Filtered or Unfiltered...Yes or no

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Filtered or Unfiltered...Yes or no

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Another thread got me to wondering and assessing my pipe purchases. Granted I don't buy dozens of pipes but when I am looking, if I see the pipe is made for a filter, I move on.

I have owned 4 pipes with filters...yup I was hoodwinked into 3 of them and the 4th was my first filter pipe and it is the one the started me down the filterless path. The first was a Sav with the option of a filter or a balsa stick filler...I smoked that pipe 5 times and decided it was a pain to clean and I didn't want a filter or stick and it went down the road. The others were turned around when I realized they were filter pipes, and down the road.

If I am looking at a pipe in a flyer or on line and it mentions filter, I move on to something else. I am fine with a regular pipe and I don't mess with filters. I feel the same about stingers, but I just pull them out and smoke the pipe anyway. I guess if I saw a pipe that was advertised with a stinger, I would quit looking there and move on.

I get the idea of a filter and somewhat of a stinger...I just don't like em and I avoid them in my pipe purchases.

So hows about it....filter or no & stinger or no?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: Filtered or Unfiltered...Yes or no

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 pm
Another thread got me to wondering and assessing my pipe purchases. Granted I don't buy dozens of pipes but when I am looking, if I see the pipe is made for a filter, I move on.

I have owned 4 pipes with filters...yup I was hoodwinked into 3 of them and the 4th was my first filter pipe and it is the one the started me down the filterless path. The first was a Sav with the option of a filter or a balsa stick filler...I smoked that pipe 5 times and decided it was a pain to clean and I didn't want a filter or stick and it went down the road. The others were turned around when I realized they were filter pipes, and down the road.

If I am looking at a pipe in a flyer or on line and it mentions filter, I move on to something else. I am fine with a regular pipe and I don't mess with filters. I feel the same about stingers, but I just pull them out and smoke the pipe anyway. I guess if I saw a pipe that was advertised with a stinger, I would quit looking there and move on.

I get the idea of a filter and somewhat of a stinger...I just don't like em and I avoid them in my pipe purchases.

So hows about it....filter or no & stinger or no?
ah'yup
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 pm

I just smoke them without the filter.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Cleon wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 pm
This.

An filtered pipe without the filter is pleasantly open in its draw. Some of my favorite pipes are engineered for filters, but remain empty.

I have a small prescription bottle that holds my stingers. I'm much happier with them there than in my pipes.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:00 pm

I heard horror stories about cleaning a pipe that was fitted for a filter, but a filter was not used. Are you telling me that this is not a thing?
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:00 pm
I heard horror stories about cleaning a pipe that was fitted for a filter, but a filter was not used. Are you telling me that this is not a thing?
Not a thing. Especially if you don't mind dirty pipes.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
No. Just take the stem off and double a pipe cleaner. Pow. You have a reverse calabash.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:11 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 pm
Cleon wrote:
This.

An filtered pipe without the filter is pleasantly open in its draw. Some of my favorite pipes are engineered for filters, but remain empty.

I have a small prescription bottle that holds my stingers. I'm much happier with them there than in my pipes.
+me
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:12 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:06 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
No. Just take the stem off and double a pipe cleaner. Pow. You have a reverse calabash.
I've never cleaned my own, but q-tips worked well on a restoration for me.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 pm

I am not a dedicated pipe scrubber, like some, but I had heard tales of old tar being missed in the cleaning process and of split stems from weakend material and tar build up and such like that. This new enlightenment might cause me to pause before kicking one to the curb that snuck in. I have only purchased six or seven commercial/new pipes in my life anyway, so its likely I would still shy away on a new purchase.

Thanks for the info and tips.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Unless I really like the shape, or it's a super deal, I pass on pipes made for filters. It's not a huge deal breaker, but I'd rather not have that empty chamber in the airway. We hear so much about precision engineered airways and an empty filter chamber just tosses the whole concept out the window. I'm interested in 'reverse calabash' pipes (and have designs in my sketchbook that I'll make some day), but I don't think the empty filter chamber is large enough to achieve the effect.

I recently bought a P. Piazzolla pipe from SmokingPipes.com and it has a stinger. I have a few others that I bought early in my pipe smoking career that I pulled the stingers out of just because everyone said that was the thing to do. I've left it in this new pipe to see how I like it. It smokes OK so I'll leave it for now. I don't clean my pipes much, but if/when this thing get's fouled I'll probably yank it out rather than try to clean it.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:49 pm
I do love a good pipe thread.
+1
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 pm
Cleon wrote:
This.
Agreed. I've never once been accused of being a pipe scrubber, but I do run a pipe cleaner or three down the stem and shank after every bowl and have never had any kind of tar buildup in that empty space. I've also never had an issue with passing the cleaners smoothly, which is invariably the next question.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Cleon wrote:I just smoke them without the filter.
+1

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Rest easy, good sir.

Cobs and all Savenelli filter pipe have a zero filter to pipe utility suck factor.

Other filtered or stingers pipes, I cannot speak to.

However, JimVH’s stingers in a jar is some serious CSI material.

Man. I just love that guy.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Filter-less.
There are a few 'nellis not drilled for filters---Hercules, unfinished seconds, and now the Tre series. I find the Tre very tempting.

One of my first pipes was a Hardcastle Sandhewn. The sales clerk at Benederet's, who sold me the pipe, took a pair of pliers and pulled the stinger off admonishing "You'll want none of this, young man!" As he unceremoniously launched the offensive devise into a wastepaper basket,

When I got back into pipes a few years back I bought some 'nellis with that plumbing pipe to take the place of a filter but I worried about punching it lose with a pipe cleaner when cleaning.
Those were sent on down the road long ago.

I do like Peterson Systems, but those have more of a trap rather than a filter.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

wsblevins
Usher
Usher

Post by wsblevins » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 pm

Currently, the only filter pipes that I own are cobs and I do use a filter in them. At one point I owned some Savinelli balsa filter pipes and enjoyed them. As for the pipes such as Grabow that use a paper filter, I’ll pass.
“This country needs an enema.”

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:04 pm

I got cobs and Grabows. I don't use filters in them.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 am

Ok since including the stingers into this and hearing that Jim saves them in a jar and Fred has left one in place...I will share...more :) ...Couple of years ago, we had a pipe club that met regular like, they have since fallen apart, but I digress. Anyway I was going to attend the monthly gathering that evening. About 2PM I remembered that my pipe bag with pipes and tobacco and stuff was sitting on the table next to the door at home, 50 min away. So I stopped at a small B&M on the way to the gathering and picked up some tobacco and an inexpensive basket pipe. Later as I was walking to the gathering, I was looking at the pipe and took the stem out for the first time...there it was, a stinger...I stopped at a trash bin on the street and wedged the stinger between the iron bars of the can holder and pulled the stinger out of the stem. I was going to throw it in my pocket and keep it, but it wouldn't come out from between the bars, it was stuck...so I left it...might still be there.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:33 pm

One of my best smoker's is a Savinelli Duca Carlo that was made for a filter. I didn't realize it when I bought it. I tried the balsa filters for a handful of smokes and decided they were worthless. Since then, I've always smoked it sans filter. When shopping for pipes, I pass if it is a filtered pipe. I've never owned a stinger pipe nor am I in the market for one.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne