AM I ALONE?

For those deep thinkers out there.
User avatar
Humble Pipe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:41 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA

AM I ALONE?

Post by Humble Pipe » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:27 pm

I appreciate the discussions regarding Theology here. Until my early 20s, I was imbedded in a Protestant-Pentecostal denomination. After a bad experience, I spent the next 20 years reacting against that experience and the Theology of that denomination. Eventually I realized that, ironically, in being hyper-reactive against that denomination/Theology – my ability to study scripture and Christian history with an open heart/mind was hampered by the baggage I was carrying. Even worse and very inconvenient, as I evolved spiritually over the years I eventually came to the realization that I was complicit to some extent in that negative experience with said denomination.

Now in my mid-50s, I still have a passion for delving into and researching Theology. I do regret that I have struggled for many years to identify with a specific church, denomination, sect, etc. I am not even 100% certain I am a Protestant. In fact, at one point I became so disillusioned with the situation that I nearly left the faith (years ago). God is good and patient. While I am still trying to figure out where I belong in terms of a Christian community and where I best align Theologically, I know in my bones that I belong to God and I would not have it any other way.

Just thought I’d share in case someone else has had the same struggles. If so, you are not alone.
“You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” Unkown

User avatar
FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik
Posts: 23517
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:57 pm

We have one guy here who's been a Catholic his entire life, and - as far as I know - never really questioned his faith. That's admirable for sure and, evidently, his parents did a bang up job raising him. Most others though, took the long way home. You're not alone. Remember, He'll leave the 99 to find you.

I really would suggest you find a local church though. We aren't wired to do this alone. When was your last time? Why don't you go back? Do you have any local church-going friends?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
AnungUnRama
Elder
Elder
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am
Location: The armpit of the midwest

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by AnungUnRama » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:26 pm

When I was in Switzerland, a guy asked me out of the blue if I was a Christian. I said yes. He then asked me what segregation. I thought "that is a GREAT term!"

Denominations, protestant, catholic, whatever are extra - biblical. As in they're not there in Scripture. Do you believe Jesus is who He says He is and did what He said He would? Those are the questions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


User avatar
Humble Pipe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:41 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by Humble Pipe » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:46 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:57 pm
We have one guy here who's been a Catholic his entire life, and - as far as I know - never really questioned his faith. That's admirable for sure and, evidently, his parents did a bang up job raising him. Most others though, took the long way home. You're not alone. Remember, He'll leave the 99 to find you.

I really would suggest you find a local church though. We aren't wired to do this alone. When was your last time? Why don't you go back? Do you have any local church-going friends?
I attend a church fairly regular and get involved... it's something I am working on, staying plugged in and connected. I'd give myself a C-.
“You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” Unkown

User avatar
Humble Pipe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:41 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by Humble Pipe » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:49 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:26 pm
When I was in Switzerland, a guy asked me out of the blue if I was a Christian. I said yes. He then asked me what segregation. I thought "that is a GREAT term!"

Denominations, protestant, catholic, whatever are extra - biblical. As in they're not there in Scripture. Do you believe Jesus is who He says He is and did what He said He would? Those are the questions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Pretty much where I am at. However, I envy those who are plugged in to a Christian community and dedicated to it. I am grounded in my belief, but not committed to a community. I am working on it...
“You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” Unkown

User avatar
FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik
Posts: 23517
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:17 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:26 pm
Denominations, protestant, catholic, whatever are extra - biblical. As in they're not there in Scripture. Do you believe Jesus is who He says He is and did what He said He would? Those are the questions.
Those are the big questions, for sure.

There's eleventy billion smaller ones about how that looks here in the real world and how we live it day to day.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia
Posts: 29948
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:52 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:57 pm
We have one guy here who's been a Catholic his entire life, and - as far as I know - never really questioned his faith. That's admirable for sure and, evidently, his parents did a bang up job raising him. Most others though, took the long way home. You're not alone. Remember, He'll leave the 99 to find you.

I really would suggest you find a local church though. We aren't wired to do this alone. When was your last time? Why don't you go back? Do you have any local church-going friends?
This right here.

Folks praying with and for you is critical, no matter what color the paint on the walls are.
DL Jake

I cook cornbread in my underwear. - JimVH

Don't fret if it flames up a bit. - Del

User avatar
424cat
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 pm
Location: middle tennessee

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by 424cat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Humble Pipe wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:46 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:57 pm
We have one guy here who's been a Catholic his entire life, and - as far as I know - never really questioned his faith. That's admirable for sure and, evidently, his parents did a bang up job raising him. Most others though, took the long way home. You're not alone. Remember, He'll leave the 99 to find you.

I really would suggest you find a local church though. We aren't wired to do this alone. When was your last time? Why don't you go back? Do you have any local church-going friends?
I attend a church fairly regular and get involved... it's something I am working on, staying plugged in and connected. I'd give myself a C-.
X2 :( But, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm a child of God. :chili: On the one hand, I'm connected and very close and personal with him. On the other hand, I feel judged by certain Christian's around me. Because I'm not living up to their standards and I do not have their personality. Making me feel like I'm not a very good Christian.

We all do not have the personality of Paul. Some of us are more laid back and reserved. Being a witness comes in many forms. Just seems that some of us that don't have a "type A" personality are looked down upon.
on bended knee

User avatar
Del
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel
Posts: 40987
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by Del » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm

424cat wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:20 pm
Humble Pipe wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:46 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:57 pm
We have one guy here who's been a Catholic his entire life, and - as far as I know - never really questioned his faith. That's admirable for sure and, evidently, his parents did a bang up job raising him. Most others though, took the long way home. You're not alone. Remember, He'll leave the 99 to find you.

I really would suggest you find a local church though. We aren't wired to do this alone. When was your last time? Why don't you go back? Do you have any local church-going friends?
I attend a church fairly regular and get involved... it's something I am working on, staying plugged in and connected. I'd give myself a C-.
X2 :( But, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm a child of God. :chili: On the one hand, I'm connected and very close and personal with him. On the other hand, I feel judged by certain Christian's around me. Because I'm not living up to their standards and I do not have their personality. Making me feel like I'm not a very good Christian.

We all do not have the personality of Paul. Some of us are more laid back and reserved. Being a witness comes in many forms. Just seems that some of us that don't have a "type A" personality are looked down upon.
Jesus established His Church on Peter and the Apostles. That might have been enough.... they were the biblically significant number of 12.

But it wasn't enough. Jesus needed a Pharisee.... and not just any Pharisee, but the most highly educated and zealous Pharisee. This was His chosen one for zealous missionary work, with his dramatic witness of conversion. And Paul had the deep knowledge of Scripture and rhetoric needed to be the author of most of the apostolic writings which were received by Christ's Church to be its sacred scripture.

We can't all be Paul.
REMEMBER HOLDING PANDEMIC AID HOSTAGE FOR PARTISAN PORK!
REMEMBER THE FISA ABUSE!
REMEMBER KAVANAUGH!
REMEMBER THE IMPEACHMENT!

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 5733
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by Fainn » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:48 pm

I spent 8 misguided years in Messianic Judaism before coming back home to the Southern Baptist faith.

All people are worth praying for - Hugodrax.

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 14957
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by tuttle » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:08 am

Humble Pipe wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:49 pm
I am grounded in my belief, but not committed to a community. I am working on it...
It's a tough spot to be in. I've been there. Keep asking our Lord for it.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 11750
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:41 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:08 am
Humble Pipe wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:49 pm
I am grounded in my belief, but not committed to a community. I am working on it...
It's a tough spot to be in. I've been there. Keep asking our Lord for it.
My wife and I are pretty much in that tough spot now, after being actively involved in local churches our entire lives. We view it as a season, for now. When we get there, we worship on Sunday mornings at the church where our daughter and her family attend. Otherwise we watch the previous week's service on line, and we give on line, and we attend a Wed night bible study when there is one. But we haven't been in a Sunday morning Bible study class ("Sunday School") in probably 5 years, and pretty much are just not connected. Problem is that we truly wish to be but just aren't finding it.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more
Posts: 18730
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:11 am

I was on your shoes. Raised Baptist, became disillusioned with my experiences in the church.

My journey took me to Catholicism. Don’t be afraid to venture into other denominations. The community of your church is important.
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

User avatar
Humble Pipe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:41 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by Humble Pipe » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:00 am

Encouraging to know others are walking this road. As has been pointed out here, keep on keeping on. I will continue to make the effort AND to rely on the Lord to lead me.
“You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” Unkown

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 23609
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by Jocose » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:28 pm

Image
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia
Posts: 29948
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:10 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:28 pm
Image
:pie:
DL Jake

I cook cornbread in my underwear. - JimVH

Don't fret if it flames up a bit. - Del

User avatar
FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik
Posts: 23517
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:02 pm

Maybe we should have a draft to see who can entice Mr Pipe to join their team. :chili:

My Team Pros:
awesome, local, fresh ground coffee
you can drink it in the 'sanctuary'
plenty of free parking, and we save the front row for visitors and pregos
we gather for noon prayer on Wednesdays

My Team Cons:
we don't have a fog machine
we don't have a softball team
Last edited by FredS on Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Del
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel
Posts: 40987
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by Del » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:41 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:10 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:28 pm
Image
:pie:
If you want to know what the Scripture really means, ask the Church to Whom that Scripture was given!
REMEMBER HOLDING PANDEMIC AID HOSTAGE FOR PARTISAN PORK!
REMEMBER THE FISA ABUSE!
REMEMBER KAVANAUGH!
REMEMBER THE IMPEACHMENT!

User avatar
Humble Pipe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:41 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by Humble Pipe » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:45 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:41 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:10 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:28 pm
Image
:pie:
If you want to know what the Scripture really means, ask the Church to Whom that Scripture was given!
And I thought this thread was going so well... LOL.
“You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” Unkown

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 14957
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by tuttle » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Humble Pipe wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:45 pm
Del wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:41 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:10 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:28 pm
Image
:pie:
If you want to know what the Scripture really means, ask the Church to Whom that Scripture was given!
And I thought this thread was going so well... LOL.
Much you have to learn young padawan
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Post Reply