Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: lighters?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 am
A "Vertigo" pipe lighter I got on the cheap from Pipes & Cigars over a year ago has been going strong ever since I stopped buying wooden matches.
Don't play with fire, kid. Only you can prevent forest fires.
As a child, I once accidentally caught the neighbors forest on fire than ran and hid under our row boat. Nobody ever found out.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
A "Vertigo" pipe lighter I got on the cheap from Pipes & Cigars over a year ago has been going strong ever since I stopped buying wooden matches.
As a child, I once accidentally caught the neighbors forest on fire than ran and hid under our row boat. Nobody ever found out.
Not surprised. I'd think unintended death and destruction have followed in your wake all of your life. Row boat was wooden, no doubt?

Be careful with fire, Goose. Scary stuff.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Not surprised. I'd think unintended death and destruction have followed in your wake all of your life. Row boat was wooden, no doubt?

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:40 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I also used to enjoy playing with cans of Instant Start, turning them into blow torches.
Last edited by Goose55 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:24 pm

I bought this antiqued silver zippo with insert last year. I figured it was going to get distressed living in my pocket so it might as well start that way.

For some reason, it had a label warning me to keep it away from Jack-o'-lanterns.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:24 pm
I bought this antiqued silver zippo with insert last year. I figured it was going to get distressed living in my pocket so it might as well start that way.

For some reason, it had a label warning me to keep it away from Jack-o'-lanterns.

Halloween is just around the corner...I would use that lighter to light the Jack-o'-lantern
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm
FredS wrote:

Halloween is just around the corner...I would use that lighter to light the Jack-o'-lantern
I think that's a drawing of young Goose.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:27 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:32 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm
FredS wrote:

I think that's a drawing of young Goose.
No, that's a baby quail or roadrunner. Geese don't have Mohawks.

kaydens
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by kaydens » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Austrian made imco if you can find them.

Which Old Boy did you end up getting?
www.iBriar.com
Intuitive Browsing
Sensible Selection

"On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God."

~J. S. Bach

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm

I ordered one of these on Amazon, today:

It was only $13.83!

:taco:

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm

It was only $13.83!

That's because it's ugly.

:dancingpie:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm

It was only $13.83!

That's because it's ugly.

:dancingpie:
Probably scare the jack-o-lanterns.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Hey a new lighter is almost as fun as getting a new pipe. Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 pm
Where's that post of Morley's about the dummy looking for 1q and sparking up his pipe with a Zippo? That was a classic.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Where's that post of Morley's about the dummy looking for 1q and sparking up his pipe with a Zippo? That was a classic.
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:13 pm
A_Morley wrote:I tend to hold a pipe in my mouth. It is far easier to do with a small pipe. Also, I am of a slight, lanky build. I find that I look and feel awkward smoking a pipe with a bowl the size of a coffee can, as where a smaller, slighter pipe simply feels more natural. What is more, I am often on the move and have to carry more than one pipe on my person. This, of course, is easier to do with pipes of a smaller size.

I also find that I do not like men who conspicuously favor massive pipes. They tend to be fat, awkward, poorly dressed people with limited vocabularies and irritating opinions. Honestly, when I ran a tobacco shop, I made it a point to observe the characteristics of various pipe smoking customers. Those big pipe guys were little better than philistines, I tell you. Just the worst. Piggish, grunting sub-humans who would come in making wheezing noises and saying things like,

"Howdy, young feller. Do ya' work here? Ya do? Young guy like you? You ain't old enough to smoke. So, do ya have that Rob's Blend? What do ya mean you ain't heard of Rob's Blend? I gets it all a' the time over at Rob's Baccy and Bait Shop over in Bumblescum County. 'Likely a re-branded domestic bulk tobacco?' What th' heck's that 'spose to mean? Those is some five dollar words, them is."

Then, when I would give him some goddamn 1Q or RLP-6, old Billy Bob Beachball Gut with a Budweiser hat would pull out the biggest, ugliest pipe I had ever seen and use his non-opposable thumb to pack his bowl and, after firing that big bastard up with a pipe zippo, he would usually say something like,

"Well, if that don't beat all. I thought you said you didn't have Rob's Blend, but this is Rob's Blend sure as my cousin's my common law wife. Give me five bucks worth."

Dammit. Why did you have to make me remember that? This is why I hate you all.
This post is worth starting the thread.

Well done!

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:01 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:13 pm
A_Morley wrote:I tend to hold a pipe in my mouth. It is far easier to do with a small pipe. Also, I am of a slight, lanky build. I find that I look and feel awkward smoking a pipe with a bowl the size of a coffee can, as where a smaller, slighter pipe simply feels more natural. What is more, I am often on the move and have to carry more than one pipe on my person. This, of course, is easier to do with pipes of a smaller size.

I also find that I do not like men who conspicuously favor massive pipes. They tend to be fat, awkward, poorly dressed people with limited vocabularies and irritating opinions. Honestly, when I ran a tobacco shop, I made it a point to observe the characteristics of various pipe smoking customers. Those big pipe guys were little better than philistines, I tell you. Just the worst. Piggish, grunting sub-humans who would come in making wheezing noises and saying things like,

"Howdy, young feller. Do ya' work here? Ya do? Young guy like you? You ain't old enough to smoke. So, do ya have that Rob's Blend? What do ya mean you ain't heard of Rob's Blend? I gets it all a' the time over at Rob's Baccy and Bait Shop over in Bumblescum County. 'Likely a re-branded domestic bulk tobacco?' What th' heck's that 'spose to mean? Those is some five dollar words, them is."

Then, when I would give him some goddamn 1Q or RLP-6, old Billy Bob Beachball Gut with a Budweiser hat would pull out the biggest, ugliest pipe I had ever seen and use his non-opposable thumb to pack his bowl and, after firing that big bastard up with a pipe zippo, he would usually say something like,

"Well, if that don't beat all. I thought you said you didn't have Rob's Blend, but this is Rob's Blend sure as my cousin's my common law wife. Give me five bucks worth."

Dammit. Why did you have to make me remember that? This is why I hate you all.
This post is worth starting the thread.

Well done!

Yeah, that one. Put me off zippos. I've met that feller.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm

My Nimrod is still working well, but it is bigger and a little bulkier than my Zippo. I find myself taking the Zippo with me to the patio when I smoke. Its dark normally and the zippo is comfortable and just seems to be the one I use.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm
My Nimrod is still working well, but it is bigger and a little bulkier than my Zippo. I find myself taking the Zippo with me to the patio when I smoke. Its dark normally and the zippo is comfortable and just seems to be the one I use.
Huh, my Nimrod Commander is no bigger. Are you using that abomination, the Sportsman.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm
Huh, my Nimrod Commander is no bigger. Are you using that abomination, the Sportsman.
Yeah, my Nimrod is definitely more slender than a Zippo, I am not sure which is taller without a side by side comparison, and that would involve standing up.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:32 pm

I don’t know about big fat guys that don’t speak well (although, I hugely enjoyed reading Morley’s post), but when the wind is blowing a lighter with a windguard and a flame generated with a flint, lighter fluid and a wick (Nimrod, Zippo . . .) is nice to have.

Matches indoors.
Zippo in the wind.

Today, I left my Zippo at home and cursed myself for it.

Enjoy your new lighter, UB.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year