A succubus and an incubus

For those deep thinkers out there.
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

A succubus and an incubus

Post by Nature of a Man » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:53 am

I've heard in folklore of demons known as succubi and incubi, and whether or not they are a form of supernatural being, I'm interested in what they represent, and how to discern them from the real thing.

In folklore, succubi are beautiful female demons who seduce men (and incubi are handsome male demons who seduce women, supposedly to father more demon kin), in daily life, my thought is that their lore relates to individuals who are "copycats", or forgeries of typical male and female ideals of beauty, as represented in mass media and popular culture, or people in daily life who had a reputation of being a rake, or a seductress.

But since they're merely copycats and devoid of the deeper understanding of beauty, and the various heroic traits it represents, they lack the character which would go along with the veneer, and I believe to a more mature and trained eye, they'd be easier to spot - much as an immature man still stuck in his adolescence might be able to pull one over on girls, but not women, to whom he'd seem just a little boy.

As far as "how" to spot the difference, I think it would be something in the 'glow' - but I wouldn't know the details - though I'd assume that a person would could spot a counterfeit dollar from a real one, or a forged antique from the authentic one, would be able to.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: A succubus and an incubus

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:55 am

I read in C.S. Lewis' writing somewhere I now cannot find that it is best to leave curiosities about such things be. But that if we really wanted to know, personally, we would. That 2nd part of his admonition doesn't sound good.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:02 am

That which we know about demons we know from scripture, which gives no foundation for such ideas.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:18 am

I agree with the others. That is a door that you DON'T want to open.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:57 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:12 am

I've been known to occasionally ride the #26 Crosstownbus :oops:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:13 pm

Everything I know about succubi I learned on South Park.
Come to think of it, most of what I know about Scientology I Iearned there, too.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:20 pm

coco wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:02 am
That which we know about demons we know from scripture, which gives no foundation for such ideas.
I agree with this very much.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:20 pm
coco wrote:
Hah. Take that, Coco!
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:41 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:55 pm
Goose55 wrote:
coco wrote:
Hah. Take that, Coco!
8O

:lol:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:53 am
I've heard in folklore of demons known as succubi and incubi, and whether or not they are a form of supernatural being, I'm interested in what they represent, and how to discern them from the real thing.

In folklore, succubi are beautiful female demons who seduce men (and incubi are handsome male demons who seduce women, supposedly to father more demon kin), in daily life, my thought is that their lore relates to individuals who are "copycats", or forgeries of typical male and female ideals of beauty, as represented in mass media and popular culture, or people in daily life who had a reputation of being a rake, or a seductress.

But since they're merely copycats and devoid of the deeper understanding of beauty, and the various heroic traits it represents, they lack the character which would go along with the veneer, and I believe to a more mature and trained eye, they'd be easier to spot - much as an immature man still stuck in his adolescence might be able to pull one over on girls, but not women, to whom he'd seem just a little boy.

As far as "how" to spot the difference, I think it would be something in the 'glow' - but I wouldn't know the details - though I'd assume that a person would could spot a counterfeit dollar from a real one, or a forged antique from the authentic one, would be able to.
I kid you not, I swear on of my ex's was possessed. After dating for over a year, she looked at me and said, "I don't even know your name." Also a ton of other weird stuff.
Why does Hugodrax want to suppress the Jesuits?

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:22 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:

I kid you not, I swear on of my ex's was possessed. After dating for over a year, she looked at me and said, "I don't even know your name." Also a ton of other weird stuff.
Fascinating, though I'm sure that only scratches the surface..

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:51 pm

coco wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:41 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:55 pm
Goose55 wrote:
coco wrote:
Hah. Take that, Coco!
8O

:lol:
(12) 8O + :lol:

And succubi? Really? Dude. I wouldn't even try that one. Come on.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:13 pm
Come to think of it, most of what I know about Scientology I Iearned there, too.
Perhaps I need to watch that sometime.

Meanwhile, this thread reminds me of a dream I had. It's a party, and I'm there with NoM, Fainn, and Goose. It's just getting started good, and Hugo walks in. Del comes later, and we can hear Morely's voice but can't see him.
Suddenly there's a knock at the door and everyone gets quiet.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:12 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:13 pm
Perhaps I need to watch that sometime.

Meanwhile, this thread reminds me of a dream I had. It's a party, and I'm there with NoM, Fainn, and Goose. It's just getting started good, and Hugo walks in. Del comes later, and we can hear Morely's voice but can't see him.
Suddenly there's a knock at the door and everyone gets quiet.
Pizza guy?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:42 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
I've heard in folklore of demons known as succubi and incubi...
Sauce?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:42 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sauce?
Dungeons and Dragons?

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:19 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:59 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:42 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sauce?
Dungeons and Dragons?
dice
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Craps
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:36 pm

poops
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa