The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Post Reply
User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14669
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Cleon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.
It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Did you notice that the bowl is hexagonal? I love faceted pipes.

It looks like a Dunhill Shell special to me, but the price is too low for that to be the case.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.
It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Did you notice that the bowl is hexagonal? I love faceted pipes.

It looks like a Dunhill Shell special to me, but the price is too low for that to be the case.
It looks Italian, I think. Cristiano used to sell that shape and in hexagonal bowl too. I have a Canadian Cristiano in a brown that is very close to that.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16596
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:55 pm
Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.
It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Did you notice that the bowl is hexagonal? I love faceted pipes.

It looks like a Dunhill Shell special to me, but the price is too low for that to be the case.
It looks Italian, I think. Cristiano used to sell that shape and in hexagonal bowl too. I have a Canadian Cristiano in a brown that is very close to that.

All I know is this is a scary thread. I like that pipe.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4772
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.

It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Musico
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5916
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.

It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Musico
Ah. Just found it at at Smokingpipes.
Gorgeous.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14669
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Cleon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am

Image
This is a Peterson. A little on the clunky side, but still appealing to me. I need to stop looking at pipes.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5916
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 am

Cleon wrote:A little on the clunky side . . .
Don't most Pete's tend to be a little clunky? Part of their charm, I think.
Cleon wrote: I need to stop looking at pipes.
Give in to the Dark Side. The Force is strong in you.
Last edited by durangopipe on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4772
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.

It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Musico
Ah. Just found it at at Smokingpipes.
Gorgeous.
And it's gone. So sad... another one bites the dust.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16596
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am
Image
This is a Peterson. A little on the clunky side, but still appealing to me. I need to stop looking at pipes.
That pipe is not clunky. It's adorable. One finger on the stem, one under the bowl, and one on the front of the bowl. Delightful.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14669
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Cleon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:25 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 pm
Cleon wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am
Image
This is a Peterson. A little on the clunky side, but still appealing to me. I need to stop looking at pipes.
That pipe is not clunky. It's adorable. One finger on the stem, one under the bowl, and one on the front of the bowl. Delightful.
It works on this particular pipe. I can't pinpoint it. It just does.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5916
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 03, 2017 9:52 pm

If there were to be another pipe at this time, it would be another Tinsky. The more I smoke them, the better I like them.
Make that love them.

And if there were to be one more it would be this one:

Image
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17387
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed May 03, 2017 10:06 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 pm
Cleon wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am
Image
This is a Peterson. A little on the clunky side, but still appealing to me. I need to stop looking at pipes.
That pipe is not clunky. It's adorable. One finger on the stem, one under the bowl, and one on the front of the bowl. Delightful.
Projecting on the pipe, eh?

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14669
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Cleon » Tue May 09, 2017 6:50 am

Image
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14669
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Cleon » Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am

Image
For A_Morley
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19291
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by wosbald » Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am

+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am
Image
For A_Morley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14669
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Cleon » Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 am

wosbald wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am
+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am
Image
For A_Morley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g
I've got pencil shanks stuck in my head.

Have you (or anyone that reads this) ever seen a small pencil shanked bulldog - diamond shank and all? If you have, please post. I'm not sure if that would be a pleasing design or not. I'm just curious.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19291
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by wosbald » Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 am

+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am
Image
For A_Morley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g
I've got pencil shanks stuck in my head.

Have you (or anyone that reads this) ever seen a small pencil shanked bulldog - diamond shank and all? If you have, please post. I'm not sure if that would be a pleasing design or not. I'm just curious.
I've not seen one, AFAIR.

I imagine that such would be logistically difficult, the squaring of a shank already increasing the perceived diameter of a shank without adding much in the way of durability. It seems to me that any squared shank that would look like a pencil-shank would, in practicality, have to be a spaghetti-shank which is hiding underneath the four triangular superadditions.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14669
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by Cleon » Wed May 10, 2017 9:26 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 am
+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am
Image
For A_Morley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g
I've got pencil shanks stuck in my head.

Have you (or anyone that reads this) ever seen a small pencil shanked bulldog - diamond shank and all? If you have, please post. I'm not sure if that would be a pleasing design or not. I'm just curious.
I've not seen one, AFAIR.

I imagine that such would be logistically difficult, the squaring of a shank already increasing the perceived diameter of a shank without adding much in the way of durability. It seems to me that any squared shank that would look like a pencil-shank would, in practicality, have to be a spaghetti-shank which is hiding underneath the four triangular superadditions.
I think you're right. The wall thickness of the shank facet that is closest to the tangent point of the draft hole would have to be super thin to pull off the look. But, you know what, I bet somebody could do it. Practicality be damned. I'm sure they'd ruin a bunch of blocks in the process. :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21953
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by JimVH » Wed May 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Image

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35371
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Image

Image

On a side note:
Image

Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Post Reply