Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

For those deep thinkers out there.
User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 36200
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by UncleBob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:41 pm

We've lost 60 percent of animal populations since 1970. This generation may be last to save nature, report says

Image
Notice the words rule, fill, and subdue. God’s original intent was for people to fill the earth, subdue the earth, and rule over the animals. Now let’s consider Gen 2:18-20 which tells us that when God was looking for a helper for Adam, He considered each animal but could not find anything suitable for Adam.

Gen. 2:18-20 Then the LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name. The man gave names to all the cattle, and to the birds of the sky, and to every beast of the field, but for Adam there was not found a helper suitable for him.

These verses tell us that animals are not suitable companions for people. What does that tell us about the role that pets should have in our lives?
What is the role of humanity in nature?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 21849
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Let's cut to the chase and blame Trump and Trump voters.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 36200
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by UncleBob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 pm
Let's cut to the chase and blame Trump and Trump voters.
Since the 70's?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13474
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:18 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 pm
Let's cut to the chase and blame Trump and Trump voters.
Image
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8216
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by Goose55 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:34 pm

That's some good stuff there. Thought provoking. Thanks, UB.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16220
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by gaining_age » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:49 pm

What'll the world make of the trumpets when the time comes?
Rev 8:
6 Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.

7 The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

8 The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, 9 a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 21849
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:03 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:15 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 pm
Let's cut to the chase and blame Trump and Trump voters.
Since the 70's?
Your recent posting history suggests you'd find a way to end with that conclusion. I presume your end game with every post is to turn it towards Trump and racism. I was just trying to save some time.

Carry on.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 17865
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 pm

I cant find that gif of Grandpa Simpson coming into the whore house, hanging his hat, seeing Bart and then casually grabbing his hat and walking back out.

Would you mind taking it as read that that gif encapsulates my feelings towards this thread and the direction it has taken?

Thank you. This has been a recording.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19674
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by wosbald » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 pm

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 pm
I cant find that gif of Grandpa Simpson coming into the whore house, hanging his hat, seeing Bart and then casually grabbing his hat and walking back out.

[…]
Image

ImageImage

"For this reason, on June 1, 1951 … we did speak of the right of people to migrate, which right is founded in the very nature of land."
— Pope Pius XII, Exsul Familia Nazarethana

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 36200
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by UncleBob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:57 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 pm
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 pm
I cant find that gif of Grandpa Simpson coming into the whore house, hanging his hat, seeing Bart and then casually grabbing his hat and walking back out.

[…]
Image
Love that gif.

:cheese:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6499
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:11 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 pm
I cant find that gif of Grandpa Simpson coming into the whore house, hanging his hat, seeing Bart and then casually grabbing his hat and walking back out.

Would you mind taking it as read that that gif encapsulates my feelings towards this thread and the direction it has taken?

Thank you. This has been a recording.
This is the first time I realized that was a brothel.
I always wondered what Bart was doing.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15019
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Filling the earth - we're doing a fair job. (I'm doing my part RM)
Subduing the earth - we're really good at that.
Ruling the earth - we could do much better.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16220
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by gaining_age » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:17 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:11 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 pm
I cant find that gif of Grandpa Simpson coming into the whore house, hanging his hat, seeing Bart and then casually grabbing his hat and walking back out.

Would you mind taking it as read that that gif encapsulates my feelings towards this thread and the direction it has taken?

Thank you. This has been a recording.
This is the first time I realized that was a brothel.
I always wondered what Bart was doing.
Ditto.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Unkinjoe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 am
Location: North MS

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by Unkinjoe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Image

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm aware that this is a touchy subject, especially given the noise produced by atheistic Darwinist or postmodernists. My understanding, however, is that much of their noise is pseudoscience to begin with, since it's merely based on an uneducated understanding of zoology, or the assertion that since humans are classified as part of the "animal kingdom", that this means that humans and other animals are somehow "identical" - when in actual biology, this of course isn't true, at least as much as how an ancient Greek counting device such as an abacus. and a modern supercomputer used by the the US Defense department are "identical" - simply because they are both "machines". or how a paper airplane and and a space shuttle are "identical" simply because they can "both fly".

Even from an atheistic, postmodernist perspective, humans would still have a "right" to rule over animals and subdue the earth by virtue of their "might" and evolutionary dominance - so an atheistic postmodernist couldn't advocate for quaint notions such as "fair and equal treatment" of animals, or humans' denying their Darwinian instincts toward domination of other species - unless they renounce their postmodernism and embrace Judeo-Christian values to begin with. :P

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 17865
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:21 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:07 pm
I'm aware that this is a touchy subject, especially given the noise produced by atheistic Darwinist or postmodernists. My understanding, however, is that much of their noise is pseudoscience to begin with, since it's merely based on an uneducated understanding of zoology, or the assertion that since humans are classified as part of the "animal kingdom", that this means that humans and other animals are somehow "identical" - when in actual biology, this of course isn't true, at least as much as how an ancient Greek counting device such as an abacus. and a modern supercomputer used by the the US Defense department are "identical" - simply because they are both "machines". or how a paper airplane and and a space shuttle are "identical" simply because they can "both fly".

Even from an atheistic, postmodernist perspective, humans would still have a "right" to rule over animals and subdue the earth by virtue of their "might" and evolutionary dominance - so an atheistic postmodernist couldn't advocate for quaint notions such as "fair and equal treatment" of animals, or humans' denying their Darwinian instincts toward domination of other species - unless they renounce their postmodernism and embrace Judeo-Christian values to begin with. :P
Tl;dr.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:58 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:21 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:07 pm
I'm aware that this is a touchy subject, especially given the noise produced by atheistic Darwinist or postmodernists. My understanding, however, is that much of their noise is pseudoscience to begin with, since it's merely based on an uneducated understanding of zoology, or the assertion that since humans are classified as part of the "animal kingdom", that this means that humans and other animals are somehow "identical" - when in actual biology, this of course isn't true, at least as much as how an ancient Greek counting device such as an abacus. and a modern supercomputer used by the the US Defense department are "identical" - simply because they are both "machines". or how a paper airplane and and a space shuttle are "identical" simply because they can "both fly".

Even from an atheistic, postmodernist perspective, humans would still have a "right" to rule over animals and subdue the earth by virtue of their "might" and evolutionary dominance - so an atheistic postmodernist couldn't advocate for quaint notions such as "fair and equal treatment" of animals, or humans' denying their Darwinian instincts toward domination of other species - unless they renounce their postmodernism and embrace Judeo-Christian values to begin with. :P
Tl;dr.
Summary - the atheistic postmodernist view is self-contradictory:

"Might makes right, and whatever allows the species to survive and dominate others goes... but animals deserve fair and equal treatment"

So even from their view, humans still have a right to subdue the earth and establish their superiority over animals due to their evolutionary dominance, even if they attempt to throw God out.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6499
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Christian principles and practice, throughout church history, demonstrate worshipful responses to the gift of creation as manifested both in dominion and in stewardship.

Dominion and stewardship can appear to be in conflict; certainly, they exist in tension. The resolution of that tension is no simple matter, but difficulty is no excuse for avoiding the struggle.

I looked up a lot of references to dominion and stewardship before posting. Much has been written about this conflict in both popular theology and in scholarly theology. Believing the biblical truth that man is created in God’s image and that he is given dominion over God’s creation does not obviate the simultaneous responsibility for stewardship of God’s creation.

One interesting take on this I just read stresses the evident glory of creation as a way for the non-believer to come to know God. Destruction of creation, diminution of its glory, not only disrespects God but hinders discovery of Him through the experience of that glory by others.

There are many other canonical and traditional arguments supporting the Christian obligation for stewardship. I’ll leave it to each of us to study this matter in our own way and in our own time, but to frame the resolution as an either or is neither necessary nor appropriate.

I’m not sure that the linked post UB started this thread with is as much a product of serious, humble study and reflection as it might be; further, the comment about the appropriateness of pets might have more to do with a childhood in farming and an understanding of animals as livestock formed through that experience than a deep study of Christian tradition and scripture.

But that may just be my own personal bias.
I make no claim of serious study of the matter.

Rather, I know the bond that exists between a man and a dog. I find it hard to believe this good and beautiful thing is not a gift from God.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 pm
Christian principles and practice, throughout church history, demonstrate worshipful responses to the gift of creation as manifested both in dominion and in stewardship.

Dominion and stewardship can appear to be in conflict; certainly, they exist in tension. The resolution of that tension is no simple matter, but difficulty is no excuse for avoiding the struggle.

I looked up a lot of references to dominion and stewardship before posting. Much has been written about this conflict in both popular theology and in scholarly theology. Believing the biblical truth that man is created in God’s image and that he is given dominion over God’s creation does not obviate the simultaneous responsibility for stewardship of God’s creation.

One interesting take on this I just read stresses the evident glory of creation as a way for the non-believer to come to know God. Destruction of creation, diminution of its glory, not only disrespects God but hinders discovery of Him through the experience of that glory by others.

There are many other canonical and traditional arguments supporting the Christian obligation for stewardship. I’ll leave it to each of us to study this matter in our own way and in our own time, but to frame the resolution as an either or is neither necessary nor appropriate.

I’m not sure that the linked post UB started this thread with is as much a product of serious, humble study and reflection as it might be; further, the comment about the appropriateness of pets might have more to do with a childhood in farming and an understanding of animals as livestock formed through that experience than a deep study of Christian tradition and scripture.

But that may just be my own personal bias.
I make no claim of serious study of the matter.

Rather, I know the bond that exists between a man and a dog. I find it hard to believe this good and beautiful thing is not a gift from God.
I would definitely agree.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6499
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Subdue the Earth--That'll Larn 'Em!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:09 pm

“Francis of Assisi” wrote:Ask the beasts and they will teach you the beauty of this earth.
Having posted this, and believing it with all of my heart, I remain a hunter.

Dominion.
Stewardship.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Post Reply