Christian Denomination Selector

For those deep thinkers out there.
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Re: Christian Denomination Selector

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 am

Evidently, I need to get to know Jeremy the Methodist Man better. PCA was #2 with a score of 96%. That happens to be where I'm actually at.

Even though the cradle Catholics can't wrap their minds around actually having independent thought on the subject of denominational differences, I didn't take the survey with the intent of aiming at a desired end point, but ended up at basically the same place in real life and the survey for the same reasons.

Skip and I used to joke that we all have our own weird. It may take a while and it may change over time, but we all end up where we're supposed to be eventually.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:08 am

That's a neat tool.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 am
Evidently, I need to get to know Jeremy the Methodist Man better. PCA was #2 with a score of 96%. That happens to be where I'm actually at.

Even though the cradle Catholics can't wrap their minds around actually having independent thought on the subject of denominational differences, I didn't take the survey with the intent of aiming at a desired end point, but ended up at basically the same place in real life and the survey for the same reasons.

Skip and I used to joke that we all have our own weird. It may take a while and it may change over time, but we all end up where we're supposed to be eventually.
The cradle catholic humbly chuckles at your attempt at individuality. Have you looked at this site and seen how much of the "thought" expressed is merely operant conditioning? Simple response to stimuli? Of course, being a free born American dirt farmer of no more education than he needed, gosh dang it, you would, without doubt, be immune from such obvious pitfalls.

Peace, Fred. I wish you joy of your travels. You have a long way to go and a short time to get there. I need hardly remind you that ol Smokey has those ears on and hes hot on your tail.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:44 am

hugs and kisses
Last edited by FredS on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:46 am

Reformed Baptist (100%)
Presbyterian Church in America/Orthodox Presbyterian Church (100%)
Reformed Churches (100%)
Presbyterian Church USA (92%)
Southern Baptist (92%)
Mennonite Brethren (88%)
Assemblies of God (83%)
Free Will Baptist (83%)
Methodist/Wesleyan Church (81%)
Orthodox Quakerism (79%)
Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (76%)
Church of Christ (76%)
International Church of Christ (71%)
Seventh-Day Adventist (71%)
Evangelical Lutheran Church (69%)
Episcopal/Anglican Church (65%)
Eastern Orthodox Church (63%)
United Pentecostal Church (62%)
Roman Catholic Church (58%)
Mormonism (46%)
Jehovah's Witness (38%)
Liberal Quakerism (19%)
Unitarian Universalism (0%)
Unity Church (0%)
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:48 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 am
John-Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:16 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:08 am
You people are hilarious to watch. “Look, look...thanks to my conscious responses in an attempt to steer this online doohickey the right way, I got exactly, and I mean exactly, the response I engineered!! Raise the banner high! I R Xtian!”
But if you think about it, deep down inside, aren't we all engineers?
Well put, John. Deep down inside, we’re all dogmatic, legalistic bastiges who aren’t above throwing a survey to show our sectarian allegiances. You know, “engineers.” :lol:
Dangit John, I'm a scientist not an Engineer.... (ok, my job title my be but I stick to science practices)
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:10 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 am
John-Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:16 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:08 am
You people are hilarious to watch. “Look, look...thanks to my conscious responses in an attempt to steer this online doohickey the right way, I got exactly, and I mean exactly, the response I engineered!! Raise the banner high! I R Xtian!”
But if you think about it, deep down inside, aren't we all engineers?
Well put, John. Deep down inside, we’re all dogmatic, legalistic bastiges who aren’t above throwing a survey to show our sectarian allegiances. You know, “engineers.” :lol:
Oh.. No, I meant the train kind... choo choo... whoo whoo...
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:18 am

Hmm.
I got 100% Mormonism and 98% Scientology. 0% Zoroastrianism.

It was the questions about jet airliners from another planet, atomic bombs, volcanoes, plural marriage and a third of the Bible being discovered in gold tablets in America and proven true with a galvanic skin response ohm meter that clinched it.

:pipe3:

Couldn’t most of us place ourselves in a Christian faith tradition based on the contents of our theological beliefs and practices without this “test?”
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:30 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:18 am
Hmm.

It was the questions about jet airliners from another planet, atomic bombs, volcanoes, plural marriage and a third of the Bible being discovered in gold tablets in America and proven true with a galvanic skin response ohm meter that clinched it.

Couldn’t most of us place ourselves in a Christian faith tradition based on the contents of our theological beliefs and practices without this “test?”
One hopes. When I marked every answer "not very important" two of the four 100% agreement responses invit were the Anglicans and the Lutherans. Seems rather biased, what?

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:38 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:30 am
durangopipe wrote:
Hmm.

One hopes. When I marked every answer "not very important" two of the four 100% agreement responses invit were the Anglicans and the Lutherans. Seems rather biased, what?
For fun, answer each question in the exact opposite of what you believe. So, if you don't give a rat's tuckus, answer, "Very Important" and so on. Here is what I got:

tuttle (100%)
Del (32%)
FredS (R = 2)
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 am

Mine was correct, which is good since I'm right and so many of you are wrong.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:09 am

durangopipe wrote:
I'd certainly hope so.
UncleBob wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:38 am
For fun, answer each question in the exact opposite of what you believe. So, if you don't give a rat's tuckus, answer, "Very Important" and so on. Here is what I got:

tuttle (100%)
Del (32%)
FredS (R = 2)
See you Sunday? Services at 8:30a for those that want to be done before the game starts, 10:00a for those who had a few too many Saturday night.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 pm

This thing is ridiculous. Some of the designations are hilarious.

I'm 100% on 3 different types of Lutheran, 100% Wesleyan/Methodist, 90% Orthodox, 90% Seventh-Day Adventist (wtf?), 90% Episcopalian/Anglican, 80% Assemblies, and so on.

On the flip side, I'm 40% Reformed :P.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 pm
This thing is ridiculous. Some of the designations are hilarious.

I'm 100% on 3 different types of Lutheran, 100% Wesleyan/Methodist, 90% Orthodox, 90% Seventh-Day Adventist (wtf?), 90% Episcopalian/Anglican, 80% Assemblies, and so on.

On the flip side, I'm 40% Reformed :P.
Ridiculous or not. It's fact. :dance:
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:28 am

I like what Jesus said about this matter of denominations:

"The time is coming—it has, in fact, come—when what you’re called will not matter and where you go to worship will not matter. It’s who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth. That’s the kind of people the Father is out looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before him in their worship." ~ John 4:21-24 The Message (MSG)
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:55 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:28 am

"The time is coming—it has, in fact, come—when what you’re called will not matter and where you go to worship will not matter. It’s who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth. That’s the kind of people the Father is out looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before him in their worship." ~ John 4:21-24 The Message (MSG)
That's a super loose paraphrase.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:55 am
Goose55 wrote:

Nope. Too easy.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:20 pm

Cleon wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Interested to know what it would look like if you paraphrased it. A lot of folk keep saying The Message is a paraphrase but Eugene Peterson had the Hebrew & Greek right there by his side.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:20 pm
Cleon wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Interested to know what it would look like if you paraphrased it. A lot of folk keep saying The Message is a paraphrase but Eugene Peterson had the Hebrew & Greek right there by his side.
I agree with this criticism of The Message from a longer piece about it:

... other critics declare The Message to be not a paraphrase of what the Bible says, but more of a rendering of what Eugene Peterson would like it to say. In an interview with Christianity Today, Peterson described the beginning of the creative process that produced The Message: “I just kind of let go and became playful. And that was when the Sermon on the Mount started. I remember I was down in my basement study, and I did the Beatitudes in about ten minutes. And all of a sudden I realized this could work.” Aside from the impossibility of doing justice to the Sermon on the Mount in ten minutes, one wonders whether playfulness is the appropriate demeanor for those who attempt to “rightly divide the word of Truth” (2 Timothy 2:15). Awe and reverence for a holy God and His holy Word, yes. Playfulness? No.

It in no way resembles a serious translation. Peterson himself has said as much.

Not so much a poor translation as a non-translation.
Not so much a paraphrase as a rewrite.

An interesting chart:

From the same source as the chart:

The Message –
Pros: Easy and fun to read. Phrases Bible verses in a reader-friendly way. Formatting is more like a novel, with less emphasis on chapter and verse number references.
Cons: Not actually a translation of the Bible. It’s considered a paraphrase of the Bible. It should be read and quoted with caution, and it should not be considered an actual translation of God’s Word. I cannot recommend The Message as it is not the Bible, as it’s author is Eugene Peterson, not God.

(I’m not endorsing either of the sources used, but I do believe they articulate the problem with The Message accurately.)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:15 pm

My top results were Presbyterian or Reformed, but I'd have to give it another shot since I didn't save the full results.