Loving your pastor

For those deep thinkers out there.
User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19275
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:10 am

Fainn wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:16 pm
I only like my pastor as a friend.
You made me laugh.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25623
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:26 am

FWIW I enjoy being in the company of my priest during social occasions (mainly beer drinking and cigar smokers) and would like to get to know him better, but there are a lot of Catholics and very few priests to attend to them all, so I don't want to try and monopolize what free time he has.
So i make it a point to drop by lemons & tomatoes and corn from my garden, as much to affirm my gratitude and concern as it is a gesture of friendship.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29755
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by coco » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 am

It is common where I am from for people to say, "That was a good sermon, pastor." To be sure, it could be a heartfelt compliment. Quite often, however, it is a phrase that is repeated because it is the culturally appropriate thing to say.

If you really want to encourage your pastor, tell him how you actually used something from his sermon the previous Sunday.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29755
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by coco » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:14 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:26 am
FWIW I enjoy being in the company of my priest during social occasions (mainly beer drinking and cigar smokers) and would like to get to know him better, but there are a lot of Catholics and very few priests to attend to them all, so I don't want to try and monopolize what free time he has.
So i make it a point to drop by lemons & tomatoes and corn from my garden, as much to affirm my gratitude and concern as it is a gesture of friendship.
:bacon:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:27 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 am
It is common where I am from for people to say, "That was a good sermon, pastor." To be sure, it could be a hearfelt compliment. Quite often, however, it is a phrase that is repeated because it is the culturall appropriate thing to say.

If you really want to encourage your pastor, tell him how you actually used something from his sermon the previous Sunday.
Well that brings us full circle to where we started. Most adult men don't need to be stroked but we all like to be told once in a while that what we do matters and that we've done good at it. We all know what coco means about insincere encouragement and we can spot it and dismiss it with our own fake smile and 'thank you'. It's the reason fathers don't let their 8 year old sons win every driveway basketball game. When it's real it matters, when it's not, it doesn't.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19275
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:27 pm
coco wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 am
It is common where I am from for people to say, "That was a good sermon, pastor." To be sure, it could be a hearfelt compliment. Quite often, however, it is a phrase that is repeated because it is the culturall appropriate thing to say.

If you really want to encourage your pastor, tell him how you actually used something from his sermon the previous Sunday.
Well that brings us full circle to where we started. Most adult men don't need to be stroked but we all like to be told once in a while that what we do matters and that we've done good at it. We all know what coco means about insincere encouragement and we can spot it and dismiss it with our own fake smile and 'thank you'. It's the reason fathers don't let their 8 year old sons win every driveway basketball game. When it's real it matters, when it's not, it doesn't.
I don't know. I mean I agree, Fred. Don't think I don't. But I also think the Devil has his eye out for those who are on the front lines of the battle. I've seen enough priests get destroyed because of parishioners not wanting to hear their message and my friend (not using the term loosely, either) Coco has been through some situations that make my blood boil.

I tend to keep things as encouraging as possible with clergymen. They see so much death and sin and struggle on our behalf that they deserve a truly good word more often than a kick in the pants.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29755
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by coco » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:27 pm
coco wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 am
It is common where I am from for people to say, "That was a good sermon, pastor." To be sure, it could be a heartfelt compliment. Quite often, however, it is a phrase that is repeated because it is the culturally appropriate thing to say.

If you really want to encourage your pastor, tell him how you actually used something from his sermon the previous Sunday.
Well that brings us full circle to where we started. Most adult men don't need to be stroked but we all like to be told once in a while that what we do matters and that we've done good at it. We all know what coco means about insincere encouragement and we can spot it and dismiss it with our own fake smile and 'thank you'. It's the reason fathers don't let their 8 year old sons win every driveway basketball game. When it's real it matters, when it's not, it doesn't.
I don't know. I mean I agree, Fred. Don't think I don't. But I also think the Devil has his eye out for those who are on the front lines of the battle. I've seen enough priests get destroyed because of parishioners not wanting to hear their message and my friend (not using the term loosely, either) Coco has been through some situations that make my blood boil.

I tend to keep things as encouraging as possible with clergymen. They see so much death and sin and struggle on our behalf that they deserve a truly good word more often than a kick in the pants.
I don't think of the insincere compliment as being bad, really. It is culturally appropriate. It's what you do, like saying "fine" when someone asks how you are. It just isn't nearly as good as a real compliment. One real compliment can make able to face plenty of kicks.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19275
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:50 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:27 pm
coco wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 am
It is common where I am from for people to say, "That was a good sermon, pastor." To be sure, it could be a heartfelt compliment. Quite often, however, it is a phrase that is repeated because it is the culturally appropriate thing to say.

If you really want to encourage your pastor, tell him how you actually used something from his sermon the previous Sunday.
Well that brings us full circle to where we started. Most adult men don't need to be stroked but we all like to be told once in a while that what we do matters and that we've done good at it. We all know what coco means about insincere encouragement and we can spot it and dismiss it with our own fake smile and 'thank you'. It's the reason fathers don't let their 8 year old sons win every driveway basketball game. When it's real it matters, when it's not, it doesn't.
I don't know. I mean I agree, Fred. Don't think I don't. But I also think the Devil has his eye out for those who are on the front lines of the battle. I've seen enough priests get destroyed because of parishioners not wanting to hear their message and my friend (not using the term loosely, either) Coco has been through some situations that make my blood boil.

I tend to keep things as encouraging as possible with clergymen. They see so much death and sin and struggle on our behalf that they deserve a truly good word more often than a kick in the pants.
I don't think of the insincere compliment as being bad, really. It is culturally appropriate. It's what you do, like saying "fine" when someone asks how you are. It just isn't nearly as good as a real compliment. One real compliment can make able to face plenty of kicks.
I'd imagine it would be like a thank you letter from a client that successfully turned his life around. Rare as hen's teeth but encouraging as all get out.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23688
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Comments from the over protective butthole son of a pastor retracted.

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Another point to consider. . .

The pastor at my dad's church when he died was an interim guy so he didn't know my dad all that well. It was totally not his fault, but his (very short) part in the funeral service was pathetic. When I go, I'd like the fella saying words over me to know a few slightly off-color or embarassing personal stories about me that he can lighten the mood with.

"I remember a time when Fred poured water on the incense behind the alter because he was worried the curtain would catch fire. He didn't realize the Monks were still celebrating mass."

"I remember a few times, when his children were young and difficult to wrangle on Sunday mornings, when Fred complained to me that he'd been pulled over for speeding on his way to church. He said 'I hope you and God are happy with the effort I made to get here.' "

"I remember when Fred brought a bottle of Laughlin Scotch on retreat and nobody else wanted to share it. He said he wasn't taking it home, so he and I stayed up in to the wee hours of the morning to finish it."

"I remember when we let Fred cook the hamburgers for a church picnic. Those that he didn't burn were still frozen inside."

"I remember that time when Fred crawled through the mud in the crawlspace to fix a plumbing leak before church. By God's grace, he excused himself from the service that day."

"When we went on men's retreats, Fred would pretty much vanish after Friday evening arrival 'till it was time to go home. We were never sure exactly what he was doing, but we knew he liked doing it alone."

Stuff like that.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19275
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:24 pm

That's exactly the kind of thing I dont want. Say a mass for my soul and keep the stories and the eulogies for the funeral home where they belong.

The service is serious. It's the last of the Four Last Things.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:33 pm

^ Catholic Killjoy ^
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19275
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:35 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:33 pm
^ Catholic Killjoy ^
Rules of the One True Faith, my boy.

I'm not opposed to being joked about. I like that idea. But it doesn't belong in a funeral Mass. Returning a soul to God is serious.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by FredS » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:42 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:35 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:33 pm
^ Catholic Killjoy ^
Rules of the One True Faith, my boy.

I'm not opposed to being joked about. I like that idea. But it doesn't belong in a funeral Mass. Returning a soul to God is serious.
This is in the Theology Room and we're on the second page so. . .
I disagree.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 10717
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:57 am

I like the pastor where we currently worship. He's been there 20+ years, and we've been there 4 years, and when he sees us he still speaks to us as though we are Brand New members.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses
Posts: 3851
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Loving your pastor

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 pm

Just be kind to them. Respect them and please please please never speak ill of them behind their back. Defend them and protect them ... It's what they do for you, afterall.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Post Reply