For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

What is your religious history?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Baptized Catholic as and infant and have ever since remained active Catholic
9%
Baptized Catholic as an infant, drifted away, but have since returned
No votes
Baptized Catholic, but remain so only in name (preferred affiliation)
No votes
Baptized Catholic as an infant, but later became Protestant
9%
Baptized Protestant, but later became Catholic
18%
Baptized Protestant and have ever since remained an active Protestant
45%
Baptized Protestant, drifted away, but have since returned to Protestantism
No votes
Baptized Protestant, but remain so only in name (preferred affiliation)
No votes
Baptized Evangelical, and have remained so
18%
Baptized Evangelical, but have since drifted away
No votes

Total votes: 11

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

My Religious History Thread

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:02 pm

What is your religious history?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: My Religious History Thread

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:13 pm

What in the hell do you think you're doing?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:13 pm
What in the hell do you think you're doing?
Wait for it. He's going to relate the choices to tobacco preferences.

Goose, you really should add baptized Catholic or Protestant and subsequently left organized religion altogether. This is the fastest growing demographic in the western world.

There is a list of affiliations around here....
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40084
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30639

And in those threads folks talked about transitions in affiliation.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:56 pm

I really don't think a "poll" on this can even begin to incorporate the varied histories of any large group, or the CPS membership specifically, adequately.

In the form of a question this thread might provide a forum for those who would like to engage in a conversation about their religious journey, but I do not believe it can be conducted successfully as a poll.
Last edited by durangopipe on Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Converted at 27.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:03 pm

I took Christian History three times between college and seminary. I'm not much of a historian apparently

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Are evangelicals, necessarily not Protestant? I have a Baptist brother in law that says he hates evangelicals. I asked him what is his idea of evangelical, and he said "not mainline Protestant". So, one can be Roman Catholic, and also be evangelical, in theory. "Sure", he replied.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:15 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:53 pm
Are evangelicals, necessarily not Protestant? I have a Baptist brother in law that says he hates evangelicals. I asked him what is his idea of evangelical, and he said "not mainline Protestant". So, one can be Roman Catholic, and also be evangelical, in theory. "Sure", he replied.
I think his definitions are a bit off, unless Baptism is now considered mainline Protestant and not Evangelical.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:25 pm

I would like to point out that there are Anglicans who self identify as Evangelical as well as Anglicans who self identify as Catholic. He also fails to mention any permutation of the Orthodox Churches, likely because he simply assumes them to be goofy foreign Catholics.

I find this thread to be both pointless and offensive and I demand a redaction and an explanation.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Baptists are (should be anyway) Evangelical.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:29 pm

+JMJ+

Though not exactly the same, it seems like we've covered some of this ground before.

From the "Your Religious Affiliation" Thread …
AFRS - Liturgical Druid
bean_counter - Independent Christian Church/ Church of Christ (Restoration movement)
bilder non-denominational with a Baptist flavor
Briar_Bowl - American Baptist
Brigid - Orthodox Christian, attending OCA, baptised ROCOR in 1997
BubbaJack - United Methodist
ChildOfGod - Christian, Reformed in personal theology.
Cleon - Reformed, Confessional, High Church, Presbyterian. Member of the PCA.
Cliff - Non-denominational, spiritual (previously Ukrainian Uniate Rite of the Catholic Church)
coco- Southern Baptist, ordained, Reformed, missionary
Codemonkey - Methodist with a Pentecostal background, so I guess I'm a Methodecostal
colton - Anglo-Catholic with an Assemblies of God and non-denom background
Dasmokeryaget - Non Denominational
Del - Roman Catholic (cradle)
DepartedLight - Non denominational
dlfuchs - United Methodist
Donkeymule - non denominational with Methodist and Baptist leanings
fisherofpipes - Anglican
FredS - Evangelical Presbyterian (converted from Episcopalian 10 years ago)
friar_jay - Non-Denominational (Assemblies of God roots, sprinkles of Messianic Judaism, Independent Charismatic, and leaning more and more towards Anglicanism)
GabeSyme- Catholic (cradle)
Gabriel - Baptist ("Reformed", unaffiliated)
gaining_age - non-denominational (current church similar to PCA in reformed theology)
GiantNinja Baptized Catholic, raised pagan (small 'p'), was atheist, received into the Catholic Church at the Easter Vigil of 2003.
gravel - non-denominational
hogleg - Christian
Hovannes- Roman Catholic (cradle)
Irish-Dane - Raised Nazarene until 22 yrs old, Non-Denominational until 32, and while not on board with some of their anti-church ideas, my current faith affiliation can best be defined in the Emergent and Emerging movements
Jake - non-denominational Calvary Chapelite (raised Catholic from infancy until preteen)
JimVH - Southern Baptist
jjmitchem - Christian (grew up Catholic, married in a Lutheran Church, came to a new relationship with Christ in a Methodist Church, baptized and called to ministry in a Baptist Church) - multi denominational Army Chaplain
jo533281 - Orthodox OCA - Converted in 2010 after many years as a Methodist
Joshoowah - United Methodist (baptized in a Baptist church in 2003, switched to UM 2005)
jruegg - United Methodist (raised United Methodist, baptized at 13, grew up seeing how 'Christians' treated others and didn’t want anything to do with that, God got a hold of me in 2001 during a men’s retreat, diligently studied the various Christian traditions in college searching for Truth, ended up back in United Methodist church [the "radical center" theologically speaking])
JudgeRusty-Southern Baptist, but probably more open minded than they prefer
Lushmojo - Roman Catholic (2012 convert after 30+ years of evangelical protestantism - baptized Southern Baptist, spent years in A/G and nondenominational)
Mountainman- Evangelical nondenominational with Orthodox leanings.
MrPiper - Baptist
mrs_gabriel - raised Luthern, switched to Christian Church, switched to Baptist, dabbled in Vineyard-- moved out of my crazy home -- landed safely and happily in General Baptist, which then dropped the General Baptist and is now Reformed, non-affiliated
MurfBorn Roman Catholic, much in between, now Reformed Non-Denominational Protestant.
N8 Baptisty / just a single Christian person
nosferatu - non-denominational evangelical. Raised Southern Baptist.
OldWorldSwine - Roman Catholic since 1993. Raised Baptist, then was Presbyterian (PCUSA) for a bit.
Onyx - Born, baptised and raised Presbyterian. 20+ years in wild-eyed crazy-ar$e cult. Now without faith.
Rainman498 - Baptized in SBC at age 12, converted to RCC in 2010
Roadmaster - Non Denom baptized by a Baptist Minister
Rooster - Roman Catholic
Rusty - Baptized Anglican, ejected for being a nuisance as a child, now a secular humanist who enjoys religion
serapion - Anglican, exploring Orthodoxy. Previously non-denom charismatic Reformed Baptist
sleepinggecko - Born, bap, raised emergent Pentecostal, converted to RCC in 2010
SlowToke - non-denominational
StatHaldol - Christian...
Steverino - Reformed (PCA); on staff in Southern Baptist church at the present.
SweetandSour - Southern Baptist
TheRealAaron - Roman Catholic
Thoth - Coptic Orthodox jurisdiction (See of Alexandria) of the Oriental Orthodox family of the Orthodox church (cradle)
Thunktank - Orthodox (See of Antioch) since 2002.
Tobacco_Tenderfoot - Roman Catholic since 2011, 4ish years of Non-Denom, lots of not practicing, baptised Lutheran
tuttle - baptist, reformed, associated with the SBC
UncleBob - Methodist
Walkman - Roman Catholic (Raised Lutheran, converted 2007)
Wosbald - Roman Catholic (cradle)
Zed - Nondenom

And then comes that quaintly rough-&-tumble smackdown: the "Religious Affiliation Discussion Thread" thread, quizzically occasioned by the "Your Religious Affiliation" thread.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:51 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:28 pm
Baptists are (should be anyway) Evangelical.
Yeah, that's what I always thought. Sometimes I think the term evangelical gets defined politically rather than anything else.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:20 pm

American Evangelicalism can be viewed theologically, historically, sociologically or politically, but is likely best understood by looking at it through all of these lenses.

Most Christian expressions affirm The Evangel, proclaiming the Good News and asserting the necessity of Christian witness, but "American Evangelicalism" is not simply that.

Mark Noll, a contemporary church historian who deeply examined the history of the Evangelical movement in America argued that American Evangelical Christianity is best understood as a kind of "culturally adaptive biblical experimentalism."

This definition/understanding of the movement is articulated in his book, American Evangelical Christianity, An Introduction.

Great book by a brilliant scholar and a great guy.

Simply put, "Evangelicalism" cannot be defined as a fixed entity either theologically, sociologically or politically. It is a Christian expression that has changed over time in response to complex circumstances. For some, this is seen as its great strength and for others as evidence of its loss of connection to the apostolic faith.

Reformation . . . here we go again.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:39 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:29 pm
+JMJ+

Though not exactly the same, it seems like we've covered some of this ground before.

AFRS - Liturgical Druid
bean_counter - Independent Christian Church/ Church of Christ (Restoration movement)
Cliff - Non-denominational, spiritual (previously Ukrainian Uniate Rite of the Catholic Church)
Codemonkey - Methodist with a Pentecostal background, so I guess I'm a Methodecostal
fisherofpipes - Anglican
friar_jay - Non-Denominational (Assemblies of God roots, sprinkles of Messianic Judaism, Independent Charismatic, and leaning more and more towards Anglicanism)
gaining_age - non-denominational (current church similar to PCA in reformed theology)
GiantNinja Baptized Catholic, raised pagan (small 'p'), was atheist, received into the Catholic Church at the Easter Vigil of 2003.
hogleg - Christian
Irish-Dane - Raised Nazarene until 22 yrs old, Non-Denominational until 32, and while not on board with some of their anti-church ideas, my current faith affiliation can best be defined in the Emergent and Emerging movements
Jake - non-denominational Calvary Chapelite (raised Catholic from infancy until preteen)
JimVH - Southern Baptist
jjmitchem - Christian (grew up Catholic, married in a Lutheran Church, came to a new relationship with Christ in a Methodist Church, baptized and called to ministry in a Baptist Church) - multi denominational Army Chaplain
Joshoowah - United Methodist (baptized in a Baptist church in 2003, switched to UM 2005)
jruegg - United Methodist (raised United Methodist, baptized at 13, grew up seeing how 'Christians' treated others and didn’t want anything to do with that, God got a hold of me in 2001 during a men’s retreat, diligently studied the various Christian traditions in college searching for Truth, ended up back in United Methodist church [the "radical center" theologically speaking])
Lushmojo - Roman Catholic (2012 convert after 30+ years of evangelical protestantism - baptized Southern Baptist, spent years in A/G and nondenominational)
MrPiper - Baptist
mrs_gabriel - raised Luthern, switched to Christian Church, switched to Baptist, dabbled in Vineyard-- moved out of my crazy home -- landed safely and happily in General Baptist, which then dropped the General Baptist and is now Reformed, non-affiliated
MurfBorn Roman Catholic, much in between, now Reformed Non-Denominational Protestant.
OldWorldSwine - Roman Catholic since 1993. Raised Baptist, then was Presbyterian (PCUSA) for a bit.
Onyx - Born, baptised and raised Presbyterian. 20+ years in wild-eyed crazy-ar$e cult. Now without faith.
Rooster - Roman Catholic
Rusty - Baptized Anglican, ejected for being a nuisance as a child, now a secular humanist who enjoys religion
serapion - Anglican, exploring Orthodoxy. Previously non-denom charismatic Reformed Baptist
sleepinggecko - Born, bap, raised emergent Pentecostal, converted to RCC in 2010
Thoth - Coptic Orthodox jurisdiction (See of Alexandria) of the Oriental Orthodox family of the Orthodox church (cradle)
Tobacco_Tenderfoot - Roman Catholic since 2011, 4ish years of Non-Denom, lots of not practicing, baptised Lutheran
UncleBob - Methodist
Zed - Nondenom
And then comes that quaintly rough-&-tumble smackdown: the "Religious Affiliation Discussion Thread" thread, quizzically occasioned by the "Your Religious Affiliation" thread.
Great find!
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:30 pm

wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

AFRS - Liturgical Druid
fisherofpipes - Anglican
Goose55 Baptized as an infant, Catholic. Father wrote to the Pope, excommunicating the family. Now non-denominational Christian
hogleg - Christian
JimVH - Southern Baptist
MrPiper - Baptist
Rooster - Roman Catholic
UncleBob - Methodist
Zed - Nondenom

There, I updated the list to include me.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:30 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

AFRS - Liturgical Druid
fisherofpipes - Anglican
Goose55 Baptized as an infant, Catholic. Father wrote to the Pope, excommunicating the family. Now non-denominational Christian
hogleg - Christian
JimVH - Southern Baptist
MrPiper - Baptist
Rooster - Roman Catholic
UncleBob - Methodist
Zed - Nondenom

Where? I didn't see an entry reading inanely blathering senile heretic with a messianic complex.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:39 pm

+JMJ+
Goose55 wrote:
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:19 pm

Can we just lock and delete this abomination before things get anymore inane and crazy? I don't need another Hovannes to vanquish.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:54 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 pm
Goose55 wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

AFRS - Liturgical Druid
fisherofpipes - Anglican
hogleg - Christian
JimVH - Southern Baptist
MrPiper - Baptist
Rooster - Roman Catholic
UncleBob - Methodist
Zed - Nondenom

Where? I didn't see an entry reading inanely blathering senile heretic with a messianic complex.
This made me LOL, even knowing that use of the term "LOL" likely offended A_Morley most mightily.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:59 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 pm
Goose55 wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

AFRS - Liturgical Druid
fisherofpipes - Anglican
hogleg - Christian
JimVH - Southern Baptist
MrPiper - Baptist
Rooster - Roman Catholic
UncleBob - Methodist
Zed - Nondenom

You got everything right there, fella, except for heretic.