Goodbye Apple. Welcome back BlackBerry

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Goodbye Apple. Welcome back BlackBerr

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 pm

infidel wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:00 pm
Cleon wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:55 pm
Jocose wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 pm
Cleon wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm
Jocose wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am
Ive been an Apple user since the iPhone 3G days. I still have the original 3G phone somewhere.

I'm considering going Android.

EDIT: Jim's reviews on Android kinda has me worried tho......
See, that's the thing. With Apple you are talking about one integrated, closed loop. The phone is the software. They have you.

With Android, you have multiple choices for hardware.
How's the music on Android? Can I get over and move away from iTunes ok?
Don't know. I don't care about music that much. Heresy?
Samsung. Rips your iTunes library right apart.
You geezers still download music? :confused:
I never have, not since the iPhone first generation. However, I had put my family's entire music collection into iTunes. It was nice to get it back.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Re: Goodbye Apple. Welcome back BlackBerry

Post by Skip » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Cleon wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 pm
Cleon wrote:
Skip wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 pm
Meh. iCloud, iTunes, iPad, iPhone ... the integration works for me. I'm sticking with Apple.
What's it like to be rich?

J/K. I'm always looking for value. Android is that. Apple just isn't worth the squeeze to my wallet.
Being able to write equipment off has an impact on it's affordability. Also, building your business around technology (not discounting Skips artistry here, but the tech is important) elevates function and reliability over cost.
I'm just talking about Joe Schmoe. Skips a pro. I see the value in building a premium system and premium cost if it will give you a good return and for him it does. Industry standards play a part too.I just can't justify it as a casual user.

Now, let me get back to my .dwg that is taking FOREVER to regen on a system that was built to handle it. Purge, audit, save-as, and pay fees to Autodesk (cause everyone else that I work with does too). :lol:
I draw the line at Macs. I owned a couple in the 90s, but the PC marketplace caught up with them and I had a bad experience with my wife's MacBook. Apple was smart enough to get their apps over to Windows, so my Apple iProducts integrate well with my desktop. But yeah, the iPad is definitely a business expense, and I cover the higher-capability iPhone (still on a 7s, btw) as a photography biz expense.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Cleon wrote:
Now, let me get back to my .dwg that is taking FOREVER to regen on a system that was built to handle it. Purge, audit, save-as, and pay fees to Autodesk (cause everyone else that I work with does too). :lol:
I'm still running AutoCad 2007, but on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 wih Windows 10 Pro. There are a few glitches but by and large, this little 'tablet' is impressive! Sometime this year, I reckon I'll switch to the new subscription-based ACad, but it will be done reluctantly. We've already migrated to Office 365 and use cloud storage so I see the benefits of subscription-based software and remote storage, but I'm old fashioned and prefer the actual ownership of an optical disc and a server running in the closet. (Yes, I know companies still claimed ownership of software even when it was on a disc.) I still take a peculiar pride in my shelves of old fashioned paper books over the 'ease of use' of a Kindle.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Skip wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:35 pm
Cleon wrote:
FredS wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Skip wrote:
Meh. iCloud, iTunes, iPad, iPhone ... the integration works for me. I'm sticking with Apple.

J/K. I'm always looking for value. Android is that. Apple just isn't worth the squeeze to my wallet.
Being able to write equipment off has an impact on it's affordability. Also, building your business around technology (not discounting Skips artistry here, but the tech is important) elevates function and reliability over cost.
I'm just talking about Joe Schmoe. Skips a pro. I see the value in building a premium system and premium cost if it will give you a good return and for him it does. Industry standards play a part too.I just can't justify it as a casual user.

I draw the line at Macs. I owned a couple in the 90s, but the PC marketplace caught up with them and I had a bad experience with my wife's MacBook. Apple was smart enough to get their apps over to Windows, so my Apple iProducts integrate well with my desktop. But yeah, the iPad is definitely a business expense, and I cover the higher-capability iPhone (still on a 7s, btw) as a photography biz expense.
I'm blended-- when I got married in 2016 we got a PC. I had migrated to Mac and Apple items. I had an iPhone-- before that it was the Samsung pocketPC (yes--- with extendable antenna):

I went from iPhone (gosh-- what was it???) to the iPhone 4s to the iPhone 6s. I saw this X and 8 release and shook my head. I know a few people who dropped the 1200 for an X and that's just not me. That Samsung Galaxy commercial with the fellow hyped up on the ipone and then over the years goes with his girlfriend's Samsung--- I feel like that's my next step. Affordability really matters-- and it'll be a shock to me since I've been Apple centric but there has to be an affordability factor.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 pm
Skip wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:35 pm
Cleon wrote:
FredS wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Skip wrote:

I'm blended-- when I got married in 2016 we got a PC. I had migrated to Mac and Apple items. I had an iPhone-- before that it was the Samsung pocketPC (yes--- with extendable antenna):

I went from iPhone (gosh-- what was it???) to the iPhone 4s to the iPhone 6s. I saw this X and 8 release and shook my head. I know a few people who dropped the 1200 for an X and that's just not me. That Samsung Galaxy commercial with the fellow hyped up on the ipone and then over the years goes with his girlfriend's Samsung--- I feel like that's my next step. Affordability really matters-- and it'll be a shock to me since I've been Apple centric but there has to be an affordability factor.
No, there doesn't. I'm using the Note 8.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm

iPhone 4S
Original battery!

Keeps on truckin’.

Don’t use it much.
99% of my non-iMac desktop digital work is done on my iPad, not my phone.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am

It just occurred to me that, according to the thread title, we could be talking about pie and not communication devices. :dancingpie:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 am

+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am
It just occurred to me that, according to the thread title, we could be talking about pie and not communication devices. :dancingpie:
Or

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:14 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 am
+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am
Or

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:14 am
The Apple iPie Cheddar+. I'd buy it.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:47 pm

A funny (and truthful) statement taken from an article I recently read about phones:
nobody designs a silky smooth, naked-in-a-pile-of-satin-sheets-and-coated-with-baby-oil interface like Apple.
► Show Spoiler

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:05 pm

Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Ive been an Apple user since the iPhone 3G days. I still have the original 3G phone somewhere.

See, that's the thing. With Apple you are talking about one integrated, closed loop. The phone is the software. They have you.

?

How can you not care about music?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:44 am

I'm all over the place on this one. For work and personal use on the couch, I always use a MacBook, as they have far surpassed anything (in my eyes) Windows computers have done at the same price point (laptop wise). For pleasure, whether that is gaming, music, etc., I use a custom built Windows system. As for my phone, I use a Google Nexus 4, which is Android, but I have used iPhones in the past and do like them. I am in need of a new phone, as mine keeps crashing, and I suspect I'll buy an Android just because I'm on a missionary budget. As a tablet, I use an iPad, and I need a new one, and they're definitely worth the expense above Android tablets.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 am

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:05 pm
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:

?

Probably doesn't care about music on the phone. I don't use my phone for music storage or playback either. There are much better devices than a phone for that.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:29 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 am
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:

?

Probably doesn't care about music on the phone. I don't use my phone for music storage or playback either. There are much better devices than a phone for that.
Music has it's place, but I am not touched by music like a lot of people are. I'm sort of that way with science too. I'd rather have silence or just general environmental background noise most of the time. I don't even listen to music when I run or workout.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:29 am
FredS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 am
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:

?

Music has it's place, but I am not touched by music like a lot of people are. I'm sort of that way with science too. I'd rather have silence or just general environmental background noise most of the time. I don't even listen to music when I run or workout.
ONE WORD:

You are crazy if you don't have music a click away on yer phone.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 am

Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:

?

Well, it would explain Christian rock.

Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch

Post by Jester » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:48 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm
iPhone 4S
Original battery!

Keeps on truckin’.

Don’t use it much.
That phone will never die. My wife gave her iphone 4 to her mother years ago and she is still using it. My wife and I have been through 3-4 phones since then.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Jester wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:48 am
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm
iPhone 4S
Original battery!

Keeps on truckin’.

Don’t use it much.
That phone will never die. My wife gave her iphone 4 to her mother years ago and she is still using it. My wife and I have been through 3-4 phones since then.
Does she know how to turn it on?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 am
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:

?

Well, it would explain Christian rock.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: