What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

For those deep thinkers out there.
User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9401
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Goose55 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 pm

What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Image

"The beginning of sorrows is mentioned by Jesus Christ in Matthew 24:4-8. It is a period of time characterized by specific signs that indicate His return is near. These signs also cause an increase in pain and sorrow that the Bible likens to a woman as she goes through her pregnancy and is about to give birth.

"The analogy of a pregnant woman to the end times is drawn from Old Testament passages such as Isaiah 13:6-8 that describe the Day of the Lord. Prior to a woman giving birth, she experiences painful contractions. The culmination of the sorrows or birth pangs comes at delivery when the pain is most intense. After that, there is joy because of the child that is born!

"As with a woman about to give birth, the time from the beginning of sorrows until Jesus returns and establishes His eternal kingdom will be characterized by increasing pain and sorrow culminating with utter destruction when God judges the nations and in doing so destroys the beast’s (Antichrist’s) kingdom."

More, here: http://www.thewordonendtimes.com/what-i ... f-sorrows/
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 4738
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Fainn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm

To quote an old Baptist saying, "its later now than it's ever been." I think the widespread human sacrifice (abortion) and lgqt is a good indication that God is going to issue a core tion, although these are not signs listed in the Bible.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 22528
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Jocose » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Matthew 24;14

I think theres still a few unreached peoples out there.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof
Posts: 10047
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: University of Mars

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by AFRS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm

Fainn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm
To quote an old Baptist saying, "its later now than it's ever been." I think the widespread human sacrifice (abortion) and lgqt is a good indication that God is going to issue a core tion, although these are not signs listed in the Bible.
Maybe not named specifically but generically to be sure. The other signs listed are the sorts of things that have plagued human history from time immemorial; volcanos, earthquakes, famine, floods, pestilence, plagues, etc. the difference being that they'll increase in frequency and potency. Just like a woman's labour.

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 am

AFRS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm
Fainn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm
To quote an old Baptist saying, "its later now than it's ever been." I think the widespread human sacrifice (abortion) and lgqt is a good indication that God is going to issue a core tion, although these are not signs listed in the Bible.
Maybe not named specifically but generically to be sure. The other signs listed are the sorts of things that have plagued human history from time immemorial; volcanos, earthquakes, famine, floods, pestilence, plagues, etc. the difference being that they'll increase in frequency and potency. Just like a woman's labour.

The rebirth of the nation of Israel and the return of Jews from all over the world is a big sign to me. But I still have no clue as to the timeline. Still, looking from my layman's eyes it appears that a lot of the prophecies are being fulfilled that have never happened before since Christ was crucified. It also appears to me that armies are being arrayed against Israel.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15138
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 am

Jesus is talking to "this generation" about things that are to soon take place and what they need to look for - namely the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem in AD 70 and the fall of the city to the Romans.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19262
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 am

Ping me when it's time for the monkey knife fight.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15138
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 am
Ping me when it's time for the monkey knife fight.
If by knife you mean poo, then I'm out.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20352
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by wosbald » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 am

+JMJ+

"Deciding to click on this thread?"





Just a thought.

:chili:

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9401
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 am
Jesus is talking to "this generation" about things that are to soon take place and what they need to look for - namely the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem in AD 70 and the fall of the city to the Romans.
Yes, but after He mentioned "this generation" in v34 it is written that He said (v37) "as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." So, it can't be referring to just the generation that was alive at the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans. I've even heard some declare that Jesus promised return already happened back then, which of course is wrong.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19262
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am

I need to know what the Message Bible says before I can really decide.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9401
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:26 am

Double post deleted
Last edited by Goose55 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9401
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am
I need to know what the Message Bible says before I can really decide.
"This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won’t wear out."

KJV Strong's G1074 (often translated "generation") matches the Greek γενεά (genea), from where Eugene Peterson no doubt derived the term "age."....

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/ ... rimary_0_1
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19262
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am
I need to know what the Message Bible says before I can really decide.
"This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won’t wear out."

KJV Strong's G1074 (often translated "generation") matches the Greek γενεά (genea), from where Eugene Peterson no doubt derived the term "age."....

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/ ... rimary_0_1
Thanks. Let me just plug in the “age” and add in the Kabbal-ic value for “Eugene”...don’t forget to carry the one...according to this, the world as we know it came to an end on February 11, 2016.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9401
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:14 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am
I need to know what the Message Bible says before I can really decide.
"This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won’t wear out."

KJV Strong's G1074 (often translated "generation") matches the Greek γενεά (genea), from where Eugene Peterson no doubt derived the term "age."....

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/ ... rimary_0_1
Thanks. Let me just plug in the “age” and add in the Kabbal-ic value for “Eugene”...don’t forget to carry the one...according to this, the world as we know it came to an end on February 11, 2016.
That might be stretching it a wee bit
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37077
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by UncleBob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 am
+JMJ+

"Deciding to click on this thread?"





Just a thought.

:chili:
I see what you did there.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19262
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:14 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am
I need to know what the Message Bible says before I can really decide.
"This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won’t wear out."

KJV Strong's G1074 (often translated "generation") matches the Greek γενεά (genea), from where Eugene Peterson no doubt derived the term "age."....

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/ ... rimary_0_1
Thanks. Let me just plug in the “age” and add in the Kabbal-ic value for “Eugene”...don’t forget to carry the one...according to this, the world as we know it came to an end on February 11, 2016.
That might be stretching it a wee bit
Indeed. It was only the beginning of our sorrows. :D
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs
Posts: 39098
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Del » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Personally.... I reckon that the 'beginning of sorrows' started with the fracturing of Christendom in the Reformation. And now we are enduring a millennium of tribulations. One can't even count all of the genocides since Cromwell.

I have not bothered to tie this to the sort of biblical prophecies that American fundamentalist Christians are so fond of. No one would pay attention to me, even if I did.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof
Posts: 10047
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: University of Mars

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by AFRS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 am
AFRS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm
Fainn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm
To quote an old Baptist saying, "its later now than it's ever been." I think the widespread human sacrifice (abortion) and lgqt is a good indication that God is going to issue a core tion, although these are not signs listed in the Bible.
Maybe not named specifically but generically to be sure. The other signs listed are the sorts of things that have plagued human history from time immemorial; volcanos, earthquakes, famine, floods, pestilence, plagues, etc. the difference being that they'll increase in frequency and potency. Just like a woman's labour.

The rebirth of the nation of Israel and the return of Jews from all over the world is a big sign to me. But I still have no clue as to the timeline. Still, looking from my layman's eyes it appears that a lot of the prophecies are being fulfilled that have never happened before since Christ was crucified. It also appears to me that armies are being arrayed against Israel.
Here's an interesting article on time: http://prophecynewswatch.com/article.cf ... ws_id=2956

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: What Is the Beginning of Sorrows that Jesus spoke of?

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:08 pm

AFRS wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:00 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 am
AFRS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm
Fainn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm
To quote an old Baptist saying, "its later now than it's ever been." I think the widespread human sacrifice (abortion) and lgqt is a good indication that God is going to issue a core tion, although these are not signs listed in the Bible.
Maybe not named specifically but generically to be sure. The other signs listed are the sorts of things that have plagued human history from time immemorial; volcanos, earthquakes, famine, floods, pestilence, plagues, etc. the difference being that they'll increase in frequency and potency. Just like a woman's labour.

The rebirth of the nation of Israel and the return of Jews from all over the world is a big sign to me. But I still have no clue as to the timeline. Still, looking from my layman's eyes it appears that a lot of the prophecies are being fulfilled that have never happened before since Christ was crucified. It also appears to me that armies are being arrayed against Israel.
Here's an interesting article on time: http://prophecynewswatch.com/article.cf ... ws_id=2956
Thanks!
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Post Reply