For those deep thinkers out there.
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Re: Ethics of eating meat

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:54 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:41 pm
Can I eat one of the neighbors cats as long as I'm intentional about which one I kill and only do it, say, once every two months?
That would bring several new variables into the equation, right? Namely, the neighbor, his attitude to your eating his pets, and whether or not you are Korean.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:09 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:37 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:23 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:38 pm
As far as the discussion itself goes though, I'm not sure how the notion of an animal's soul would directly factor into discussions on eating of meat.
It doesn't. I didn't write that it does.

I was trying to understand what you meant when you wrote about 'indiscriminate killing'. I listed a few possibilities to see if any of them touched on your intention. "Indiscriminate" could be defined as 'random' or 'without careful thought' so I wondered if you meant 'killing without careful thought as to whether or not the animal has a soul'. I don't think they do, but there's something there that makes it emotionally more difficult to kill and eat the family dog than the beef cow.
I'm assuming in that you mean soul in dualist sense in which humans have souls, but not animals, but I'm not an expert on the philosophy behind it so I can't comment.

Indiscriminate would everything important into account, such as the raising and preparation methods, whether or not the animals are being killed or hunted in excess quantity, or killed solely for sport as opposed to food - whether or not the meat or animal products are consumed in healthy quantities, and so on.

In day to day life, a person would just have to use common sense to discern the difference, rather than be paranoid or hypochondriac about it.
So, just in the interest of trying to figure out where we're at vis-a-vis the consumption of meat: would it be fair to say you believe it is permitted but we shouldn't be jerks about it. Kill and eat but dont go crazy?
That sounds about right to me.
FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:41 pm
Can I eat one of the neighbors cats as long as I'm intentional about which one I kill and only do it, say, once every two months?
Better question, why would you want to?

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm
I don't think it's really that dichotomous, I've heard that in some species of animals, predators do actually kill solely for sport, or to assert their "alpha dominance" over others:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/chim ... y-1.925752

Chimpanzees violently kill other chimps to expand their own territory, according to a study in Uganda that provides the first evidence that such attacks are motivated by a desire for others' land.

Over the course of their 10-year study, U.S. researchers witnessed 18 killings and found signs of three others perpetrated by members of a community of about 150 chimps at Ngogo, Kibale National Park.

Then in the summer of 2009, the Ngogo chimpanzees began to use the area where two-thirds of these events occurred, expanding their territory by 22 per cent. They traveled, socialized and fed on their favourite fruits in the new region.

"Our observations indicate that chimpanzees at Ngogo have expanded their territory at the expense of a neighboring community. Territorial expansion followed a series of lethal … attacks that formed an especially large source of mortality," primate behavioural ecologist John Mitani, from the University of Michigan, and colleagues write in the journal Current Biology.

Chimpanzees (along with bonobos) are our closest living relatives. Anthropologists have long known that they kill their neighbours, and they suspected that they did so to seize their land, but the researchers say their study is the first to provide clear-cut evidence of this.

---

I suppose most would argue that animals don't have responsibility over their actions like humans do, but the notion of animals and nature being entirely "playful and innocent" except when corrupted by human activity is often over-romanticized by nature lovers and tree-huggers.

And I agree that humans' eating meat isn't solely for "greed" or excess, but real life concerns as well, (though modern consumerism has definitely pushed the envelope on that).

Which is why I don't take the trendy, "militant vegan" slogans seriously.
Last edited by Nature of a Man on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:34 pm
Jocose wrote:
I don't think it's really that dichotomous, I've heard that in some species of animals, predators do actually kill solely for sport, or to assert their "alpha dominance" over others.

(I suppose most would argue that animals don't have responsibility over their actions like humans do, but the notion of animals and nature being entirely "playful and innocent" except when corrupted by human activity is often over-romanticized by nature lovers and tree-huggers).

And I agree that humans' eating meat isn't solely for "greed" or excess, but real life concerns as well, (though modern consumerism has definitely pushed the envelope on that).

You ever have a cat? They torture for fun. Seriously, though, you should have a cat.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:41 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:36 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Jocose wrote:
I don't think it's really that dichotomous, I've heard that in some species of animals, predators do actually kill solely for sport, or to assert their "alpha dominance" over others.

(I suppose most would argue that animals don't have responsibility over their actions like humans do, but the notion of animals and nature being entirely "playful and innocent" except when corrupted by human activity is often over-romanticized by nature lovers and tree-huggers).

You ever have a cat? They torture for fun. Seriously, though, you should have a cat.
A white Persian cat?

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:45 pm

One time I was in Detroit for work. I popped over to an evening Tigers game. I stopped at a concessions booth and saw sliders on the menu. Yum... sliders. Like White Castle? Sounds yummy. I'll take 3 and some fries. Turns out they were sliders in the sense of the flat patty burgers (real sliders) not in the sense of mini-burgers (not really sliders). So I had a sack of 3 burgers. I decided it was unethical to eat all 3 and gave the 2 extra to young guys sitting in front of me. I don't think they have any ethical qualms about eating them.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:41 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Jocose wrote:

A white Persian cat?
No one needs a cat. FredS will back me up on this.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SI-7XUYvY
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:47 pm

I often ponder the passage in Luke about killing the fatted quinoa.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Remember, when you order a burger at 5 Guys, if you order a "regular" you'll get 2 patties. You have to order a "junior" for a single patty. Ethics.
Praying - coco
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:45 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 pm
Remember, when you order a burger at 5 Guys, if you order a "regular" you'll get 2 patties. You have to order a "junior" for a single patty. Ethics.
Semantics?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:11 am

Jocose wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:45 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 pm
Semantics?
You know, I think I got that wrong. The single patty burger is the “little” not “junior”.
Praying - coco

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 am

coco wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:41 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Jocose wrote:

A white Persian cat?
No one needs a cat. FredS will back me up on this.
Cat's are fine. With some fava beans and a nice chianti. Free range, of course.

In other news: We had a tom cat when I was a boy that did indeed torture for fun. He'd catch crickets and gently hold them in his front paws while he tore one or both hind legs off. Then he'd bat them around and flip them up in the air as they flopped around a few minutes before dying.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:26 am

If you know your dog is eating the turds out of the kitty litter, is it unethical to ignore the issue?
Praying - coco

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:40 am

John-Boy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:26 am
If you know your dog is eating the turds out of the kitty litter, is it unethical to ignore the issue?
It depends. If it annoys the cat, I am all for it. If the cat is laughing under his breath then kick the cat.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 am

Jester wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:40 am
John-Boy wrote:
It depends. If it annoys the cat, I am all for it. If the cat is laughing under his breath then kick the cat.
I'm fairly certain the cat doesn't care.
Praying - coco

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:42 am

John-Boy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 am
Jester wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Would you really want to eat a cat that's been turd-fed?

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:43 am

John-Boy wrote:
Jester wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
That's ok, every option leads to kicking the cat anyway.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:42 am
John-Boy wrote:
Jester wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Would you really want to eat a cat that's been turd-fed?
No, it's the dog that's turd fed. The cat gets Fancy Feast.
Praying - coco