Are you new to forums? Come on in.
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Where's the "Like Button"

Post by Jocose » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:Hey Harold, best you figure us out and get to know us better before you start being upset with how we react and respond. That will help you stick around longer and not get burnt out on the attitudes we all have.
We? Who's We? Do you have a mouse in yer pocket?
Right?!
Wrong
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Onyx wrote:I was listening to Mark Zuckerberg on this issue. Having a 'Like' button in facebook helps to shape the entire character of that online community. It not only influences how people respond, but also what people post. When you post something, it is a reinforcement that one or more people 'Like' your post. (You might imagine you're not affected by this, and perhaps you're not. I would suggest that we're all affected by this sort of reinforcement more than we realize.) The existence of the 'Like' feature incentivizes people to post things that will be 'Liked'. If you ever wonder why your facebook feed is full of inane, shallow 'Like' bait, it's because that's what the forum rewards.

A second unintentional thing that the 'Like' feature does is to divide people into factions, or at least hyper-stimulates our factional tribalism (which in my view is one of humanity's less attractive features). I've got one bunch of facebook friends who post all their right-wing, gun-toting, obama-hatin', Bullpucky which is full of exaggerations and fear-mongering... and they all 'Like' each other's crap as though it actually added any insight on any nuanced issue. And then I've got another mob of facebook friends who post their tree-huggin', white-person-loathing, religion-hatin', commie fantasies about funding every government programme out of thin-air, and they all 'Like' each other's stupid memes as though they were smugly smarter than all the conservatives. I never 'Like' a single one of them. Partly because I'm grumpy, and also partly because I'm usually trying to see more than one side of an issue.

CPS is a discussion and fellowship forum. I love reading posts from people who challenge me to see things differently. If I read something Tuttle writes, I might not agree (or 'Like' his conclusions) but I really appreciate how it slows down my reaction time, and makes me question angles that I hadn't considered. I hope that occasionally something I write gives pause for thought. Lot's of you other guys do this - you post thoughtful things for which 'Like' or 'Not Like' are inadequate responses. That's the stuff that gets rewarded on CPS. At least that's how I feel - that when someone engages with something I've said by challenging it, laughing at it, arguing with it... that's the enjoyment of discussion. I don't want to know you 'Like' it, I want to know what you really think and why.

So on balance... hell no! I don't won't a 'Like' button.

:pho:
Like. :taco:
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Haroldt
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Haroldt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Pepik wrote:
JimVH wrote:What we really need is a 'stop being a d--k' button.
We have that. It's called the "Warning" Button that Mods and Admins have.
Jim - that's some good thinking and funny.

Pepik - Good reply!
Mr T

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:13 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Onyx wrote:I was listening to Mark Zuckerberg on this issue. Having a 'Like' button in facebook helps to shape the entire character of that online community. It not only influences how people respond, but also what people post. When you post something, it is a reinforcement that one or more people 'Like' your post. (You might imagine you're not affected by this, and perhaps you're not. I would suggest that we're all affected by this sort of reinforcement more than we realize.) The existence of the 'Like' feature incentivizes people to post things that will be 'Liked'. If you ever wonder why your facebook feed is full of inane, shallow 'Like' bait, it's because that's what the forum rewards.

A second unintentional thing that the 'Like' feature does is to divide people into factions, or at least hyper-stimulates our factional tribalism (which in my view is one of humanity's less attractive features). I've got one bunch of facebook friends who post all their right-wing, gun-toting, obama-hatin', Bullpucky which is full of exaggerations and fear-mongering... and they all 'Like' each other's crap as though it actually added any insight on any nuanced issue. And then I've got another mob of facebook friends who post their tree-huggin', white-person-loathing, religion-hatin', commie fantasies about funding every government programme out of thin-air, and they all 'Like' each other's stupid memes as though they were smugly smarter than all the conservatives. I never 'Like' a single one of them. Partly because I'm grumpy, and also partly because I'm usually trying to see more than one side of an issue.

CPS is a discussion and fellowship forum. I love reading posts from people who challenge me to see things differently. If I read something Tuttle writes, I might not agree (or 'Like' his conclusions) but I really appreciate how it slows down my reaction time, and makes me question angles that I hadn't considered. I hope that occasionally something I write gives pause for thought. Lot's of you other guys do this - you post thoughtful things for which 'Like' or 'Not Like' are inadequate responses. That's the stuff that gets rewarded on CPS. At least that's how I feel - that when someone engages with something I've said by challenging it, laughing at it, arguing with it... that's the enjoyment of discussion. I don't want to know you 'Like' it, I want to know what you really think and why.

So on balance... hell no! I don't won't a 'Like' button.

:pho:
Like. :taco:
+ Like

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:34 pm

Actually, if you use tapatalk there is a like button. Image

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:10 am

... Which only appears in Tapatalk, is viewable only to you for the posts you liked, and isn't stored on database that serves this forum. I think if you delete your Tapatalk account that info disappears.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Pepik wrote:... Which only appears in Tapatalk, is viewable only to you for the posts you liked, and isn't stored on database that serves this forum. I think if you delete your Tapatalk account that info disappears.
Thanks Captain Buzzkill
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Jocose wrote:
Pepik wrote:... Which only appears in Tapatalk, is viewable only to you for the posts you liked, and isn't stored on database that serves this forum. I think if you delete your Tapatalk account that info disappears.
Thanks Captain Buzzkill
The term Captain Buzzkill is actually vernacular, and was never a real "super hero", per se.
Rgrds,
Joe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:10 pm

Pepik wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Thanks Captain Buzzkill
The term Captain Buzzkill is actually vernacular, and was never a real "super hero", per se.
[BBvideo 560,340]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8kMmUxkSE[/BBvideo]

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Jocose wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Thanks Captain Buzzkill
[BBvideo 560,340]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8kMmUxkSE[/BBvideo]
Rgrds,
Joe

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:22 pm

Every party needs a pooper that's why we invited you
Party Poooooper
Party Poooooper
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:40 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:Every party needs a pooper that's why we invited you
Party Poooooper
Party Poooooper
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:30 pm

Hey, i just said there's a like button there, nothing else .... Image

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Snappo
Usher
Usher

Post by Snappo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Haroldt wrote:Is it possible to add a "Like button" to the forum so we can all respond to some post with a simple "like" click?
Huh? "Like" Button? What's to like???
Feck em if they can't take a joke... :!:

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:52 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Hey, i just said there's a like button there, nothing else .... Image

I suffer from terminal dry humour. Consider that it this context. ;)
Rgrds,
Joe

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Snappo wrote:
Haroldt wrote:Is it possible to add a "Like button" to the forum so we can all respond to some post with a simple "like" click?
Huh? "Like" Button? What's to like???
It just gets into you. Like Stockholm Syndrome.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank