Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:35 pm

It is smooth at least, minus all the scabs

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:08 pm

ReverendThom wrote:It is smooth at least, minus all the scabs

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Well, there's that, I guess. LOL
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:22 am

I'm against it.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:23 pm

j1n wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:Grow a beard. Problem solved.
+1
throw out yer blades and let nature reclaim civilization

Indeed.
What is this "sha -ving" of which you speak?
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:40 pm

That's like water-boarding with a razor! My guess is that you had the razor too flat. Adjust that angle and go slow and easy! 1/4 inch will tell you if you need to adjust the angle. You'll soon feel that angle pretty naturally as you shave. Boy, I'm really sorry you experienced this. Must have burned for days!

If people ask you about the scabs, you can tell them it's a tattoo that says PAIN ! :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Al_S_
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Al_S_ » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:59 pm

What were you using for lather? which razor & blade? Did you shave WTG first, then ATG? Make sure you are using very little pressure.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:17 pm

Pepik wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:58 pm
Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:Been using those Gilette five bladed costly things and recently switched to a much more economical 6 bladed Dorco product out of South Korea. FAR better shave (with and against the grain - I shave both ways) and I'm achieving a much closer shave that lasts longer through the day. Still using the same blade head from Mid-December when I got it, and hasn't needed a change out nor have I had to "whet" the blades back into alignment.

I like the price point on the cartridges too.
Mid December? And still sharp?

Call me skeptical. How often do you shave?

Enough questions for you?
Yes. Yes - enough not to irritate and achieve a good shave IMO.
OK - You're Skeptical; you might want to change your official IDs now. Daily, Morning, as part of my ritual Triple-S. Would you like photos?

If you form them in iambic pentameter, I could do this all day; so a definite "maybe".
Just changed to the next full 4 pack of refills a week ago. Took me a long time to get through those first five cartridges.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Re: RE: Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:48 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:33 pm
UncleBob wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Tatanka wrote:
JimVH wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:Dang you all! I was shaving and this thread came to mind, and I thought "CPS does it, so can I! I'll go with then against. What's the worst that can happen?"

I thought this was a fraternity?! A loyal, trustworthy, brotherhood. To you that say shave against the grain, gentleman, I say, screw you.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
That draws a significant vacuum.
GENTLY, man! GENTLY! SLOW!!! My neck is burning just looking at this photo!
I was gentle. I wasn't using a belt sander! You betrayed be Tatanka!!!Image

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
Next time use a razor.
Dude bleeds easily.

May I ask what type of shaving cream/soap you used? There has to be enough slickness for your razor not to just grind against your skin. Also, I hope you reapplied before going against the grain.

Personally, I go with grain, across the grain, and then against the grain. 3 passes total, does the trick.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 am

#BeardsMatter
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Pepik wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:17 pm
Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:Been using those Gilette five bladed costly things and recently switched to a much more economical 6 bladed Dorco product out of South Korea. FAR better shave (with and against the grain - I shave both ways) and I'm achieving a much closer shave that lasts longer through the day. Still using the same blade head from Mid-December when I got it, and hasn't needed a change out nor have I had to "whet" the blades back into alignment.

OK - You're Skeptical; you might want to change your official IDs now. Daily, Morning, as part of my ritual Triple-S. Would you like photos?

If you form them in iambic pentameter, I could do this all day; so a definite "maybe".
Just changed to the next full 4 pack of refills a week ago. Took me a long time to get through those first five cartridges.

I have been disappointed with my Derby double blade shave. I'd have a spot on my neck that, try as many times and different angles, I could never get a smooth feel. I would have to go to my Gilette 5 blade to finally get a smooth feel.

Reading the reviews on the Dorco blades, and your comments Pipik, convinced me to try the Dorco, so I've placed my order on Amazon. I hope I experience the positives you have expressed. And, this will save several minutes of having to remove the blade "carefully handling it" and drying out the razor, placing it back in it's holder, etc. No biggie, but it took extra time to rinse and dry, and then disposing of the blade, or wiping it dry, carefully, trying not to touch the blade edge.

Thanks for sharing your experience and impression of the Dorkie "Dorco" razor blades! :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:33 pm
Pepik wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:

I have been disappointed with my Derby double blade shave. I'd have a spot on my neck that, try as many times and different angles, I could never get a smooth feel. I would have to go to my Gilette 5 blade to finally get a smooth feel.

Reading the reviews on the Dorco blades, and your comments Pipik, convinced me to try the Dorco, so I've placed my order on Amazon. I hope I experience the positives you have expressed. And, this will save several minutes of having to remove the blade "carefully handling it" and drying out the razor, placing it back in it's holder, etc. No biggie, but it took extra time to rinse and dry, and then disposing of the blade, or wiping it dry, carefully, trying not to touch the blade edge.

Thanks for sharing your experience and impression of the Dorkie "Dorco" razor blades! :)
I've been pleasantly surprised by 'em. On top of which, I'm buying another 'intro pack' for traveling to get rid of that "other guy's" razor. For $20, it's too good of a deal to pass up: https://www.amazon.com/Dorco-Plus-Blade ... orco&psc=1
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Pepik wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:46 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:33 pm
Pepik wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:

I've been pleasantly surprised by 'em. On top of which, I'm buying another 'intro pack' for traveling to get rid of that "other guy's" razor. For $20, it's too good of a deal to pass up: https://www.amazon.com/Dorco-Plus-Blade ... orco&psc=1

The 10 pack is what I purchased. But I still love the brush and soap lather prep/use, to the spray can variety I used for years. I've not heard any discussion about the small dab squeezed from a tube, as compared to the round soap bar, with brush. I'm eager to receive the Dorco pack.
Soli Deo Gloria!

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:48 am

I use a Gillette Mach III razor and recently found this shave gel, w/ Aloe Vera at Family Dollar. I experience the closest and easiest shave I have ever had with this wonderful gel, which is only $2 a can. Even shaving cross and against the grain of my quite tough beard. Far, far better than Edge. Highly recommended.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Please see post above. Just wanting to give that Family Dollar shave gel some air time, as it may be just the thing for some who long for an easy, smooth, close shave
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

timlove
Congregation
Congregation

Post by timlove » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Before I switched to double edge and straight razors I only could shave with the grain. When I used newer multi blade razors I would always get razor burn and ingrown hairs.
Once I switched to double edge and straight razors I now shave with the grain, then against the grain. I no longer get razor burn or ingrown hairs.
If I have time and want a super close shave (that for me will last a few days), I shave with the grain, across the grain, then finally against the grain.
So far my best shaves are when I use a straight razor.
Of course, everyones beard and skin is different, but this is what worked for me.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 pm

I'm still disappointed over every double edge blades I've purchased. As for this gel; I have not tried but am curious to try a type of shaving soap that is in a tube, - not a gel - but a dab the size of a dime or nickel, whipped up with a shaving brush, makes - what surely looks like a thick, creamy, wonderful cream. My soap bar's give me a challenge to get it thick enough.
Soli Deo Gloria!

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 pm
I'm still disappointed over every double edge blades I've purchased. As for this gel; I have not tried but am curious to try a type of shaving soap that is in a tube, - not a gel - but a dab the size of a dime or nickel, whipped up with a shaving brush, makes - what surely looks like a thick, creamy, wonderful cream. My soap bar's give me a challenge to get it thick enough.
Proraso.
Amazon will send it right to your door for you to try.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Mon May 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Have you tried feather blades?
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Tue May 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 9:01 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Have you tried feather blades?
I have Feather and my first was Personna, then Derby Extra (which holds 'best' at present, but not totally satisfied); Dorco Pace, which had my hopes up, but let me down.

I have one spot on my right side of my throat that none of the above can leave it with no felt evidence felt; after 4 and 5 and even more passes and attempts. But my Shick - I think it's 4 blades, gets it each time. So all this talk about a double edge razor blade cutting greater than all the 4 and 5 and they keep adding more blades, but are SO $^#(* expensive! Rediculous! The price is what prompted me to return to home-whipped lather and double edge blade - the old fashioned way; except I'm not inclined to go to the single "barber fashion" blade, and all the involvement with a straight edge.

Just not "settled" on this "shaving THANG!" :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Tue May 23, 2017 1:08 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Proraso.
Amazon will send it right to your door for you to try.
I just ordered more Ogolala Bay Rum after shave from Amazon. Should have checked here first. I'll check it out. Thanks for suggestions.
Soli Deo Gloria!