Favorite Pipe Stands and Racks

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Favorite Pipe Stands and Racks

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 pm

I thought it might be interesting to see folks' favorite pipe stands/racks.

This one is a favorite:

For years I admired one just like it that belonged to a friend.
I finally found one!

That's a Pete 150 in the stand, a Kapet - the pipe I probably smoke most often at work.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: Favorite Pipe Stands and Racks

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:04 pm

I expected to see a wall rack with a capacity of a hundred plus pipes! Nice puppies. :lol:

I don't have any decorative pipe rests for when I'm smoking. I have no idea why. I've never had any. I suspect it's because my wife regards all this as tchotchke debris, clutter, etc and is opposed to it. If the pipe won't sit on it's own I will sometimes use a medium wide short rubber band to do the same thing. The pipe sits in the small circle of rubber. Usually the rubber band has enjoyed a previous occupation holding broccoli heads or asparagus spears together. Reuse. We are resourceful clutter makers.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:04 pm
I expected to see a wall rack with a capacity of a hundred plus pipes! Nice puppies. :lol:

I don't have any decorative pipe rests for when I'm smoking. I have no idea why. I've never had any. I suspect it's because my wife regards all this as tchotchke debris, clutter, etc and is opposed to it. If the pipe won't sit on it's own I will sometimes use a medium wide short rubber band to do the same thing. The pipe sits in the small circle of rubber. Usually the rubber band has enjoyed a previous occupation holding broccoli heads or asparagus spears together. Reuse. We are resourceful clutter makers.
:thumbsup:
Broccoli and asparagus rubber bands are almost as critical for survival as duct tape.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:45 pm

I have one that's a curled up hound dog that JimVanHalen gave me a while ago. It usually sits on my workbench but now it's packed away. If I ever find it I'll show it here.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:25 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:45 pm
I have one that's a curled up hound dog that JimVanHalen gave me a while ago. It usually sits on my workbench but now it's packed away. If I ever find it I'll show it here.
I'll look forward to seeing it, Fred - hope others have a few pipe stands to show as well.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Thought I might add these . . .

I just finished putting this one together with a setter figurine I found on eBay (it's really nice to have a break from school!):

I think I posted a photo of this one a long time ago, but it got lost when Photobucket went to heck (another repurposed figurine):

This one was a simple as just resting the pipes in a Hebrew word for "Life" brass paperweight - might have posted this paperweight before when Fainn was thinking about a tattoo:

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 pm
Thought I might add these . . .

I just finished putting this one together with a setter figurine I found on eBay (it's really nice to have a break from school!):

I think I posted a photo of this one a long time ago, but it got lost when Photobucket went to heck (another repurposed figurine):

This one was a simple as just resting the pipes in a Hebrew word for "Life" brass paperweight - might have posted this paperweight before when Fainn was thinking about a tattoo:

How do you keep the pipes from sliding off the dog?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 pm

It isn't a problem on the setter racks. The pipes nestle into ridges or pockets on the figurines, and the wooden bars on the bottom hold them steady. The edge of the square bar fits into a bead line on the bulldogs, the bowls of the pipes on the other rest butt up against the dowel.

The bulldog on the left in the paperweight has a small piece of rubber beneath the bowl; the Canadian just sits in the brass without any problem.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 pm
This sure sounds like the set up for a joke, but I can't figure out the punch line.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:28 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:10 pm
Goose55 wrote:
This sure sounds like the set up for a joke, but I can't figure out the punch line.
:pipe2:

Yeah, it kinda does.
Maybe somebody will come up with the rest of the joke.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:32 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:28 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:10 pm
Goose55 wrote:
:pipe2:

Yeah, it kinda does.
Maybe somebody will come up with the rest of the joke.
The dog is a setter?

or

You don't. He retrieves it.

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 pm

I restored this old stand a few years ago that I picked up at a flea market. Always liked how it turned out. Sold it though.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:01 pm

JMG wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 pm
I restored this old stand a few years ago that I picked up at a flea market. Always liked how it turned out. Sold it though.

That's gorgeous!
I imagine you miss it.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Forget who did it but a CPSer made cool looking Tiki pipe stands.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 pm

jruegg wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:39 pm
Forget who did it but a CPSer made cool looking Tiki pipe stands.
That would have been Mudharp.
He posted it here in 2011.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:41 am

A fella had a pile of these magnetic type stands at the 2017 Chicago show. I like them because they allow for an unobstructed 360 view of the pipes. The sky is the limit for their design and they're art in and of themselves. Someday I'll get around to making some from the driftwood around the lake down over the hill.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 am

joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:41 am
A fella had a pile of these magnetic type stands at the 2017 Chicago show. I like them because they allow for an unobstructed 360 view of the pipes. The sky is the limit for their design and they're art in and of themselves. Someday I'll get around to making some from the driftwood around the lake down over the hill.

Those have always fascinated me.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 am
joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:41 am

Those have always fascinated me.
Maybe sometime in the near future I'll make some to sell.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:04 pm

This eloquent stand by yours truly is still getting the job done two years later

viewtopic.php?t=39506

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 pm

That, as the kids say, is dope.