over for promotion at work. That was how it worked in my grandfather's day.

That said, I think it is sad when Christians find such a lack of fellowship in the regular life of the church that they have to turn to such extra-ecclesial organizations.
And I think it is sad that some "Christians" find that they don't want to work for the betterment of their society with others who hold different faiths. Shall we break everything down and only help those who are the same faith as ourselves?

Is this an indication that their faith would not stand the test of exposure to those of a different faith? Or does it mean that those that differ aren't worthy of their aid?

I grew up down the road from a Shriner's Hospital for "Crippled Children", which at the time meant primarily victims of Polio Melitus. Would the "Orthodox Presbyterian Church" have this work limited to Christian kids?

I will take my stand with Abu Ben Adam

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 am

Kerdy wrote:How long did it take from start to acceptance? I know there is a lot of history to study, right?
When you go to "knock on the door" you will have to go on a meeting night, they will give you the application called a petition, you fill that out at your leisure, return it to the secratary, or any other member, you will need 2 masons to sign your petition and vouch for you. If you get the petition back soon they will investigate you, call your contacts maybe, ask around about you, and then on the next months meeting, they will vote on you. You will then be notified, and the following month you will receive your entered apprentice degree.
To move from first(entered apprentice) to the third(master) degrees, depends on you and how fast you can memorize the proficiency for each degree.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:41 am

mountainman wrote:
Kerdy wrote:How long did it take from start to acceptance? I know there is a lot of history to study, right?
When you go to "knock on the door" you will have to go on a meeting night, they will give you the application called a petition, you fill that out at your leisure, return it to the secratary, or any other member, you will need 2 masons to sign your petition and vouch for you. If you get the petition back soon they will investigate you, call your contacts maybe, ask around about you, and then on the next months meeting, they will vote on you. You will then be notified, and the following month you will receive your entered apprentice degree.
To move from first(entered apprentice) to the third(master) degrees, depends on you and how fast you can memorize the proficiency for each degree.
Hey! Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm going to start my own secret society. I invite you all to join: many benefits & privileges to dues paying members. However, I can't tell you about it - it's secret.

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:29 pm

Wow AFRS, your society promises benefits and privileges? Better than what I got going on right now, all I get to do is charity work, and attend meetings. Sign me up buddy!

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Location: Truth is - I'm a 'REAL Baptist' no matter where I am!!!!!!!

Post by Preacherman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:38 pm

mountainman wrote:Wow AFRS, your society promises benefits and privileges? Better than what I got going on right now, all I get to do is charity work, and attend meetings. Sign me up buddy!
And you could skip the meetings and have more time for more charity work... :wink: ....... :lol:
"Give a man an open Bible, an open mind, a conscience in good working order, and he will have a hard time to keep from being a Baptist." ATR

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Preacherman wrote:
mountainman wrote:Wow AFRS, your society promises benefits and privileges? Better than what I got going on right now, all I get to do is charity work, and attend meetings. Sign me up buddy!
And you could skip the meetings and have more time for more charity work... :wink: ....... :lol:
Nah, the food is too good to skip, plus 7:30pm isn't my favorite time to do charity work, if I wasn't at the meeting I'd be watching tv.
Or, I could just stay at home, and do nothing but watch tv and read the theology section! <redacted_emoji>

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Location: Truth is - I'm a 'REAL Baptist' no matter where I am!!!!!!!

Post by Preacherman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Well played... :wink: ....... :lol:
"Give a man an open Bible, an open mind, a conscience in good working order, and he will have a hard time to keep from being a Baptist." ATR

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:25 pm

I'm hoping to get back to proficiency this fall. I'm an Entered Apprentice right now and simply haven't had time to do the memory work. Perhaps I'll be raised by the holidays (or soon after).

Congrats on being raised, MM!

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Get crackin' Will, a bright guy like you* should have the first degree memorized in less than a month!

*I assume that you are bright. being a medical student and all! :wink:

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:58 pm

mountainman wrote:Get crackin' Will, a bright guy like you* should have the first degree memorized in less than a month!

*I assume that you are bright. being a medical student and all! :wink:
Welp, I'm in trouble then. :lol: