THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Kerdy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 pm

I have been having a "nice" back and forth with some lady on FB about the Catholic Church. She tossed out all of these Jewish holy days and said because the Catholic Church didn't follow them it was wrong, Christmas is a pagan holiday, the Pope is the anti-Christ (666 which is actually the sign of the beast), Catholics don't read the Bible and only rely on what the Pope says only, and a bunch of other stuff. She then said let's stick to the facts of Scripture and tossed out a bunch of random scripture verses without explanation (likely because she didn't have one) which didn't mean anything, and so on. After attempting to explain a few things all I got in return was more hate compounded on the hate she already obviously had. I gave up on her. There were so many holes in what she was saying it would have taken me until summer to clear them all up. I finally just recommended a book, provided her the scripture where Jesus told us to love one another, and suggested she actually learn how to study the scriptures.

Some people...
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 pm
I have been having a "nice" back and forth with some lady on FB about the Catholic Church. She tossed out all of these Jewish holy days and said because the Catholic Church didn't follow them it was wrong, Christmas is a pagan holiday, the Pope is the anti-Christ (666 which is actually the sign of the beast), Catholics don't read the Bible and only rely on what the Pope says only, and a bunch of other stuff. She then said let's stick to the facts of Scripture and tossed out a bunch of random scripture verses without explanation (likely because she didn't have one) which didn't mean anything, and so on. After attempting to explain a few things all I got in return was more hate compounded on the hate she already obviously had. I gave up on her. There were so many holes in what she was saying it would have taken me until summer to clear them all up. I finally just recommended a book, provided her the scripture where Jesus told us to love one another, and suggested she actually learn how to study the scriptures.

Some people...
Yes, they're out there, alright. They're around here, too.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Kerdy wrote:

Some people...
You are in a delightful position to talk with someone like this. You were a Bible-thumpin', Catholic-hatin' zealot in your own day.

All the same, it is not worth your time to waste on some internet conversations if the other person has no desire to find the truth. Don't feed the trolls!

Christmas is a pagan holiday? Seriously? Which pagan god does she think we are confusing our holiday with?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Kerdy wrote:

Some people...
Hey, Kerdy.

Hope you’re good.

Clandestinely find out her birthday and send her some Sherry’s Berries with a teddie bear and whole nine yards.

From - anonymous.

Can’t miss.

Now. Come around more, dork.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:05 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:47 pm
http://stmchapelhill.org/welcome
The Sacrament [of Reconciliation] is celebrated on Saturday from 3:45-4:45 PM in the church.

Saturday: 5:15 p.m. Vigil Mass
I drove out to visit this afternoon. I’ll need to look at the route again. Mr. “Smart Phone” sure had a lot of U-turns in the direct route option.

I had the dogs so I didn’t enter the chapel.

Between the Church and the school, I saw a very nice stone arch over Our Lady. Something was going on. Lots of car everywhere. Closer to the school it lightened up. Parked down at the low traffic area and walked the pups over on the far side of the wooded line and up the hill to the arch.

I was met with the simplistic elegance most loved. Our Lady treading the serpent. All in ‘white’ with her hands out, palms up, yet low.

They had a small seating bench and closer in, steps hewn for a kneeler.

Spend some time there. Was mad at myself that I forgot my pocket rosary, Had to use the thumb nail to knuckle crease in the fingers method. It works, but. Come on. Anyway.

There was an obvious mulch path. I ventured. It’s the Stations of the Cross and I’m telling you; the Icons they have posted along the path there are some serious Liturigal buisness.

Approaching from the side from the path, each looks the standard Bird House Placquard. But the Icons under the bird house eves are classic Latin Rite Icons.

I will go back. And maybe a discrete pic or 2.

Pax
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:35 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:05 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:47 pm
http://stmchapelhill.org/welcome
The Sacrament [of Reconciliation] is celebrated on Saturday from 3:45-4:45 PM in the church.

Saturday: 5:15 p.m. Vigil Mass
I drove out to visit this afternoon. I’ll need to look at the route again. Mr. “Smart Phone” sure had a lot of U-turns in the direct route option.

I had the dogs so I didn’t enter the chapel.

Between the Church and the school, I saw a very nice stone arch over Our Lady. Something was going on. Lots of car everywhere. Closer to the school it lightened up. Parked down at the low traffic area and walked the pups over on the far side of the wooded line and up the hill to the arch.

I was met with the simplistic elegance most loved. Our Lady treading the serpent. All in ‘white’ with her hands out, palms up, yet low.

They had a small seating bench and closer in, steps hewn for a kneeler.

Spend some time there. Was mad at myself that I forgot my pocket rosary, Had to use the thumb nail to knuckle crease in the fingers method. It works, but. Come on. Anyway.

There was an obvious mulch path. I ventured. It’s the Stations of the Cross and I’m telling you; the Icons they have posted along the path there are some serious Liturigal buisness.

Approaching from the side from the path, each looks the standard Bird House Placquard. But the Icons under the bird house eves are classic Latin Rite Icons.

I will go back. And maybe a discrete pic or 2.

Pax
Good stuff, there.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 am

Del wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:58 pm
Christmas is a pagan holiday? Seriously? Which pagan god does she think we are confusing our holiday with?
Sometimes you'll get the whole "Jesus is just a copy of Mithra", along with the whole spiel about Mithra's virgin birth on December 25. Don't hear that one as much anymore.

Today's skeptics are less interested in competing myths and usually just default to "The Solstice". Or maybe Saturnalia if they've heard about it.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 am

+JMJ+

Participating in the March for Life? There’s an indulgence for that.
Crowds at the March for Life in Washington, D.C., Jan. 27, 2017. (Credit: Jeff Bruno/CNA.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Catholics participating in the 45th annual March for Life in Washington, D.C., Jan. 19 will be able to receive a plenary indulgence for doing so, the local Church has announced.

“In virtue of the authority granted by our Holy Father, Pope Francis… a plenary indulgence can be obtained under the usual conditions…by the Christian faithful who are truly penitential and compelled by charity, if they take part in the sacred celebrations, along with the great assembly of people, throughout the whole course of the annual event that is called ‘March for Life,’” announced a Dec. 20 letter from the Archdiocese of Washington and the Diocese of Arlington.

The document was signed by Cardinal Donald Wuerl of Washington and Bishop Michael Burbidge of Arlington, who together encouraged their brother bishops with the hope “that you will share this information with those entrusted to your pastoral care.”

Individuals who wish to obtain the plenary indulgence must engage in the events hosted by the March for Life in Washington, D.C.: The youth rally, Mass at Capital One Area, the adult and family rally at St. Matthews Cathedral, or the Prayer Vigil for Life at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

[…]

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm

wosbald wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 am
+JMJ+

Crowds at the March for Life in Washington, D.C., Jan. 27, 2017. (Credit: Jeff Bruno/CNA.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Catholics participating in the 45th annual March for Life in Washington, D.C., Jan. 19 will be able to receive a plenary indulgence for doing so, the local Church has announced.

“In virtue of the authority granted by our Holy Father, Pope Francis… a plenary indulgence can be obtained under the usual conditions…by the Christian faithful who are truly penitential and compelled by charity, if they take part in the sacred celebrations, along with the great assembly of people, throughout the whole course of the annual event that is called ‘March for Life,’” announced a Dec. 20 letter from the Archdiocese of Washington and the Diocese of Arlington.

The document was signed by Cardinal Donald Wuerl of Washington and Bishop Michael Burbidge of Arlington, who together encouraged their brother bishops with the hope “that you will share this information with those entrusted to your pastoral care.”

Individuals who wish to obtain the plenary indulgence must engage in the events hosted by the March for Life in Washington, D.C.: The youth rally, Mass at Capital One Area, the adult and family rally at St. Matthews Cathedral, or the Prayer Vigil for Life at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

[…]
Just like a pilgrimage to a holy place.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:33 pm

+JMJ+

Be intentional about silence during Mass, Pope Francis says
Pope Francis speaks during the General Audience Jan. 10, 2018. Credit: Daniel Ibáñez/CNA.

Vatican City, Jan 10, 2018 / 04:00 am (CNA/EWTN News.- Pope Francis said Wednesday that moments of silence in the Mass should be intentional times of prayer, recollection and communion with God, rather than being viewed as times to just be quiet or not speak.

“Silence is not reduced to the absence of words, but (is) the availability to listen to other voices: that of our heart and, above all, the voice of the Holy Spirit,” the Pope said Jan. 10.

In silence, then, we discover “the importance of listening to our soul and then opening it to the Lord.”

[…]

This prayer, which varies according to the day and time in which the Mass is being said, begins with the priest saying to the people, “Let us pray,” followed by a brief silence.

“I strongly recommend priests observe this moment of silence, which without wanting to, we risk neglecting,” Francis noted.

In this moment the congregation is exhorted to come together in silence, to become aware of the presence of God, and to bring out, “each one in his own heart, the personal intentions with which he participates in Mass.”

“Perhaps we come from days of toil, of joy, of sorrow, and we want to tell the Lord, to invoke his help, to ask that he be near us; we have family members and friends who are ill or who are going through difficult trials; we wish to entrust to God the fate of the Church and the world.”

[…]

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm

wosbald wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:33 pm
+JMJ+

Pope Francis speaks during the General Audience Jan. 10, 2018. Credit: Daniel Ibáñez/CNA.

Vatican City, Jan 10, 2018 / 04:00 am (CNA/EWTN News.- Pope Francis said Wednesday that moments of silence in the Mass should be intentional times of prayer, recollection and communion with God, rather than being viewed as times to just be quiet or not speak.

“Silence is not reduced to the absence of words, but (is) the availability to listen to other voices: that of our heart and, above all, the voice of the Holy Spirit,” the Pope said Jan. 10.

In silence, then, we discover “the importance of listening to our soul and then opening it to the Lord.”

[…]

This prayer, which varies according to the day and time in which the Mass is being said, begins with the priest saying to the people, “Let us pray,” followed by a brief silence.

“I strongly recommend priests observe this moment of silence, which without wanting to, we risk neglecting,” Francis noted.

In this moment the congregation is exhorted to come together in silence, to become aware of the presence of God, and to bring out, “each one in his own heart, the personal intentions with which he participates in Mass.”

“Perhaps we come from days of toil, of joy, of sorrow, and we want to tell the Lord, to invoke his help, to ask that he be near us; we have family members and friends who are ill or who are going through difficult trials; we wish to entrust to God the fate of the Church and the world.”

[…]
I can't argue, but that seems incredibly obvious. Did he derp?

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]
I'm planning on the San Francisco Walk for Life this year, especially since I missed last year on account of my starboard carotid getting whittled on.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 am

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 pm
Del wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]
I'm planning on the San Francisco Walk for Life this year, especially since I missed last year on account of my starboard carotid getting whittled on.
I have a young friend who is a professional pro-life activist. He visits and speaks at vigils all over North America.

He says that the West Coast Walk for Life is the best-kept secret in the pro-life movement. Everyone wants to join the hundreds of thousands in Washington DC for the March For Life.... in frigid cold, blizzards, and worse.

The San Francisco Walk is warm and comfy. Tens of thousands of pro-lifers. Added point of interest: There are dozens of plenty of whacky old hippies who show up just protest whatever, like a hobby.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]
Obvious.... yes. But the importance of silence has been lost. In much of the world (including America), worship is measured by how "entertaining" it can be.

We all know priests who rush through the silence, as if they are afraid we will get bored.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]
Obvious.... yes. But the importance of silence has been lost. In much of the world (including America), worship is measured by how "entertaining" it can be.

We all know priests who rush through the silence, as if they are afraid we will get bored.
Heh. You went back and read the article before I replied.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 am

+JMJ+

Bomb threats issued against Pope Francis ahead of Chile visit
Several Catholic churches were attacked in Santiago de Chile during the early hours of Friday, days before Pope Francis is scheduled to arrive to the Latin American country. These pamphlets were left behind in two of the churches attacked, reading, among other things, “Pope Francis, the next bombs will be in your cassock.” (Credit: Twitter, Claudio Mancilla.)

ROME - Just days before Pope Francis’s scheduled arrival in Santiago on Monday, three incendiary devices exploded in three Catholic churches in Chile’s capital, while a fourth was defused. In one location, the unknown perpetrators left a direct threat to the Latin American pontiff: “The next bombs will be in your cassock.”

Chilean President Michelle Bachelet, who’ll welcome Francis at the airport on Monday, said Friday that the events which took place on the night of Jan. 11-12 are “very strange, because it’s not something that one can identify [with] one specific group.”

Pope Francis will be in Chile Jan. 15-18, before heading to Peru until Jan. 21.

[…]

Protests already were expected during Pope Francis’s visit, most of them centered on the Church’s response to the clerical sexual abuse crisis, but this is the first hint of potential violence.

[…]

The full message of the pamphlet, made available by Chilean authorities, translates to: “We will never submit to the dominion you [plural] want to exercise over our bodies, our ideas and actions, because we were born free to chose the path we want to take. Against every religious man and woman and against every preacher.”

“Bodies free, impure and wild. We attack with the combative fire-making your disgusting moral explosion,” the message reads.

“Freedom to all the political prisoners of the world, Wallmapu [indigenous territory] free, autonomy and resistance,” the message says towards the end. “Pope Francis, the next bombs will be in your cassock.”

[…]

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 am

I've not once ever been to a Catholic Mass. Ever.

I stumbled upon an old Catholic Church here on The Moonbase today that I'd be somewhat interested in visiting.

I'm debating attending because I'm hearing all of the Orthodox views on Roman Catholicism in my head. (Protestant views too)

Ima gonna check it out nonetheless.

That is all.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:07 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 am
I've not once ever been to a Catholic Mass. Ever.

I stumbled upon an old Catholic Church here on The Moonbase today that I'd be somewhat interested in visiting.

I'm debating attending because I'm hearing all of the Orthodox views on Roman Catholicism in my head. (Protestant views too)

Ima gonna check it out nonetheless.

That is all.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 am

+JMJ+

Vatican designates northern Virginia church as a basilica
The interior of St. Mary's Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia. The church was named a minor basilica on Sunday. (Credit: Albert Herring/Wikimedia Commons.)

ALEXANDRIA, Virginia - The Vatican has designated a historic Catholic church in northern Virginia as a basilica.

Arlington Bishop Michael Burbidge announced the designation during services Sunday at St. Mary Catholic Church in Old Town Alexandria, which traces its history back to George Washington.

“It is an extraordinary honor to announce that the Holy See has designated St. Mary’s in Old Town to be the newest basilica in the United States. This historic announcement recognizes the important role St. Mary’s has played in the Diocese, the City of Alexandria and even the very founding of our country,” the bishop said.

[…]

According to the diocesan newspaper, [the basilica's pastor, Fr.] Hathaway said the parish is looking for ways to communicate “our significant history and contribution to Catholicism in the commonwealth and beyond through printed guides and other means.”

The church was founded in 1795 and is the first Catholic parish in Virginia. Washington made the first financial contribution to the parish.

It is the 84th basilica in the U.S. and the second in Virginia, joining the Basilica of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception in Norfolk.

Churches receive designation as a basilica for architectural beauty, historical significance, or renown as a place of public worship.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:18 pm

I'd like to see this photography exhibition:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/s ... hotography
but of course, it's in Ireland.