The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:39 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
Clearly, the visionary is a flat earther.
That is what most believed/ perceived back then, for they had little to no astronomic knowledge. If in his vision, he saw earth as a sphere, it would have been questioned. This is good biblical interpretation, really, for we look at it through the eyes of those that lived in that day.
Egypt called. But then Greece cut in. China killed the whole phone switch to chime in. Then The Vikings walked in like they always do and decimated everyone and everything. Is there a public library in your town?
Yes. Why do you ask?
I wanted to ensure a valid place for reference was easily accessible to you first. Now that we know it is. You must dedicate 1 hr per day the library is open to go there and read world history. 15 minutes for parking and in / out. 45 minutes of solid study. First trips can be dedicated on selecting a good, solid, valid World Histroy tomes in various volumes. Dive in.

To what end?! You might think, incredulously.

As Ronald Regan was fond of pausing after saying, "Well."

Anyone who thinks that ancient societies had no idea how to circumnavigate the globe is simply a rube. A post that begs japes be dumped at its base.

They ever tell us the 2nd part of the rhyme, ya know?

In fourteen hundred and ninety-two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
And in fourteen hundred and ninety-three
He contracted syphylis and later died in insanity.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 pm

2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:06 pm

Skip wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 pm
Eratosthenes...
Yo, ID. It's legit. No Rick Roll clicker. Honest.
DL Jake

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:46 am

Goose55 wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
That is what most believed/ perceived back then, for they had little to no astronomic knowledge. If in his vision, he saw earth as a sphere, it would have been questioned. This is good biblical interpretation, really, for we look at it through the eyes of those that lived in that day.
Actually, the Greeks knew that the earth was round since the time of Thales (500+ BC), and had a fair approximation of the earth's diameter. Greek-speaking Christians were the first readers of John's vision.

The poetic image of "Four Winds" remains with us today, unrestrained by our knowledge of geology.

The context of the Scripture seems clear that the "Four Winds" represent the chaos of storms and other natural disasters. In the language of poetry, a metaphor for violence and strife.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:59 am

Skip wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 pm
Eratosthenes...
I didn't know this guy! He was 300 years after Thales, almost 300 years before John's vision.... original estimates of the earth's size were already highly refined and in common use by the time John wrote.

Throughout the Middle Ages, it was a common exercise to have university students calculate the circumference of the earth. I don't know where this myth of "people thought the earth was flat until Columbus" came from.

Christopher Columbus was the anomaly. Using some new method, he estimated that the earth was much smaller than ancient determinations. Fooled by false science, he reckoned that he could efficiently reach the Far East by traveling West from Europe.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:05 am

Del wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:46 am
Goose55 wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:

Actually, the Greeks knew that the earth was round since the time of Thales (500+ BC), and had a fair approximation of the earth's diameter. Greek-speaking Christians were the first readers of John's vision.

The poetic image of "Four Winds" remains with us today, unrestrained by our knowledge of geology.

The context of the Scripture seems clear that the "Four Winds" represent the chaos of storms and other natural disasters. In the language of poetry, a metaphor for violence and strife.
Try to keep up, delster.
DL Jake

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 am

Del wrote:
Sounds a lot like today. But there has always been violence and strife in this world. Folks just never learned of it until long afterwards. But today, it seems amplified by our almost instant communication technology
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:37 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 am
Del wrote:
Sounds a lot like today. But there has always been violence and strife in this world. Folks just never learned of it until long afterwards. But today, it seems amplified by our almost instant communication technology
OH! You think that Revelation is about events to come, and might represent our current time!

Many people do, but oddly I tend to forget that. My peeps don't ever talk about Revelation like that.

Most of Revelation is a glimpse of what our worship looks like in heaven as we celebrate the Mass/Divine Liturgy here below. What the Lamb Who Was Slain actually accomplished by His Sacrifice on the Cross, and made present again by His sacrifice on our altars.

There have been many apostasies, and many anti-christs.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:41 am

Del wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:37 am
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
OH! You think that Revelation is about events to come, and might represent our current time! Many people do, but oddly I tend to forget that.
Christian eschatology is a major branch of study within Christian theology dealing with the "last things." Both the Old Testament book of Daniel, and Revelation are eschatological. Here is one of my most favorite passages in Daniel. A clear picture the how God is wrapping things up in this old world:

Daniel's description, and interpretation, of Babylon's King Nebuchadnezzar's dream (Daniel, ch 2):

"You continued looking until a stone was cut out without hands, and it struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and crushed them. Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver and the gold were crushed all at the same time and became like chaff from the summer threshing floors; and the wind carried them away so that not a trace of them was found. But the stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth [......]

"In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which will never be destroyed, and that kingdom will not be left for another people; it will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, but it will itself endure forever. Inasmuch as you saw that a stone was cut out of the mountain without hands and that it crushed the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold, the great God has made known to the king what will take place in the future; so the dream is true and its interpretation is trustworthy.”

If it's trustworthy, we all ought to count such writings for what they are. God not leaving us in the dark.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:28 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:41 am
Del wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:37 am
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
OH! You think that Revelation is about events to come, and might represent our current time! Many people do, but oddly I tend to forget that.
Christian eschatology is a major branch of study within Christian theology dealing with the "last things." Both the Old Testament book of Daniel, and Revelation are eschatological. Here is one of my most favorite passages in Daniel. A clear picture the how God is wrapping things up in this old world:

Daniel's description, and interpretation, of Babylon's King Nebuchadnezzar's dream (Daniel, ch 2):

"You continued looking until a stone was cut out without hands, and it struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and crushed them. Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver and the gold were crushed all at the same time and became like chaff from the summer threshing floors; and the wind carried them away so that not a trace of them was found. But the stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth [......]

"In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which will never be destroyed, and that kingdom will not be left for another people; it will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, but it will itself endure forever. Inasmuch as you saw that a stone was cut out of the mountain without hands and that it crushed the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold, the great God has made known to the king what will take place in the future; so the dream is true and its interpretation is trustworthy.”

If it's trustworthy, we all ought to count such writings for what they are. God not leaving us in the dark.
This passage seems clearly to prophesy the coming of Christ and the establishment His Church, the "new and everlasting covenant."
"The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone." -- And the Church that Christ established has filled the whole earth.

But Scripture has a way of saying more than one thing, with layers of meaning. There could be something here that applies to future events -- the revelation will be seen in hindsight.

For my part, we are in the End Times now.... as we have been in the End Times for 2000 years. Our mission is the same as that of the Apostles.

I have not concerned myself much with the theories of American Evangelicals, dispensationalism, "rapture," and all that. I treat that as a distraction from our mission as Christians.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:28 am
For my part, we are in the End Times now.... as we have been in the End Times for 2000 years. Our mission is the same as that of the Apostles.

I have not concerned myself much with the theories of American Evangelicals, dispensationalism, "rapture," and all that. I treat that as a distraction from our mission as Christians.
I couldn't be more in agreement w/ what you say here.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:06 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:28 am

I couldn't be more in agreement w/ what you say here.
Agreed here, as well.
Goose55 wrote:Both the Old Testament book of Daniel, and Revelation are eschatological.
I'm going to leave Revelation alone.

As for Daniel. I took a course in Biblical Hermeneutics that used the book of Daniel as its focus. The professor was an Evangelical Christian and an Old Testament scholar. One of the textbooks we used had a title I have long since forgotten, but I will never forget the theological framework under which the book was written nor the intellectual lens through which Daniel was being examined in that course. That framework saw the book of Daniel not only as primarily prophetic of the end-times but also "clearly" pre-millenial; and, as if that weren't enough, pre-tribulational as well.

