Unpardonable Sin?

For those deep thinkers out there.
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Unpardonable Sin?

Post by Fainn » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:46 pm

I have researched this for years and still can't find any consensus.
Haters gonna hate - Proverbs 9:8.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: Unpardonable Sin?

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:08 pm

Mark 3:28-30:

"Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin. He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying, 'He has an evil spirit'."

I just take this at face value. It's calling what is good, bad. What is bad, good. And don't we see this being played out today in so-called "progressive" ideologies?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:08 pm

"Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin. He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying, 'He has an evil spirit'."

I just take this at face value. It's calling what is good, bad. What is bad, good. And don't we see this being played out today in so-called "progressive" ideologies?
Some think it is unbelief.
Haters gonna hate - Proverbs 9:8.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:08 pm

Some think it is unbelief.
That verse above helps me. "He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying, 'He has an evil spirit'." Calling what is Good, evil.

I think also that anyone worried about having committed the unpardonable sin need not be worried. For, worry about it means God is still striving for that heart.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:01 pm

“R.C. Sproul” wrote:Humanly speaking, everyone who is a Christian is capable of committing the unforgivable sin. However, I believe that the Lord of glory who has saved us and sealed us in the Holy Spirit will never let us commit that sin. I do not believe that any Christians in the history of the church have blasphemed the Spirit.

As for those who are not sure they are saved and are worried they may have committed the unpardonable sin, I would say that worrying about it is one of the clearest evidences that they have not committed this sin, for those who commit it are so hardened in their hearts they do not care that they commit it. Thanks be to God that the sin that is unpardonable is not a sin He allows His people to commit.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:36 pm

I was lead to believe, by reading other CPS threads, that the unpardonable sin is to poink a cob.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:36 pm
I was lead to believe, by reading other CPS threads, that the unpardonable sin is to poink a cob.

Well, that too.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:36 pm

No, it’s putting a Forever Stem in a c0B.

Perhaps they are the same thing.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:46 pm
Perhaps you can show your years of research and we can go from there?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:13 am

Fainn wrote:
Consensus on most any matter; religion, politics, history, economics, etc.; is well nigh impossible to find. It is even difficult to find perfect consensus in the Roman Catholic Church on matters of religion, and this is the one place, if anywhere, one might expect to find it. (And before anyone jumps on me, there isn't consensus on this issue among Catholics.)
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:50 am

I sometimes have trouble getting a consensus on what to eat for lunch, when I am the only one in the house.

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:51 am

coco wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:13 am
Fainn wrote:
Consensus on most any matter; religion, politics, history, economics, etc.; is well nigh impossible to find. It is even difficult to find perfect consensus in the Roman Catholic Church on matters of religion, and this is the one place, if anywhere, one might expect to find it. (And before anyone jumps on me, there isn't consensus on this issue among Catholics.)
I love how you try to point out Catholic rigidity then schism until there are 432 recognized, warring sects of Baptist in South Carolina alone. There’s a ton more freedom in that Catechism than your Confessions. :D :clown:

Only Goose knows for sure.

That’s all. Continue on with your daily routine.

Splitter.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 am

As probably the least educated member here, I thought I'd join in anyway. I thought that blaspheming against the Holy Spirit was the unforgivable sin. And I thought that meant rejecting the Holy Spirit which seems to me to be unforgivable since you aren't asking or wanting forgiveness. Just my uneducated two cents.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 pm

There is a consensus among Thomists, if that counts.
Question 14, Articles 3 &4 in the Summa Theologica
And for added value: Augustine (De Verb. Dom., Serm. lxxi)
You're welcome!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:50 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:51 am
coco wrote:
Fainn wrote:
I love how you try to point out Catholic rigidity then schism until there are 432 recognized, warring sects of Baptist in South Carolina alone. There’s a ton more freedom in that Catechism than your Confessions. :D :clown:

Splitter.
My point is that consensus on anything is well nigh impossible.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:15 am

coco wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:50 am
hugodrax wrote:
coco wrote:
Fainn wrote:

Splitter.
I disagree.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:15 am
coco wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
coco wrote:
Fainn wrote:

Splitter.
I disagree.
I see what you did there.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:40 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:15 am
coco wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
coco wrote:
Fainn wrote:

Splitter.
I disagree.
I see what you did there.
I doubt it.