Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 34863
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by UncleBob » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:33 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:19 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm
I almost bought this one just a moment ago:

Image
Danish Estates: Danish Sovereign Smooth (305) (by Stanwell)

I am glad I called, though. I don't generally care for oval shanks. This has an oval shank.
Yeah, but it is particularly sinuous in profile, with a sweeping line following through its uplifted heel, languid transition, and gently-turned shank. For $65!

Still, I'd go for the Algerian briar bent billiard. Apart from the alliteration, it is both charming and playful. :pipe2:
I'm still resisting (so far). But that pipe is an excellent example of a half-bent billiard.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6115
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:52 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:59 am
On to others: I held this 1960s Dunhill in my hand yesterday. There was an indication he would take less than the $200 listed price; for a Dunhill in this condition, I am not sure why he would have to.
It is a Group 4 and seems just a bit small for me.
Image
https://www.milantobacco.com/estate_pipes.htm#England
The fever has subsided. I am out on this one. I will leave this here as one of you with a Dunhill urge should snap this up.

Now, back to sniffing out long shanked Upshalls.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21716
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:54 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:52 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:59 am
On to others: I held this 1960s Dunhill in my hand yesterday. There was an indication he would take less than the $200 listed price; for a Dunhill in this condition, I am not sure why he would have to.
It is a Group 4 and seems just a bit small for me.
Image
https://www.milantobacco.com/estate_pipes.htm#England
The fever has subsided. I am out on this one. I will leave this here as one of you with a Dunhill urge should snap this up.

Now, back to sniffing out long shanked Upshalls.
I have that shape and size in the Shell Briar finish. It's my birth year pipe.

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3443
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Image

I just saw this on the smokingpipes homepage slider. It really spoke to me. In fact, I thought, "I haven't bought a pipe in a long time! You deserve it!"

At least I have good taste, I guess. No so sure how wife would feel on me blowing a couple mortgage payments on 1 pipe instead :/

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ ... _id=253577
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by Jester » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:18 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:24 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:01 pm
Jester wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 pm
Image
Not my thing, but amazing work.
I wouldn't know whether to smoke it or put it in my transmission.
I've held this pipe in my hands.
That must have knocked a couple of bucks off the resale value, eh? :clown:
I also put the stem to my lips. It was all downhill from there.

For the record, this was before it was sold so the lucky schmuck who shelled out the $1500+ for this one got some ID fingerprints and spit.
It's funny I found this pipe randomly a month ago. Today I found another pipe that I like randomly on the steampunk thread. FredS brought it to my attention that BOTH pipes were made by Nate King who is on this forum. One could call me a Nate King fan.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21021
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by FredS » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:01 pm
Jester wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 pm
Image
Not my thing, but amazing work.
I wouldn't know whether to smoke it or put it in my transmission.
That's funny. The guy who made this pipe (N8) worked as a transmission specialist for an Indy racing team before he started carving pipes. I have some gears out of a Lola gearbox that he traded for a pipe I made a few years ago. I've been inside street transmissions and even made gears when I was a machinist, but these Indy car gears are absolute works of art. The surface finish and polish on them is immaculate. It's easy to see why a gear head such as N8 would be inspired by them.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by durangopipe » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:14 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 am
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:01 pm
Jester wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 pm
Image
Not my thing, but amazing work.
I wouldn't know whether to smoke it or put it in my transmission.
That's funny. The guy who made this pipe (N8) worked as a transmission specialist for an Indy racing team before he started carving pipes. I have some gears out of a Lola gearbox that he traded for a pipe I made a few years ago. I've been inside street transmissions and even made gears when I was a machinist, but these Indy car gears are absolute works of art. The surface finish and polish on them is immaculate. It's easy to see why a gear head such as N8 would be inspired by them.
Yes, that does make a lot of sense.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16309
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Somebody bought Jims group two Dunhill. I am content.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 34863
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by UncleBob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Oh my, my! Oh, hell yes!

Ser Jacopo Smooth Bent Apple wtih Silver

Image
$225
Product Number: 004-006-17217
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by durangopipe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:53 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm
Oh my, my! Oh, hell yes!

Ser Jacopo Smooth Bent Apple wtih Silver

Image

$225
Product Number: 004-006-17217
Gorgeous!
I hope a CPSer is able to grab it.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by durangopipe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:55 pm
Image

I just saw this on the smokingpipes homepage slider. It really spoke to me. In fact, I thought, "I haven't bought a pipe in a long time! You deserve it!"

At least I have good taste, I guess. No so sure how wife would feel on me blowing a couple mortgage payments on 1 pipe instead :/

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ ... _id=253577
It's sold, Rev.
Did you grab it?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3443
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:16 pm

durangopipe wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:55 pm
Image

I just saw this on the smokingpipes homepage slider. It really spoke to me. In fact, I thought, "I haven't bought a pipe in a long time! You deserve it!"

At least I have good taste, I guess. No so sure how wife would feel on me blowing a couple mortgage payments on 1 pipe instead :/

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ ... _id=253577
It's sold, Rev.
Did you grab it?
I wish!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 34863
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:26 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 34863
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 am

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 am
Mark Tinsky Christmas Sunrise Bent Apple (One Star) (2016)

Image
Product Number: 004-009-9728
$175
That’s a beauty.
My kind of pipe, for sure.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7522
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 am
UncleBob wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 am
Mark Tinsky Christmas Sunrise Bent Apple (One Star) (2016)

Image
Product Number: 004-009-9728
$175
That’s a beauty.
My kind of pipe, for sure.
Just saw this pipe...or the picture of this pipe...Man that is a beauty...classic!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 34863
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by UncleBob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 pm

I am in deep doo-doo. One of you need to buy this ASAP before I do and suffer the wrath of Mrs UB:

Image
$236 Peterson: Deluxe System (B42) P-Lip
Product Number: 002-029-34855
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by Rusty » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:50 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 pm
I am in deep doo-doo. One of you need to buy this ASAP before I do and suffer the wrath of Mrs UB:

Image
$236 Peterson: Deluxe System (B42) P-Lip
Product Number: 002-029-34855
That's one fine Darwin! Yes, it is. That's it. Can Christians have things like that?
It's Christmas, surely Mrs UB isn't Madame Scrooge with pipes at Christmas?

You could ask Santa.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 am
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 am
UncleBob wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 am
Mark Tinsky Christmas Sunrise Bent Apple (One Star) (2016)

Image
Product Number: 004-009-9728
$175
That’s a beauty.
My kind of pipe, for sure.
Just saw this pipe...or the picture of this pipe...Man that is a beauty...classic!

An early and severe test of my New Years resolution to simply enjoy the pipes I already have.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 am
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 am
UncleBob wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 am
Mark Tinsky Christmas Sunrise Bent Apple (One Star) (2016)

Image
Product Number: 004-009-9728
$175
That’s a beauty.
My kind of pipe, for sure.
Just saw this pipe...or the picture of this pipe...Man that is a beauty...classic!

An early and severe test of my New Years resolution to simply enjoy the pipes I already have
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Post Reply