For those deep thinkers out there.
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Re: The Desert Fathers

Post by FredS » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:10 am

Thoth wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 pm
What translation, FredS, are you getting the sayings from. Its kind of throwing me a bit since knowing these sayings and seeing worded differently than I expect them to be.
I'm paraphrasing my favorites from memory, not intending to quote any single source or translation. It's likely that I'm 'quoting, not quoting' these stories based on Merton's collection. Does it offend you or do my posts simply annoy because they're not what you'd expect? I don't mean to offend, that's for sure, so if it does, I'll search out proper translations.

Also, I ordered up three used copies of Yushi Nomura illustrated collection based on your post yesterday. One for me and one for my old pastor friend who turned me on to solitude and the Desert Fathers in the first place. I hate destroying books but I intend to frame a few of his illustrations from the last book that's described in the worst condition.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:45 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:10 am
Thoth wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 pm
What translation, FredS, are you getting the sayings from. Its kind of throwing me a bit since knowing these sayings and seeing worded differently than I expect them to be.
I'm paraphrasing my favorites from memory, not intending to quote any single source or translation. It's likely that I'm 'quoting, not quoting' these stories based on Merton's collection. Does it offend you or do my posts simply annoy because they're not what you'd expect? I don't mean to offend, that's for sure, so if it does, I'll search out proper translations.

Also, I ordered up three used copies of Yushi Nomura illustrated collection based on your post yesterday. One for me and one for my old pastor friend who turned me on to solitude and the Desert Fathers in the first place. I hate destroying books but I intend to frame a few of his illustrations from the last book that's described in the worst condition.

Not offended in the least, its like listening to a live version of a song and the band changes it up slightly. You still like the song just not what you expected.

For example here is the Benedicta Ward translation, I'm familiar with for the saying of St. Anthony you posted "When the same Abba Anthony thought about the depth of the judgments of God, he asked, "Lord, how is it that some die when they are young, while others drag on to extreme old age? Why are there those who are poor and those who are rich? Why do wicked men proper and why are the just in need? He heard a voice answering him, "Anthony, keep your attention on yourself; these things are according to the judgment of God, and it is not to your advantage to known anything about them.""

I never got around to doing it but I've wanted to scan a few of the page's of Yushi's book and print them on parchment or some other paper I think would match well and hang them. Curious as to how you like it when you get it.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:06 am

Abba Pambo asked Abba Anthony, “What ought I to do?”

The old man said to him, “Do not trust in your own righteousness, do not worry about the past, but control your tongue and your stomach.”
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 am

Blessed Archbishop Theophilus, accompanied by a magistrate, came one day to find Abba Arsenius. He questioned the old man, to hear a word from him. After a short silence the old man answered him ‘Will you put into practice what I say to you?’ They promised him this. ‘If you hear Arsenius is anywhere, do not go there.’
DL Jake

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 am

Abba John the Dwarf said, ‘We have put the light burden on one side, that is to say, self-accusation, and we have loaded ourselves with a heavy one, that is to say, self-justification.’
DL Jake

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks, Fred.

Much needed reminders. I delight in their scolding me.
DL Jake

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:47 am

Thoth wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:45 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:10 am
Also, I ordered up three used copies of Yushi Nomura illustrated collection based on your post yesterday. One for me and one for my old pastor friend who turned me on to solitude and the Desert Fathers in the first place.
I never got around to doing it but I've wanted to scan a few of the page's of Yushi's book and print them on parchment or some other paper I think would match well and hang them. Curious as to how you like it when you get it.
Thoth - The book is fantastic. Nomura's simple images in ink offer up the perfect compliment to the simplicity of the desert sayings. His calligraphy is just foreign enough to make one slow down as they read it. Thanks for turning us on to it.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation

Post by artsygeek » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:54 pm

I'd love to read some other folks' desert fathers books. I loved Merton's book when I was shifting from my Evangelical/Pentecostal upbringing to my Quaker early adulthood. In those years, I spent a lot of time "cleaning house" in a very Fowler stage 4 way. These last 6 Mennonite years have been what feels like a transition to stage 5 in Fowler's system.
"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4