Help!

For those deep thinkers out there.
Post Reply
User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 4738
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Help!

Post by Fainn » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:31 pm

I've heard from several people that being worried about the unpardonable sin is a sure sign you hadn't committed it. Any scripture to back that claim?
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22511
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Help!

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Hebrews 3:7–8
Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness,

If the unpardonable sin is blaspheming the Spirit, whom you know to be real, AND hardening your heart so that you don't care, and don't ask forgiveness, then this passage backs up the concept you've asked about. The fact that one worries about it leads to the thought that ones heart is not hardened against the Spirit and that one does desire forgiveness. There is also the notion that if one does not truly know the Spirit but is naive on the subject (does not hear his voice as the scripture puts it), then one can't blaspheme him in the first place.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 22528
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Help!

Post by Jocose » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:50 am

I will never turn away anyone who comes to me, ... Him who comes to me I will in no way throw out. ... which the Father giveth me shall come unto me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Help!

Post by Nature of a Man » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm not a theologian, but my understanding is that a person renouncing the Holy Spirit, like Faust signing his soul over to the Devil, would be fully aware of what they are doing, and it isn't something they could "do without having, on some level, realized it".

User avatar
artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Charlottesville, Va

Re: Help!

Post by artsygeek » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:24 am

FredS wrote:Hebrews 3:7–8
Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness,

If the unpardonable sin is blaspheming the Spirit, whom you know to be real, AND hardening your heart so that you don't care, and don't ask forgiveness, then this passage backs up the concept you've asked about. The fact that one worries about it leads to the thought that ones heart is not hardened against the Spirit and that one does desire forgiveness. There is also the notion that if one does not truly know the Spirit but is naive on the subject (does not hear his voice as the scripture puts it), then one can't blaspheme him in the first place.
I agree. You have to have an awareness to actually do it.
"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9401
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Help!

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:26 am

Fainn wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:31 pm
I've heard from several people that being worried about the unpardonable sin is a sure sign you hadn't committed it. Any scripture to back that claim?
The phrase unpardonable sin doesn't even appear in scripture, anywhere. But it does appear that being "religious" isn't always a good thing, but being known by God is a good thing.....

Matthew 7:22-24 King James Version (KJV)

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15138
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Help!

Post by Cleon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:26 am
Fainn wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:31 pm
I've heard from several people that being worried about the unpardonable sin is a sure sign you hadn't committed it. Any scripture to back that claim?
The phrase unpardonable sin doesn't even appear in scripture, anywhere. But it does appear that being "religious" isn't always a good thing, but being known by God is a good thing.....

Matthew 7:22-24 King James Version (KJV)

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
I assume Fainn is talking about the "blashphemy against the Holy Spirit" found in the gospels. Is this a correct assumption, Fainn?
Matthew 12:31-32
"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Mark 3:28-29
"Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"

Luke 12:10
"And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 4738
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: Help!

Post by Fainn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 pm
y.
I assume Fainn is talking about the "blashphemy against the Holy Spirit" found in the gospels. Is this a correct assumption, Fainn?
Yes.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Help!

Post by Nature of a Man » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:20 pm

I'd probably have to learn more about theology on the subject of the Holy Spirit or the trinity in general to better understand this; I sometimes feel that it's an oft-neglected or misunderstood concept despite being so central to Christianity.

Post Reply