Ethics of eating meat

For those deep thinkers out there.
User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Ethics of eating meat

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 am

Won't get into the nitty-gritty of it, however my views on the subject are that eating meat in moderation is more or less fine, and might arguably be a 'necessary evil' in some cases in life - veganism might be a more enlightened path for some to strive for, but wouldn't be expected for most paths in life, nor should it accompanied by excessive guilt if one doesn't.

I aim to eat more or less vegan most days of the week, and still occasionally eat meat or fish - but try to aim it for a weekend or special occasion, as well as make an effort to aim for meat which is ethically raised or procured (one reason I now prefer wild-caught fish or farm-raised meats to commercial processed meat).

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 17865
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:38 am

Not to put too fine a point on it, but who cares?
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:38 am
Not to put too fine a point on it, but who cares?
People who care about the ethics of eating meat, I'd assume.

User avatar
artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Charlottesville, Va

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by artsygeek » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:55 am

While I'd agree on elements of this in terms of the waste of resources that goes into the production of meat (resources that can feed hungry people), I'd be careful about wasting time in the avoidance of meat when that time can be better used. Sometimes it's better to look for what's cheap and use the fiscal savings to help others. It all depends on the resources you have in your pocket and/or what resources you have in terms of time.
"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33264
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by John-Boy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:23 am

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 am
...is more or less fine...a 'necessary evil'...a more enlightened path...wouldn't be expected...excessive guilt...
What's this based on? Is this a description of your judgment upon all? Or how you view your own actions?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16220
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by gaining_age » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:19 am

I have pets. Please don't eat them.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33264
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by John-Boy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:22 am

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:19 am
I have pets. Please don't eat them.
Pet plants?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25563
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by jruegg » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:29 am

Image

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16220
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by gaining_age » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:48 am

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:22 am
gaining_age wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:19 am
I have pets. Please don't eat them.
Pet plants?
not recently
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29050
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by coco » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:02 am

Given that the Bible says that meat may be eaten, the ethical issue seems pretty much solved, isn't it?
(Gen 7:2; Lev 7:9, 10:4; Deut 12:22, 14:11: Matt 15:11; Acts 10:9-33; Rom 14:20)
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:37 am

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:38 am
Not to put too fine a point on it, but who cares?
People who care about the ethics of eating meat, I'd assume.
Have we identified any single human on CPS that finds eating meat unethical?
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 36200
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by UncleBob » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:00 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:37 am
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:38 am
Not to put too fine a point on it, but who cares?
People who care about the ethics of eating meat, I'd assume.
Have we identified any single human on CPS that finds eating meat unethical?
Coco?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Charlottesville, Va

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by artsygeek » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:02 pm

coco wrote:Given that the Bible says that meat may be eaten, the ethical issue seems pretty much solved, isn't it?
(Gen 7:2; Lev 7:9, 10:4; Deut 12:22, 14:11: Matt 15:11; Acts 10:9-33; Rom 14:20)
I think the issue with meat that many folks see is resource frugality. You have to have the land to grow grain to feed the animals and then have the land to raise the animals (as well as the land for slaughter and processing). If you use all of that land to grow grains and vegetables, you can feed a lot more people at a much cheaper price. Then there's the issue of waste and how it has an impact (e.g. farms' huge tanks/ponds of manure can become disasters when flooding occurs). Now, I don't think it means that folks should eliminate meat, but they should be smart and frugal in how much they use (and that would prevent most of the problems I've described above). Other folks take a much more hardline stance.
"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16220
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by gaining_age » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:13 pm

artsygeek wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:02 pm
coco wrote:Given that the Bible says that meat may be eaten, the ethical issue seems pretty much solved, isn't it?
(Gen 7:2; Lev 7:9, 10:4; Deut 12:22, 14:11: Matt 15:11; Acts 10:9-33; Rom 14:20)
I think the issue with meat that many folks see is resource frugality. You have to have the land to grow grain to feed the animals and then have the land to raise the animals (as well as the land for slaughter and processing). If you use all of that land to grow grains and vegetables, you can feed a lot more people at a much cheaper price. Then there's the issue of waste and how it has an impact (e.g. farms' huge tanks/ponds of manure can become disasters when flooding occurs). Now, I don't think it means that folks should eliminate meat, but they should be smart and frugal in how much they use (and that would prevent most of the problems I've described above). Other folks take a much more hardline stance.
We have enough food-- distribution is the issue (not land usage vs. feeding animals):
https://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating ... ion-hungry
(I found this info on a few sites-- I'm not exactly sure the accuracy or if they are quoting each other, though)
Waste and Resources Action Program (Wrap), a British anti-waste organization, released the report that estimates that a third of the food produced in the world is never eaten. Each year, an about $400 billion is also wasted because of the uneaten food. That food, if collected and distributed effectively, is enough to feed the world’s 870 million hungry people.
Some places should consider land usage differently but it would not be a general requirement (globally).
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29050
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by coco » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:34 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:48 am
John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:22 am
gaining_age wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:19 am
I have pets. Please don't eat them.
Pet plants?
not recently
Image
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by JMG » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Just ate a bacon sandwich for lunch. Gave thanks to the Lord for it. I feel happy.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:02 am
Given that the Bible says that meat may be eaten, the ethical issue seems pretty much solved, isn't it?
(Gen 7:2; Lev 7:9, 10:4; Deut 12:22, 14:11: Matt 15:11; Acts 10:9-33; Rom 14:20)
Yes and no, my understanding is that there's a difference between "may" be eaten, and "should" be eaten. I more or less agree that the "may" be eaten part is addressed, and there was no overt commandment for any and all to be vegan (much as there was no overt commandment for any and all to practice a lifestyle of asceticism or renunciation, like that of John the Baptist).

Likewise, I'd argue that health concerns, as well as concerns for the welfare of the beasts in question would have to be taken into account - whether in regards to the life of the beasts (e.x. Proverbs 12:10), or in regards to other factors, such as bodily health (ex. 1 Corinthians 6:19) - especially given the facts of modern meat raising and preparation methods and their potential differences from traditional methods of farming.

This is my take.
JMG wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:39 pm
Just ate a bacon sandwich for lunch. Gave thanks to the Lord for it. I feel happy.
I enjoy a heaping helping of saturated fat on occasion, or at least the beast in me does.
John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:23 am
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 am
...is more or less fine...a 'necessary evil'...a more enlightened path...wouldn't be expected...excessive guilt...
What's this based on? Is this a description of your judgment upon all? Or how you view your own actions?
It'd say it's a description of my views and judgments on the somewhat broad subject of eating meat, and the myriad of types, ways, and reasons by which meat could be prepared and eaten.
Last edited by Nature of a Man on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29050
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by coco » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:00 pm
coco wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:02 am
Given that the Bible says that meat may be eaten, the ethical issue seems pretty much solved, isn't it?
(Gen 7:2; Lev 7:9, 10:4; Deut 12:22, 14:11: Matt 15:11; Acts 10:9-33; Rom 14:20)
Yes and no, my understanding is that there's a difference between "may" be eaten, and "should" be eaten. I more or less agree that the "may" be eaten part is addressed, and there was no overt commandment for any and all to be vegan (much as there was no overt commandment for any and all to practice a lifestyle of asceticism or renunciation, like that of John the Baptist).

Likewise, I'd argue that health concerns, as well as concerns for the welfare of the beasts in question (e.x. being a steward of the earth) would have to be taken into account,- especially given the facts of modern meat raising and preparation methods and their potential differences from traditional methods of farming.

This is my take.
JMG wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:39 pm
Just ate a bacon sandwich for lunch. Gave thanks to the Lord for it. I feel happy.
I enjoy a heaping helping of saturated fat on occasion, or at least the beast in me does.
So, as God teaches us ethics, he sometimes states what we may do (what is permissible) but not always what we should do (what is morally right)? Is that correct?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:18 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:16 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:00 pm
coco wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:02 am
Given that the Bible says that meat may be eaten, the ethical issue seems pretty much solved, isn't it?
(Gen 7:2; Lev 7:9, 10:4; Deut 12:22, 14:11: Matt 15:11; Acts 10:9-33; Rom 14:20)
Yes and no, my understanding is that there's a difference between "may" be eaten, and "should" be eaten. I more or less agree that the "may" be eaten part is addressed, and there was no overt commandment for any and all to be vegan (much as there was no overt commandment for any and all to practice a lifestyle of asceticism or renunciation, like that of John the Baptist).

Likewise, I'd argue that health concerns, as well as concerns for the welfare of the beasts in question (e.x. being a steward of the earth) would have to be taken into account,- especially given the facts of modern meat raising and preparation methods and their potential differences from traditional methods of farming.

This is my take.
JMG wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:39 pm
Just ate a bacon sandwich for lunch. Gave thanks to the Lord for it. I feel happy.
I enjoy a heaping helping of saturated fat on occasion, or at least the beast in me does.
So, as God teaches us ethics, he sometimes states what we may do (what is permissible) but not always what we should do (what is morally right)? Is that correct?
Yes, more or less.

Essentially, my take is that what God might expect from a layperson wouldn't be the same as what would be expected from an ascetic like John the Baptist - in the case of the ascetic who was attempting to life of nonviolence and worldly renunciation, things such as eating meat, or owning any worldly or material comforts wouldn't be permissible, while in the case of the layperson, they would.

(Likewise, I see no evidence that God expected any and everyone to practice asceticism to begin with, so in the case of non-ascetics, eating meat in practice would be fine, even if renouncing meat, in theory, would be making more personal sacrifice toward ideals such as nonviolence).
Last edited by Nature of a Man on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21395
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by Jocose » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:40 pm

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Image

Post Reply