Where's the "Like Button"

Are you new to forums? Come on in.
Haroldt
Congregation
Congregation

Where's the "Like Button"

Post by Haroldt » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:24 am

Is it possible to add a "Like button" to the forum so we can all respond to some post with a simple "like" click?
Mr T

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: Where's the "Like Button"

Post by Del » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:28 am

Haroldt wrote:Is it possible to add a "Like button" to the forum so we can all respond to some post with a simple "like" click?
+1

I like liking stuff.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:55 am

Haroldt wrote:Is it possible to add a "Like button" to the forum so we can all respond to some post with a simple "like" click?
There isn't one and I'd rather there wasn't one. We reply with "+1" when we agree to other folk's posts expressing opinions here. It's functionally identical to the "like button" for all of us. But there is a difference. The software here doesn't aggregate and collect that preference vs. personal profiles and sell that to anybody. Do you want the forum collecting your information, processing it to assoc. with your profile and selling to a variety of interests??

What is it about like-buttons that you like?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Haroldt
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Haroldt » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Rusty - what I like about the Like button is it fast and easy - one click. If I'm going to type +1 in the text box and submit it, I may as well time time to type a coherent thought while I'm there. The like button lets me lets me (us) click and move on.

I doubt this forum is selling my information because I clicked the like button to your post concerning "enjoying a the afternoon sitting on your porch relaxing with a bowl of Larry's Blend." What's there to sell there - nothing. I just replied to your post with approval.

So it's just simplicity.
Mr T

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Haroldt wrote:Rusty - what I like about the Like button is it fast and easy - one click. If I'm going to type +1 in the text box and submit it, I may as well time time to type a coherent thought while I'm there. The like button lets me lets me (us) click and move on.
Sounds like a good reason for not having a like button. I'm interested in your coherent thoughts. I'm not interested in counting how many "likes" anyone gets.

Besides, I wouldn't get any likes, which could be kind of awkward.
Last edited by Onyx on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Haroldt wrote:Rusty - what I like about the Like button is it fast and easy - one click. If I'm going to type +1 in the text box and submit it, I may as well time time to type a coherent thought while I'm there. The like button lets me lets me (us) click and move on.

I doubt this forum is selling my information because I clicked the like button to your post concerning "enjoying a the afternoon sitting on your porch relaxing with a bowl of Larry's Blend." What's there to sell there - nothing. I just replied to your post with approval.

So it's just simplicity.
So let me get this straight.... You're currently seeing a "like button" next to our posts on CPS? And specifically you saw one next a post of mine where I talked about enjoying Larry's blend on my porch. All this despite the absence of like buttons on CPS (else what is your feature request for?) and the unfortunate fact that I've never enjoyed Larry's blend in my life, rarely smoke on my porch, and didn't write any such post. I like your imaginative approach to reality. I'm not a member of any social media.

This is a discussion forum and they pre-date social media for the most part. We discuss issues and experiences. We don't expect to find like-buttons, just thread locks. Please reserve using the like-button attached to your soul for your wife's cooking, nice weather, and staying regular. On most of your pipes you may also find a sliding button which activates a touch sensitive pop-up LCD screen above the shank. You can like or dislike your smokes. Reality, what a concept.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Onyx wrote:
Sounds like a good reason for not having a like button. I'm interested in your coherent thoughts. I'm not interested in counting how many "likes" anyone gets.

+1

Ooooh rah. Though the coherence varies a lot.
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:17 pm

Rusty wrote:
Onyx wrote:

+1

Ooooh rah.
Like.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Post "+1" boosts your post count. :whistling:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Haroldt
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Haroldt » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Let me get this right. Here on a Christian forum for pipe smokers, I ask a simple question and get berated?

A simple, polite:
"No this is not a feature we plan to include to the site." OR
"It's been brought up and discussed in the past, but consensuses has been no." OR maybe even
"It's never been brought up, maybe well put it out to vote and see what our other Christian member think of it.

But to berate and belittle me for asking... I can find that type of response on secular site. Never expected it here.

And no, Rusty, you and I both know there is no like button on this site and the very reason I posted my harmless question. I was simply painting a picture of how it would work and why I would use it.
Mr T

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:20 pm

Haroldt wrote:Let me get this right. Here on a Christian forum for pipe smokers, I ask a simple question and get berated?

A simple, polite:
"It's been brought up and discussed in the past, but consensuses has been no." OR maybe even
"It's never been brought up, maybe well put it out to vote and see what our other Christian member think of it.

But to berate and belittle me for asking... I can find that type of response on secular site. Never expected it here.

And no, Rusty, you and I both know there is no like button on this site and the very reason I posted my harmless question. I was simply painting a picture of how it would work and why I would use it.
Mercy, don't have a cow, man! A bowl of your favorite blend should help you find your way back to your happy spot. This was nothing compared to Purgatory or the Theology forums.
Gird your loins and welcome to the jungle :pipe2:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Haroldt wrote:Let me get this right. Here on a Christian forum for pipe smokers, I ask a simple question and get berated?

A simple, polite:

Ah that was a vision of a future like-transaction on CPS that you explained. Ok, sorry, I misunderstood. Feature development is up to Pepik and Munkey. Unless they're responding it's just discussion and you shouldn't take it as anything personal nor as any response concerning development. I can't remember ever discussing a like-button feature here on the forum. We're not belittling you. We don't like what it does with so very little effort on the part of somebody responding. It's probably just me. Actually it's not just me, clearly it's Onyx too. We have really enjoyed the discussions and anything that encourages easy button pushes vs posting some thoughts is a step the wrong way. Now maybe we're wrong. But no,I'd prefer not looking like social media.
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del

Post by Del » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:31 pm

A simple, polite:

Rusty belates and belittles. It's his hobby. Don't worry about it, and enjoy his wisdom on the history of pipe tobacco blends.

Meanwhile.... I don't need a LIKE button. If I like something, I'll add a comment about why I like it.

A simple, anonymous "DISLIKE" button would be a nice feature. But probably not in our best interest.

(I'm smoking some Stokkebye LUX Bulleye Flake and drinking an excess of red wine. Who is happier than me?)

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:52 pm

A simple, polite:

Like.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:01 pm

I bet, if we asked nicely, Pepik would add an emoticon that looks like a like button. It would need to be smaller, but something like this:

Could be a compromise.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:06 pm

:pho:

Del

Post by Del » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:51 pm

UncleBob wrote:I bet, if we asked nicely, Pepik would add an emoticon that looks like a like button. It would need to be smaller, but something like this:

Could be a compromise.
Sit on it.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Oddly enough, this is the third time we've covered it. The option to add it doesn't exist for this version of board software version. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36966&start=15

Don't mind Rusty: He's Canadian and can't help it.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Haroldt
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Haroldt » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Del - I can think of better hobbies. And as for the red wine... Merlot or Shiraz?

Uncle Bob - THERE'S some thinking!!

Pepik - Well that explains why it's not on here. See, a nice, polite response. Certain Canadians could learn from you!
Mr T

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:46 pm

Haroldt wrote:Del - I can think of better hobbies. And as for the red wine... Merlot or Shiraz?

Uncle Bob - THERE'S some thinking!!

Pepik - Well that explains why it's not on here. See, a nice, polite response. Certain Canadians could learn from you!
Haroldt, if you haven't noticed by now, CPS is a weird place. Please don't take anything personal here, as 99.9% of the time no one here really belittles or tries to be rude in a sincere manner (Except sometimes in the theology threads)

Rusty is cyclical, he has his ups and downs like the rest of us, but overall he's alright, for a Canuck anyway.

Post often and enjoy your time spent here.
Last edited by Jocose on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS