Moderator: tuttle

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Re: Vatican rules no gluten free bread in Eucharist

Post by infidel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:33 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:18 pm
There are dozens of reasons that more and more bodies are reacting to more and more substances. Bad air in sick buildings (like schools), way different food supply (half of what I eat wouldn't even be recognized as "food" by my grandparents), infertility drugs certainly influence our babies while they're still in the womb, all sorts of new chemicals and pesticides and preservatives that make food cheaper, sedentary lifestyles, watching blue screens when we should be sleeping, lack of childhood activities out of doors where sunlight heals and dirt naturally immunizes, meat from animals that are feed exclusively grass seeds. We also have tests which reveal *peanut allergies and gluten insensitivity that used to be considered simply a queasy stomach. Then we medicate for that and introduce a whole 'nother set of chemicals to purposely alter our chemical balance. Add it all up and we're so far out of whack from humans of 200 years ago that we're almost a different species. Our science has evolved much faster than our genetics.

*Understand that I am not saying peanut allergies and celiac are minor health issues. Mrs FredS has removed gluten from her diet and is healthier and lighter than she'd been in 35 years. But she doesn't die if she accidentally consumes gluten. In her case it results in IBS and discomfort, not a trip to the ER.
Yeah, it's pretty complex to pin on any specific thing. There's a genetic predisposition to Celiac and there is some evidence that it might be "turned on" by a relatively common but otherwise unharmful viral infection. Or it could be multiple different factors. Many people live for decades with no signs of it and then "suddenly" have it.

How many of our ancestors died of dysentery? Any number of those could have been celiac.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:37 pm

King's Hawaiian is the Holiest of communion breads.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:39 pm

jruegg wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:37 pm
This is why we can't have nice things.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Years ago, Thoth confessed that he sorted through various Coptic parishes to choose the one which baked the best altar bread.

Recall that they prepare a large excess, bless the lot, then choose a perfect loaf to consecrate at the Liturgy. The rest is shared during the meal after.

I stumbled upon the Coptic bunch in Madison during the fellowship meal, and Father offered me a bit of blessed bread. Very good -- I still remember it.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 pm

I wish we could use those bread sticks from Olive Garden and dip them in olive oil with garlic and sea salt.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 pm
I wish we could use those bread sticks from Olive Garden and dip them in olive oil with garlic and sea salt.
1 Cor 11:30

"For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep"

Ain't no joke friend.

EDIT to add vs. 29

"29 For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body eats and drinks judgment on himself"
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:25 pm

jruegg wrote:
:lol:
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 am

infidel wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:40 am
Del wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:25 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:42 am
Does anyone here think all the GMO food, along with pesticide\herbicide overuse might be contributing to all these food allergies?
The allergy-prone talk about why there is such an increase in allergies:
https://allergicliving.com/2010/11/20/a ... -many-now/

The basic premise: Children raise in very clean, sheltered environments develop hyper-sensitive immune systems. The more environmental contaminants a young child is exposed to, the better his immune system is able to discern real threats from false threats.

Small families also result in more allergies.

This developed from a case study of East German and West German kids. Same gene pool, so the differences were due to the cleaner environment.
A pattern emerged: the most allergic were the Munich kids with one or no siblings; the least allergic were the East Germans with two or more brothers and sisters. Children in the larger families were being exposed to more germs. It fit with this rudimentary hygiene hypothesis. “It took off from there,” says von Mutius.

Where the hygiene theory took off to was a place caught in a time warp: the traditional European farm, where father, mother and children still do all the manual labor, from milking to sweeping out the stables. The idea to look at the family-run farm actually came from a school doctor in a Swiss village. He noticed that farm children under his care, unlike other kids, never seemed to get hay fever.
That is the total opposite of what I would have thought.

Anyone else?
There's another line of thinking that supposes we've largely lost any of the regional genetic diversity in agricultural crops. Nearly all of the wheat grown around the world is of the same hybrid variety developed a few decades ago. High-yielding and durable, and high in gluten. And then consider how much of the processed food we eat is built on this wheat, bleached and refined into nutritionless powder.
Yeah, I can see this. It's not necessarily gluten itself, it's the kind of gluten we're eating now.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:41 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 pm
FredS wrote:

Ain't no joke friend.

EDIT to add vs. 29

"29 For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body eats and drinks judgment on himself"
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:41 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:41 am
Jocose wrote:
FredS wrote:

Ain't no joke friend.

EDIT to add vs. 29

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.
He is also available for birthdays and bar mitzvahs.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 am

Jocose wrote:
FredS wrote:

1 Corinthians 11:27-32
[27] Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. [28] Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. [29] For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. [30] That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. [31] But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. [32] But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. (ESV)
This is the biggest reason why I can't get on board with transubstantiation and the Real PresenceTM in the Catholic/Orthodox sense. The logic of it says those who consume it should live forever. Even Paul seems to have thought so here, for if people are still sickly and dying in spite of consuming the host then it must be their judgment for consuming unworthily, not because the promised eternal life is more symbolic/spiritual.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:51 am

infidel wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 am
Jocose wrote:
FredS wrote:

[27] Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. [28] Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. [29] For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. [30] That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. [31] But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. [32] But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. (ESV)
This is the biggest reason why I can't get on board with transubstantiation and the Real PresenceTM in the Catholic/Orthodox sense. The logic of it says those who consume it should live forever. Even Paul seems to have thought so here, for if people are still sickly and dying in spite of consuming the host then it must be their judgment for consuming unworthily, not because the promised eternal life is more symbolic/spiritual.
In the early decades of the Church, there was still some confusion as the meaning of physical death and eternal life. Thessalonians were especially concerned that Christians who "died" might be going someplace else and miss out on Christ's return.

The reality of Christ's body in the Eucharist has been confirmed by numerous miracles throughout the Christian era. So we understand Paul's words in Scripture in this light.

All Christians believe in life-after-death "in heaven," and eternal life after the Resurrection of the Dead.

Paul's suggestion that sickness & death are the result of sin and judgment, caused by receiving Christ unworthily, is evidence that he believed in the Real Presence, as he says.

We are tempted to twist Paul's faith -- we are tempted to assert that, since sickness and death are natural phenomena that happen to everyone, so the whole revelation of Christ is bogus.

Let's remember too that St. Paul was a Pentecostal. He expected Christians to be comfortable with tongues, healing, miracles, and so on. Some sin or lack of faith was preventing the healing miracles that they were praying for. Paul says ("in the Bible") that this is due to their receiving Christ while in an unworthy state.

The Corinthians were a weird bunch -- ardent Pentecostals, praising God and seeing miracles of faith... so much so, they were disrupting their own worship. Enjoying the gifts, instead of the Giver. Meanwhile others were dallying with idols and sexual perversions. And others were abusing the potluck fellowship, and making that to be more important than the worship. They drove Paul nuts.... and St. Clement, after him. [Pope Clement (#3, after Peter) wrote a letter to the Corinthians after they rejected the bishop who had been sent to guide them, in favor of a local pastor who was more charismatic.]

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:24 am

Thoth wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:59 am
coco wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:42 pm
I know the discussion has kind of moved on, but I wasn't really following the thread and therefore didn't make any contributions. But now you get the benefit of my wisdom. My daughter is very sensitive to gluten and my wife is somewhat sensitive, so it's an issue I've had to deal with. So, for those of you who are wondering if a single communion wafer is a problem for people suffering from Celiac's disease:
The FDA...found that for the most sensitive people, intestinal damage begins at 0.4 milligrams of gluten per day (1/200th of a teaspoon of flour or 1/8,750th of that slice of bread), while symptoms begin at 0.015 milligrams of gluten per day (less than 1/500th of a teaspoon of flour or 1/233,333th of that slice of bread).
Taken from this article.
I read another article that said a few crumbs could set off a reaction in some people. Thus, I can see the wisdom in offering a gluten-free alternative to those with celiac disease.
Went through the 95 page FDA report and turns out this one single case. of the various studies that were aggregated in the FDA report.

Like I mentioned pastorally for these people they can recieve a crumb and from a sacramental stand point have been fully communed and it is minimal gluten exposure.

Epidemiologically people that are that hyper-sensitive to gluten are extremely rare.

@Durangopipes, you should probably avoid drinking wine with Egyptians. They like their wine sweet and Manshewitz is table wine for many families (whch drives my wife nuts since she prefers dry wines).
I'm glad to be wrong on this. :)

I hate pseudo-science regarding gluten or anything else, and it is becoming more and more difficult to separate fact from fiction.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:25 pm
jruegg wrote:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 am

Del wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:51 am
infidel wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 am
Jocose wrote:
FredS wrote:

In the early decades of the Church, there was still some confusion as the meaning of physical death and eternal life. Thessalonians were especially concerned that Christians who "died" might be going someplace else and miss out on Christ's return.

The reality of Christ's body in the Eucharist has been confirmed by numerous miracles throughout the Christian era. So we understand Paul's words in Scripture in this light.

All Christians believe in life-after-death "in heaven," and eternal life after the Resurrection of the Dead.

Paul's suggestion that sickness & death are the result of sin and judgment, caused by receiving Christ unworthily, is evidence that he believed in the Real Presence, as he says.

We are tempted to twist Paul's faith -- we are tempted to assert that, since sickness and death are natural phenomena that happen to everyone, so the whole revelation of Christ is bogus.

Let's remember too that St. Paul was a Pentecostal. He expected Christians to be comfortable with tongues, healing, miracles, and so on. Some sin or lack of faith was preventing the healing miracles that they were praying for. Paul says ("in the Bible") that this is due to their receiving Christ while in an unworthy state.

The Corinthians were a weird bunch -- ardent Pentecostals, praising God and seeing miracles of faith... so much so, they were disrupting their own worship. Enjoying the gifts, instead of the Giver. Meanwhile others were dallying with idols and sexual perversions. And others were abusing the potluck fellowship, and making that to be more important than the worship. They drove Paul nuts.... and St. Clement, after him. [Pope Clement (#3, after Peter) wrote a letter to the Corinthians after they rejected the bishop who had been sent to guide them, in favor of a local pastor who was more charismatic.]
Yes, yes, we've been through all this before. I'm not saying there's no "there" there, neither am I saying it's all bogus because of some misunderstanding, and I'm certainly not trying to twist anything.
Del wrote:The reality of Christ's body in the Eucharist has been confirmed by numerous miracles throughout the Christian era.
In some sense, perhaps, yet every saint has "fallen asleep" despite consuming the medicine of eternal life. So I'm left somewhere out here in the space between the purely symbolic and the purely literal.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:41 am

Del wrote:
Regardless of the topic, I'd argue that this is not the best light to understand Paul. For one, even if we grant the miracles were genuine, they were still Post-New Testament. The principle audience of his letter did not have any miraculous confirmation historical record. How were they to understand Paul without it? Again, regardless of topic, this is a bad way to interpret Scripture, and one that has been abused by numerous wolves claiming more or less the same kind of confirmation that jives with their own personal sect's understanding, which is usually not at all the original intent.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:16 pm

tuttle wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:41 am
Del wrote:
Regardless of the topic, I'd argue that this is not the best light to understand Paul. For one, even if we grant the miracles were genuine, they were still Post-New Testament. The principle audience of his letter did not have any miraculous confirmation historical record. How were they to understand Paul without it? Again, regardless of topic, this is a bad way to interpret Scripture, and one that has been abused by numerous wolves claiming more or less the same kind of confirmation that jives with their own personal sect's understanding, which is usually not at all the original intent.
Paul's original audience enjoyed many months of Paul's daily preaching. They had the context of Apostolic teaching.

But this leads into the broader argument of Apostolic v. Protestant faith.

The Apostolic Church insists that the Scripture was given to the Church, and that the Scripture can be understood fullness only when it is read within the teaching of the Apostles.

The Protestant argues that Scripture is complete in itself, and that anyone can read it and understand it and build a church upon Scripture Alone. No Sacred Tradition of the Apostles is needed. And yes.... many wolves have told their flocks to understand the Scripture in accord with their sects' peculiar perspectives.

The difference for Apostolic Christians is that Apostolic Tradition comes from the same source as the Sacred Scripture -- the Holy Spirit.
=======================
Back to the point of the thread:

The Scripture is plenty clear in its support for the Real Presence, and this is still the faith of an overwhelming majority of the world's Christians.

But Bible Christians have convinced themselves that Jesus was making a metaphor.

So the Bible Christians and non-believers are scandalized that we don't change things to accommodate persons with medical allergies.

But those who believe this is really Jesus Christ, alive and come to receive us, are careful to preserve what has been handed down to us. This is more important than allergies.

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:16 pm
tuttle wrote:
Del wrote:
Paul's original audience enjoyed many months of Paul's daily preaching. They had the context of Apostolic teaching.

The Apostolic Church insists that the Scripture was given to the Church, and that the Scripture can be understood fullness only when it is read within the teaching of the Apostles.

The Protestant argues that Scripture is complete in itself, and that anyone can read it and understand it and build a church upon Scripture Alone. No Sacred Tradition of the Apostles is needed. And yes.... many wolves have told their flocks to understand the Scripture in accord with their sects' peculiar perspectives.

The difference for Apostolic Christians is that Apostolic Tradition comes from the same source as the Sacred Scripture -- the Holy Spirit.
=======================

The Scripture is plenty clear in its support for the Real Presence, and this is still the faith of an overwhelming majority of the world's Christians.

But Bible Christians have convinced themselves that Jesus was making a metaphor.

So the Bible Christians and non-believers are scandalized that we don't change things to accommodate persons with medical allergies.

But those who believe this is really Jesus Christ, alive and come to receive us, are careful to preserve what has been handed down to us. This is more important than allergies.
Del, do you have a twitter account? It would suit you.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Onyx wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:25 pm
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Del wrote:

=======================

Perhaps it would suit me, too, Onyx.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 pm
Onyx wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:25 pm
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Del wrote:

=======================

Perhaps it would suit me, too, Onyx.
What's your twitter handle?