Since it was a course in hermeneutics, I read more widely in hermeneutics than the required texts and a wide range of scholarly commentaries on Daniel as well. The more I studied both, the more clear it became that my professor was misusing most of the very hermeneutical tools he was teaching us. Biblical scholarship, at the very least, did not support a clear and certain interpretation either of pre-millennialism from Daniel, nor especially, the even more precise interpretation of a pre-tribulational rapture. In fact, the most widely held position among Old Testament scholars was in contrast to the common Protestant understanding that the book is most useful as an Old Testament guide to the coming "end times." Many, if not most, Old Testament scholars see the book of Daniel, in terms of its application to history, as a history of the Jewish people up to and including the time of the Babylonian captivity, and visions such as the dreams of Nebuchadnezzar as interpreted by Daniel (such as the statue with the feet of clay) as being most applicable to the fall of Nebuchadnezzar and of Babylon. The handwriting, as a dream indicated, was on the wall.

In any event, eschatological interpretations of Daniel likely are not any more worthy of the assertion of clear understanding than those of John in Revelation.

This is said, only to continue the conversation and perhaps expand upon my agreement with you and Del regarding Revelation, your post about Daniel, and the worthiness of overly focusing on the particulars of the end-times.

End-times conversations too often become a distraction from the work of discipleship.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:33 pm

+JMJ+

Types of Winds

Types of winds

Local Winds
Local winds are those that are created as a result of scenery such as mountains, vegetation, water bodies and so on. They usually change very often and the weather forecast people talk about this kind on the TV every day. They can move from mild to extreme winds in just hours. Good examples of local winds are sea breezes and land breezes, and mountain and valley breezes. Local winds cover very short distances.

Global Winds
Global winds are really large air masses that are created mainly as a result of the earth’s rotation, the shape of the earth and the sun’s heating power.

Above are some standard wind belts with the white arrows showing the direction of winds, red arrow showing vertical rising air, and blue arrow showing cold sinking air.

ImageDoldrums:
This is the very low pressure area along the equator where prevailing winds are calmest. This low-pressure area is caused by the constant heating of the sun. This belt extends to about 5° north and south of the equator.

ImageTropical Easterlies (Trade Winds):
This is the belt extending as far as 30° north and south latitude of the Inter-tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ).

ImageHorse Latitudes:
This is wind belt that forms at about 30° north and south latitude between the trade winds and the prevailing Westerlies.

ImagePrevailing Westerlies:
This is the belt extending from 30° to 60° latitude from the ITCZ.

ImagePolar Easterlies:
This belt covers from 60° latitudes to the north and south poles.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Del

Post by Del » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Uncle wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 am
Not all evangelicals are seeking Armageddon
Hmphf.

Skip

Post by Skip » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:37 pm
Uncle wrote:
Hmphf.
Seriously, Bob? You had to bring this up again? Well, I suppose as long as our resident self-professed Biblical experts are posting here, they're not driveling elsewhere.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Skip wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm
Del wrote:
Uncle wrote:
Hmphf.
Seriously, Bob? You had to bring this up again? Well, I suppose as long as our resident self-professed Biblical experts are posting here, they're not driveling elsewhere.
With's Skip's permission, I'm going to start posting aspects of obscure, involved textual criticism without the slightest regard to their applicability or level of interest insofar as CPS is concerned. See how you bastards like it.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:09 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:06 pm
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:
Uncle wrote:
Hmphf.
With's Skip's permission, I'm going to start posting aspects of obscure, involved textual criticism without the slightest regard to their applicability or level of interest insofar as CPS is concerned. See how you bastards like it.
Skip said s'ok. I concur. You might want to check with Pepik, but I say go bananas.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Stephen Greenblatt's contention of Richard Greene being the inspiration for Sir John Falstaff is compelling but not entirely convincing. What really surprised me was that Greenblatt was not the first scholar to proffer the notion.It's been around since 1930 at the latest. Greene is still a less than ideal candidate, I'd say. He was neither elderly or obese. John Shakespeare, the poet's own father, has always struck me as an underwhelmingly obvious choice. What did you make of all of Greenblatt's postulations Will in the World?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Skip wrote:
Del wrote:
Uncle wrote:
Hmphf.
Yer welcome.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain