Favorite Catholic Devotions

For those deep thinkers out there.

What is your favorite Catholic Devotion?

The Rosary
13%
The Divine Mercy Chaplet
No votes
Eucharistic Adoration
38%
Liturgy of the Hours
50%

Total votes: 8

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Favorite Catholic Devotions

Post by Del » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:26 pm

Let us know if you have any other special devotions and prayers that have helped you on your journey.

Actually, this is just an excuse to get to know my fellow Catholics on the forum a little better.

Other Christians, please chime in if it pleases you!

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:52 pm

+JMJ+
Del,
Do you think that "favorite" is the appropriate term for your poll? Next to receiving Our Lord sacramentally, Adoration is undoubtedly the most sublime devotion. But the rosary is our constant, daily companion. We can have recourse to it in every situation, at any time of day.

Perhaps the term "most constant" would be more appropriate. With such wording, "the rosary" would be my answer. Especially in light of Our Lady's request at Fatima to pray it daily.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Del

Post by Del » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:38 pm

I invite the respondants (if any!) to decide which one to click.

The Rosary is also my "most constant" devotion.
Eucharistic Adoration is my "favorite." I would click this, if I were responding to my own poll.

I love all of these, but of course there are many more.

I could have added Lectio Divina, for example. (Although a lot of Catholics practice "prayerful Scripture reading" without even knowing its Latin name.)

I'm just having fun with this poll...

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:39 pm

For regular morning devotions - along with scripture - I've read through "My Utmost For His Highest" and "Streams in the Desert." With the kids we've read through all of Susan Hunt's materials for kids a number of times (along with scripture). The "Big Truths for Little Kids" is our favorite. For prayer we've made cards with names of people or special requests and put them in a small treasure box. We pass the box around and each person draws a card and that person prays for whomever is on the card.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Del

Post by Del » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:04 pm

John-Boy wrote:For regular morning devotions - along with scripture - I've read through "My Utmost For His Highest" and "Streams in the Desert." With the kids we've read through all of Susan Hunt's materials for kids a number of times (along with scripture). The "Big Truths for Little Kids" is our favorite. For prayer we've made cards with names of people or special requests and put them in a small treasure box. We pass the box around and each person draws a card and that person prays for whomever is on the card.
I'll bet there's a LOT of JOY in your house! :D

USA_traveller
Usher
Usher

Post by USA_traveller » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:39 pm

I'm on the road five days out of nearly every week. For over six years now (since I began this new position), I call my wife every morning. We read the Srciptures for the day, usually reading the devotional thought from "the Word Among Us". We then pray together for a brief time before we head in our separate directions to begin our busy days. Though we are often hundreds if not thousands of miles aprt, this simple practice keeps our family together.

Rooster
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rooster » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:54 pm

I've got the Christian Prayer book but, even though I've had someone go over it with me, I'm still ignorant as to how to use it. Some day, maybe. And if someone does the liturgy of the hours maybe you have a simple trick for me.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:08 am

Rooster wrote:I've got the Christian Prayer book but, even though I've had someone go over it with me, I'm still ignorant as to how to use it. Some day, maybe. And if someone does the liturgy of the hours maybe you have a simple trick for me.
It's best to learn it from someone who knows. Ask your priest! If he's busy, he probably knows someone who would enjoy teaching you.

I have not found a decent web site.

And drop by a Catholic bookstore (or find online) to get the ST. JOSEPH GUIDE FOR CHRISTIAN PRAYER. It's a little guide that helps with the calendar and page-turning. It costs about $2.

The Hours is a wonderful devotion. It takes some discipline (which I don't have, either)... but evening prayer only takes about 10 minutes to pray. I can't do a rosary that fast.

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Re: Favorite Catholic Devotions

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 pm

I voted.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 am

Institutes of the Christian Religion
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:03 am

coco wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 am
Institutes of the Christian Religion
Lololol.

You crack me up. Bunch of rebellious teenagers.

Can I play the "cultural appropriation" card?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am

I do miss The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary as well as Adoration in the wee hours.
I'm still on board with the Rosary as well as morning and evening prayers.
I have The Imitation of Christ and should really get back to reading from it.
Tackling The Summa Theologica and City of God at the same time is hard enough on my ol' eyes but I keep reading.
I had a nice crucifix but it wore out and came apart---a harbinger? I've yet to find a replacement,
One of my favorite devotions is simply making the sign of the cross when a siren passes by---when I took my daughter to Manhatten, NYC two summers ago I may have developed tennis elbow :oops:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Del

Post by Del » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:20 am

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am
I do miss The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary as well as Adoration in the wee hours.
I'm still on board with the Rosary as well as morning and evening prayers.
I have The Imitation of Christ and should really get back to reading from it.
Tackling The Summa Theologica and City of God at the same time is hard enough on my ol' eyes but I keep reading.
I had a nice crucifix but it wore out and came apart---a harbinger? I've yet to find a replacement,
One of my favorite devotions is simply making the sign of the cross when a siren passes by---when I took my daughter to Manhatten, NYC two summers ago I may have developed tennis elbow :oops:
I should have added "Spiritual Reading" to the original poll.

The good news (since the original poll, then years ago) is that there are now apps available for all of these devotions.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon