Word on Fire Gospels

For those deep thinkers out there.
hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Word on Fire Gospels

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:25 am

The Word on Fire Gospels is a really unique book put out by Bishop Barron. It consists of the Gospels, in a simple footnote-free translation, side by side with Catholic authors and great artwork together with explanation of the symbolism conveyed by the artist.

It isnt a study Bible. It's an introduction to the person and world of the Living Christ. Word on Fire assumes no great familiarity on the part of the reader, and that makes it pretty unique. Thick paper, large print and great production is an added bonus.

The ultimate goal is to release the entire Bible in this format. I was skeptical, but I'm really happy with the purchase. It slows down a speed reader like me in the sense that I might still be reading a lot, but I'm only reading about a few verses and I've found it's approach helps me down the lectio divina path of letting the words and their meaning roll around in my mind. I often fall asleep over it, which sounds goofy but is actually a really nice thing.

Highly recommended to Catholic readers. It's a gentle catechism without the Hammer of Del some of the more scholarly tomes adopt.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Re: Word on Fire Gospels

Post by Del » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:48 am

And if you want the Hammer of Del, it's available on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Ancientsmithy ... =718157082

"The media that sold Russian Collusion, Trump is Hitler and Brett Kavanaugh is a rapist now says Biden won." -- Andrew Klavan

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:06 pm

I gave it a look (the bible not the hammer). What a beaut!
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:31 pm

tuttle wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:06 pm
I gave it a look (the bible not the hammer). What a beaut!
If anyone else wants to give it a look (the Bible)...

The Word on Fire Bible

Pope Benedict remarked that the world is no longer interested in truth, and has grown to actively reject goodness.... so he encouraged us to evangelize through the way of beauty. Much of the western world still has a natural human attraction to beauty.
"The media that sold Russian Collusion, Trump is Hitler and Brett Kavanaugh is a rapist now says Biden won." -- Andrew Klavan

Docrameous
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Docrameous » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Awesome looking Bible. I love the connection to the Art and history of the church, particularly the church fathers. At least in some church streams, some of this has been lost. It is so cool to reflect on those that have gone before us!

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Very cool.
DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel