Re: AM I ALONE?

Post by Humble Pipe » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:14 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:10 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:02 pm
Maybe we should have a draft to see who can entice Mr Pipe to join their team. :chili:

My Team Pros:
awesome, local, fresh ground coffee
you can drink it in the 'sanctuary'
plenty of free parking, and we save the front row for visitors and pregos
we gather for noon prayer on Wednesdays

My Team Cons:
we don't have a fog machine
we don't have a softball team
Well my team is more awesome, serves flesh AND blood EVERY day, AND Jesus lives in a gold box in EVERY church. So THERE, LOSER!
Jesus lives in my heart, not your box.

Bite me hoser.

“You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” Unkown

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:03 pm

FredS wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
FredS wrote:
Maybe we should have a draft to see who can entice Mr Pipe to join their team. :chili:

My Team Pros:

My Team Cons:
Well my team is more awesome, serves flesh AND blood EVERY day, AND Jesus lives in a gold box in EVERY church. So THERE, LOSER!

Bite me hoser.
Why are you so mean???
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:11 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:03 pm
FredS wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
FredS wrote:

My Team Pros:

My Team Cons:

Bite me hoser.
Why are you so mean???
Fred'S been breaking bad ever since he bought that weed ranch.
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

The future is certain; it’s the past that keeps changing. ~ Old Soviet joke

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:51 am

Del wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:11 am
TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:03 pm
FredS wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
FredS wrote:

My Team Pros:

My Team Cons:

Bite me hoser.
Why are you so mean???
Fred'S been breaking bad ever since he bought that weed ranch.
:lol:
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:07 am

Humble Pipe wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:27 pm
I appreciate the discussions regarding Theology here. Until my early 20s, I was imbedded in a Protestant-Pentecostal denomination. After a bad experience, I spent the next 20 years reacting against that experience and the Theology of that denomination. Eventually I realized that, ironically, in being hyper-reactive against that denomination/Theology – my ability to study scripture and Christian history with an open heart/mind was hampered by the baggage I was carrying. Even worse and very inconvenient, as I evolved spiritually over the years I eventually came to the realization that I was complicit to some extent in that negative experience with said denomination.

Now in my mid-50s, I still have a passion for delving into and researching Theology. I do regret that I have struggled for many years to identify with a specific church, denomination, sect, etc. I am not even 100% certain I am a Protestant. In fact, at one point I became so disillusioned with the situation that I nearly left the faith (years ago). God is good and patient. While I am still trying to figure out where I belong in terms of a Christian community and where I best align Theologically, I know in my bones that I belong to God and I would not have it any other way.

Just thought I’d share in case someone else has had the same struggles. If so, you are not alone.
There was a CPS'er named GScott who died a few years ago, but he left us with the story of his path back home. You can download the Kindle version for free or buy the book here. It's a quick read about a guy who left his childhood church in search of the truth and how God pursued him until he finally turned back home.

It's encouraging to know that you're not alone. It's also encouraging to understand our children - who've perhaps wandered - are not lost causes. He will pursue them the way He had to pursue many of us. The way He went after Giles.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Humble Pipe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Humble Pipe » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:07 am
Humble Pipe wrote:
I appreciate the discussions regarding Theology here. Until my early 20s, I was imbedded in a Protestant-Pentecostal denomination. After a bad experience, I spent the next 20 years reacting against that experience and the Theology of that denomination. Eventually I realized that, ironically, in being hyper-reactive against that denomination/Theology – my ability to study scripture and Christian history with an open heart/mind was hampered by the baggage I was carrying. Even worse and very inconvenient, as I evolved spiritually over the years I eventually came to the realization that I was complicit to some extent in that negative experience with said denomination.

Now in my mid-50s, I still have a passion for delving into and researching Theology. I do regret that I have struggled for many years to identify with a specific church, denomination, sect, etc. I am not even 100% certain I am a Protestant. In fact, at one point I became so disillusioned with the situation that I nearly left the faith (years ago). God is good and patient. While I am still trying to figure out where I belong in terms of a Christian community and where I best align Theologically, I know in my bones that I belong to God and I would not have it any other way.

Just thought I’d share in case someone else has had the same struggles. If so, you are not alone.
There was a CPS'er named GScott who died a few years ago, but he left us with the story of his path back home. You can download the Kindle version for free or buy the book here. It's a quick read about a guy who left his childhood church in search of the truth and how God pursued him until he finally turned back home.

It's encouraging to know that you're not alone. It's also encouraging to understand our children - who've perhaps wandered - are not lost causes. He will pursue them the way He had to pursue many of us. The way He went after Giles.
Amen to this! 100%.

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 am

I linked to the Thriftbooks.com site in my post above. They do have a copy right now, but you can find it for the same price or free on amazon.

Hooked: An Unlikely Spiritual Journey by GScott
Last edited by FredS on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:47 am

Humble Pipe wrote:

I had a similar experience over a long period of time, too.. But a few years ago I had a remarkable answer to the prayer: "Lord, give to me a thankful heart." It arrived FedEx Overnight Express.

I think it is very interesting and a great comfort that after Jesus heard that the man born blind was thrown out of the Synagogue, He went and looked for him. This tells me that God counts religious wounding as a serious matter. He, also, of course experienced a religious wound as well.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

RocketMan
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RocketMan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:34 am

Humble Pipe wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:00 am
Encouraging to know others are walking this road. As has been pointed out here, keep on keeping on. I will continue to make the effort AND to rely on the Lord to lead me.
Let's meet up when we can and have a smoke.
"Abba, your real Papa."

Humble Pipe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Humble Pipe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am

RocketMan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:34 am
Humble Pipe wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:00 am
Encouraging to know others are walking this road. As has been pointed out here, keep on keeping on. I will continue to make the effort AND to rely on the Lord to lead me.
Let's meet up when we can and have a smoke.
Yes, brother. I'll count on that!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Since the early 20th century, American Christians have been moving progressively farther and farther away from explicit theological formulations. "Dogmatics," rather than denoting the essential beliefs that Christians should agree upon, has become a bad word.

There were a number of reasons for this change,* but not the least of them was that many people were fed up with bickering between denominations concerning what were then viewed to be peripheral matters. Among Protestants a hundred years ago, the number of essential theological truths were boiled down to a few "fundamentals." Since that time, even many of the fundamentals have become non-essential, with the defining mark of a true Christian as being something like, "He has nice things to say about Jesus." Most of the rest of the stuff is now considered debatable and certainly non-essential.

Ironically, this has not lessened the number of denominations, nor has it led to unity. There are certain questions that everyone must answer, questions about God, salvation, sin, the nature of man, Heaven and Hell, and so on. These questions increasingly find answers not within a particular church tradition or even the Bible, but are answered according to the the desires of the individual. The number of denominations has increased tremendously since dogmatism was abandoned, and now it is common for individual Protestant churches to have individual views concerning such questions, and for the members of these churches to have views that differ vastly from that of the church. If unity involves a unity of belief, we have failed.

So, the majority of Americans believe that "we should just love Jesus and that's enough." For them, theological minimalism is still the way to go. Those seeking true beliefs are fewer. Those seeking true beliefs from a biblical foundation are fewer still.

*Post-Kantian philosophy, Protestant liberalism, Anti-evolutionism, Mott/Lausanne ecumenism, globalism... the list goes on and on
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:53 pm

When asked which is the greatest commandment, the Christian New Testament depicts Jesus paraphrasing the Torah: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind," before also paraphrasing a second passage; "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself "

Coco's point in the previous post is well taken. But I think
make it way too complicated. Jesus said the little children were the greatest in heaven, more so than the theologians.

I want to focus on this until I get it right. Should that occur I will move on to something else.

I could be wrong of course but for now it's me and Jesus

I do my best work by accident.