Joel Osteen & John the Baptist; A Conversation

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Re: Joel Osteen & John the Baptist; A Conversation

Post by Skip » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:51 pm

2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:31 pm

"And a little child shall lead them."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:04 am

St John the Baptist is a saint.

Joel Osteen has not been episcopally ordained, therefor, I do not care what he has said or written on any topic if he is claiming to act in a ministerial capacity.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Betcha Osteen has never heard this song, or, if he has, it's message never entered his brain....

Amy Grant - Better Than A Hallelujah (Official Music Video)

https://youtu.be/Rm5kx3xqmg0
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

EvilGoose55
Congregation
Congregation

Post by EvilGoose55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:36 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:06 am

This thread is a fitting place for sock puppets.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:33 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:04 am
St John the Baptist is a saint.

Joel Osteen has not been episcopally ordained, therefor, I do not care what he has said or written on any topic if he is claiming to act in a ministerial capacity.
St. John the Baptist is the patron of my hometown parish. Love is obedience unto death.

I know nothing of Joel Osteen other than rumors by his detractors. And he puts his own picture on the covers of books.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 pm
Betcha Osteen has never heard this song, or, if he has, it's message never entered his brain....

When my life first fell apart in 2013, I'd bawl like a baby any time I heard that song.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:48 pm

Fainn wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:41 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 pm

When my life first fell apart in 2013, I'd bawl like a baby any time I heard that song.
I bet those were healing tears. That Amy Grant song can do that to a person. And yet I have heard some Christians being quite judgmental about her being a divorcee. The song doesn't get though to them.

Glad it got through to you, Mr. Fainn.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:11 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:28 pm
Jocose wrote:The guy can fill a stadium.
That says a whole lot more about the sorry & desperate souls buying tickets than it does about him.
AH. I now understand why Coldplay is still around.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:37 am
DepartedLight wrote:"John? Is that a camel hair coat you're sporting? I gotta tell ya. That bad boy reeks. It's like I've said before, 'Be careful what you say. You can say something hurtful in ten seconds, but ten years later, the wounds are still there.' Well, you know, so long as you don't get beheaded for what you say. And this 'voice crying out in the wilderness' thing you got going on. Yeah. I dunno about that. I've always said, 'Don't use your words to describe the situation. Use your words to change the situation.' And you suck at both, man. mm-kay?"
I'm not sure if JtB would knock some of Osteen's teeth out, but if I was in Osteen's shoes in the encounter, I would be nervous about that possibility.
In all seriousness, this kind of thinking is rampant on CPS lately (see the Arius pic). Can you (or anyone else) show one time when Jesus or John the Baptist resorted to violence to spread the Gospel? To defend the Gospel? Only once I can think of for defense (see Matthew 26) and Jesus rebuked him.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:52 am

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:"John? Is that a camel hair coat you're sporting? I gotta tell ya. That bad boy reeks. It's like I've said before, 'Be careful what you say. You can say something hurtful in ten seconds, but ten years later, the wounds are still there.' Well, you know, so long as you don't get beheaded for what you say. And this 'voice crying out in the wilderness' thing you got going on. Yeah. I dunno about that. I've always said, 'Don't use your words to describe the situation. Use your words to change the situation.' And you suck at both, man. mm-kay?"
I'm not sure if JtB would knock some of Osteen's teeth out, but if I was in Osteen's shoes in the encounter, I would be nervous about that possibility.
In all seriousness, this kind of thinking is rampant on CPS lately (see the Arius pic). Can you (or anyone else) show one time when Jesus or John the Baptist resorted to violence to spread the Gospel? To defend the Gospel? Only once I can think of for defense (see Matthew 26) and Jesus rebuked him.
I can't think of him ever directly punching a man, but I would imagine his rage quit at the Temple wasn't entirely non-violent.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:52 am
UncleBob wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
I can't think of him ever directly punching a man, but I would imagine his rage quit at the Temple wasn't entirely non-violent.
John 2 wrote: 14 In the temple courts He found men selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and money changers seated at their tables. 15 So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle. He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16 To those selling doves He said, “Get these out of here! How dare you turn My Father’s house into a marketplace!”
In truth, he only used the whip on the animals; a common way to drive herd animals.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 am

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:32 am
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
John 2 wrote: 14 In the temple courts He found men selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and money changers seated at their tables. 15 So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle. He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16 To those selling doves He said, “Get these out of here! How dare you turn My Father’s house into a marketplace!”
In truth, he only used the whip on the animals; a common way to drive herd animals.
Yes, I understand. Still, it doesn't seem entirely peaceable to me. I have no way of knowing, of course, because I wasn't there. But it seems threatening.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:46 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 am
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Yes, I understand. Still, it doesn't seem entirely peaceable to me. I have no way of knowing, of course, because I wasn't there. But it seems threatening.
It could be understood that way but, in the light of His other acts, it would seem more reasonable to understand it as nonviolent simply because He went out of His way to avoid violence every other time. However, people always look for excuses to commit violence if it is in their nature.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:11 am

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
I suppose those money-changers could have meekly backed away from their tables so He could turn them over. I still think that whip had something to do with it.

There is also this strange passage in which Jesus, on the night before He died, seems to foretell the need for Christians to take up arms:
Luke 22 wrote:35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:23 am

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:46 am
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
It could be understood that way but, in the light of His other acts, it would seem more reasonable to understand it as nonviolent simply because He went out of His way to avoid violence every other time. However, people always look for excuses to commit violence if it is in their nature.
Well, I'm of no mind to punch a man for Christ regardless. I don't think it serves much purpose.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:47 am

Del wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:11 am
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
I suppose those money-changers could have meekly backed away from their tables so He could turn them over. I still think that whip had something to do with it.

There is also this strange passage in which Jesus, on the night before He died, seems to foretell the need for Christians to take up arms:
Luke 22 wrote:35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:48 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:23 am
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Well, I'm of no mind to punch a man for Christ regardless. I don't think it serves much purpose.
Fair enough.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:27 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:48 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:23 am
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Fair enough.
Sorry, late to the discussion. My comment, was ill-suited for the theology forum, and I apologise.
The thought sprang more from JO's oversized and overused smile and doctrine, than any analysis of violent tendencies of JTB.
My bad. Shouldn't have been posting in the TF.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Wonder if he could get Dolly Parton to sing this.

https://www.facebook.com/39171898761/videos/10155713771658762/
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III