Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
plainview
Usher
Usher

Re: Pipe Tobacco Cellar, 2018

Post by plainview » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:44 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:21 pm
I have between 3 and 5 lbs and everything is pretty much burley with some combination of Virginia, perique, Latakia or dark fired leaf. Consider me a codger :D
What's your cellar's most represented burley blend?

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:29 pm

plainview wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:44 am
7formy1911 wrote:
I have between 3 and 5 lbs and everything is pretty much burley with some combination of Virginia, perique, Latakia or dark fired leaf. Consider me a codger :D
By far Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz. It’s probably 60% by weight of the total. It ages beautifully.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Prince Albert
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:46 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:29 pm
plainview wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:44 am
7formy1911 wrote:
By far Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz. It’s probably 60% by weight of the total. It ages beautifully.
That's good to know as I have a 1/2 pint jar crammed w/ it since summer 2016.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:49 pm

plainview wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 am
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 pm
Good thread. I would guess maybe 15 - 20 pounds. Tins and jars. Virginia, and Virginia-perique. No goals other than to keep buying Gawith Hoggarth, & Co Brown Flake 500 gram bricks. That does have 13% Malawi burley
Is there Lakeland essence in the Gawith Hoggarth, & Co Brown Flake? I've never tried this blend.
Oh, it is scrumptious, and no, after several 500 gram boxes, not a hint of Lakeland on it. They make a scented version of it, so be sure to get the unscented version.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/557 ... -flake-u-s
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:30 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 pm
For all of you guys with big old cellars, remember to make appropriate provisions in the event of your demise.
Great advice. I've got a plan, but need to expand it some. We've got a thread about this issue somewhere around here.
When I told the Missus about Rusty, I immediately thought about finding that thread. I really need to do some kind of inventory and pricing and set up some kind of instructions for her, especially since I'm 14 years older than her and my family has a history of dying young. Not trying to be morbid, but it's something important I need to do.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am
JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
For all of you guys with big old cellars, remember to make appropriate provisions in the event of your demise.
Great advice. I've got a plan, but need to expand it some. We've got a thread about this issue somewhere around here.
When I told the Missus about Rusty, I immediately thought about finding that thread. I really need to do some kind of inventory and pricing and set up some kind of instructions for her, especially since I'm 14 years older than her and my family has a history of dying young. Not trying to be morbid, but it's something important I need to do.
I can't find that thread. I'd like see if my ideas have changed from whatever I wrote then.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:20 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
I can't find that thread. I'd like see if my ideas have changed from whatever I wrote then.
I can't even remember who started the thread. It was probably me and I have forgotten. Doesn't bode well for my future plans.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 am
JimVH wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
I can't even remember who started the thread. It was probably me and I have forgotten. Doesn't bode well for my future plans.
When I go, my wife or kid or grandkid is going to find stuff all over the place, including tobacco and pipes. Let 'em find it, they'll figure it out. That's how I'm thinking this morning anyway.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
When I go, my wife or kid or grandkid is going to find stuff all over the place, including tobacco and pipes. Let 'em find it, they'll figure it out. That's how I'm thinking this morning anyway.
The issue I see with that kind of plan (which, unfortunately, is my current plan as well), is that some really nice pipes and tobacco will go to the wrong person or go to waste, or even worse. It makes a lot more sense to the value of the items to get them into the hands of people who will appreciate them.

Dang, this entire vortex needs to go into that other thread.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
The issue I see with that kind of plan (which, unfortunately, is my current plan as well), is that some really nice pipes and tobacco will go to the wrong person or go to waste, or even worse. It makes a lot more sense to the value of the items to get them into the hands of people who will appreciate them.

Wonder why you think they'll necessarily go into the wrong hands? I spent three bucks at an Estate sale once for a silver windcapped Peterson--a real steal. I treasure that pipe. On the other hand, you can sell it for the right price to a guy who will sand the top off it, refinish it, shankbrush it like it used to hang out in the Meatpacking District, then toss it out to dry in the Arizona sun?

The real issue, to me, anyway, is that one's heirs have a right to reasonable inheritance.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Wonder why you think they'll necessarily go into the wrong hands? I spent three bucks at an Estate sale once for a silver windcapped Peterson--a real steal. I treasure that pipe. On the other hand, you can sell it for the right price to a guy who will sand the top off it, refinish it, shankbrush it like it used to hang out in the Meatpacking District, then toss it out to dry in the Arizona sun?

The real issue, to me, anyway, is that one's heirs have a right to reasonable inheritance.
Maybe this our wake up call to pare down our pipes to a few that we really like, smoke the heck out of them with a few blends we enjoy and be done with it. That’s the direction I’m trying to head at least. Then there’s nothing left to worry about for the family.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am

I am also starting to thin the heard...not so much pipes, but other stuff. My wife has been bugging me to get our wills done. We don't have a ton of stuff or money but I have some guns, and some guitars and fishing stuff and reloading stuff and...OK I have a bunch of stuff...I am trying to get rid of the "Collection" and leave the Items I need and use and or have special meaning, and by that I don't mean, "its special because I have had it a long time" :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am
I am also starting to thin the heard...not so much pipes, but other stuff. My wife has been bugging me to get our wills done. We don't have a ton of stuff or money but I have some guns, and some guitars and fishing stuff and reloading stuff and...OK I have a bunch of stuff...I am trying to get rid of the "Collection" and leave the Items I need and use and or have special meaning, and by that I don't mean, "its special because I have had it a long time" :)
Man, get a frigging will. There's no doggone reason not to have one unless you think your kids will kill you for your inheritance. The legal nastiness involved in probating an intestate estate is one of the worst things any of us can do to our families. Nobody likes contemplating their own mortality, but making sure everything is distributed fairly and easily is part of our responsibility to those we leave behind.

Make sure you keep them updated, too. It's cheap, too--most wills are relatively uncomplex and the going rate around here is from two to five hundred dollars to have a simple will drafted.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am
Man, get a frigging will. There's no doggone reason not to have one unless you think your kids will kill you for your inheritance. The legal nastiness involved in probating an intestate estate is one of the worst things any of us can do to our families. Nobody likes contemplating their own mortality, but making sure everything is distributed fairly and easily is part of our responsibility to those we leave behind.

Make sure you keep them updated, too. It's cheap, too--most wills are relatively uncomplex and the going rate around here is from two to five hundred dollars to have a simple will drafted.
Agreed. I've helped people settle estates for over 15 years now, and not a one of them that lacked a will was pretty. Do it. Do it now.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Thank you both. I texted my wife that we should go ahead and start the process and I won't drag my feet.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm
Thank you both. I texted my wife that we should go ahead and start the process and I won't drag my feet.
Once it’s done you’ll have a weight lifted that you never knew you had.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:10 pm

I've been concerned that I was hoarding irresponsible amounts of tobacco, but I just saw the leader board at tobaccocellar.com and don't feel so badly:

Members with the largest cellars:
peckinpahhombre has 4411 containers with 677 lbs 3.6 oz
netfm has 279 containers with 240 lbs 12.4 oz
zitotczito has 1251 containers with 223 lbs 2.9 oz
ny-nate has 1427 containers with 203 lbs 4.3 oz
Catyrpelius has 1212 containers with 198 lbs 3.6 oz
Tallpuffoburley has 1098 containers with 175 lbs 13.3 oz
Smokingwolf has 405 containers with 172 lbs 15.2 oz
themroc has 1227 containers with 158 lbs 14.4 oz
DirtyHarry has 525 containers with 156 lbs 14.6 oz
beezermcd has 877 containers with 142 lbs 1.7 oz

qmechanics
Congregation
Congregation

Post by qmechanics » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Did I say between A&B and sometimes possibly C?

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:49 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:10 pm
I've been concerned that I was hoarding irresponsible amounts of tobacco, but I just saw the leader board at tobaccocellar.com and don't feel so badly:

Members with the largest cellars:
peckinpahhombre has 4411 containers with 677 lbs 3.6 oz
netfm has 279 containers with 240 lbs 12.4 oz
zitotczito has 1251 containers with 223 lbs 2.9 oz
ny-nate has 1427 containers with 203 lbs 4.3 oz
Catyrpelius has 1212 containers with 198 lbs 3.6 oz
Tallpuffoburley has 1098 containers with 175 lbs 13.3 oz
Smokingwolf has 405 containers with 172 lbs 15.2 oz
themroc has 1227 containers with 158 lbs 14.4 oz
DirtyHarry has 525 containers with 156 lbs 14.6 oz
beezermcd has 877 containers with 142 lbs 1.7 oz
HOLY CRAP!