Search for the "right" pipe

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Search for the "right" pipe

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 am

I thought I would ask the Judge's question a little differently. Some highlights from his original post...
JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 pm
Do you find that certain "quality" pipes surprisingly do not provide good smokes with some of your favorite tobaccos?

Most here probably agree that certain pipe geometries tend toward smoking certain types of tobaccos better than others. I think this issue goes a bit deeper.

I have a few pipes, made by quality manufacturers, with no obvious flaws, that disappoint me with several types of my favorite tobaccos. Historically, through trial and error, I have discovered a few tobaccos that smoke well in such a pipe.

Any arguments that this phenomenon is a myth and my taster is just off, or it has to do with bad biorhythms?
I am currently struggling with finding a pipe that works and smokes well with a new tobacco acquisition. In my desire to find some quality aromatics, I recently purchased C&D's Founding Fathers with a strong curiosity for whatever the "old school" flavoring would be. It's got a great tin note, packs well, lights well, a similarly great room note, and smokes just fine. I have smoked it in probably seven or eight different pipes trying to find one that allowed that flavoring to come through into my mouth and nose, and have been failing miserably. I even tried it in a couple tried-and-true, never-disappoint pipes, but got the same result. I may as well have been smoking air.

Of course the true issue here may be the tobacco itself, which I truly hope is not the case. But if I can't get it to sync up with a pipe, I certainly won't be buying any more.

So much akin to the good Judge's question about getting a new pipe to love his favorite tobaccos, has anyone else struggled getting a new tobacco to love their favorite pipes?
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Search for the "right" pipe

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:12 am

Have you tried a meerschaum pipe?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 am

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:12 am
Have you tried a meerschaum pipe?
I did, an older Meer apple. I am going to try it this evening in the CPS POY meer.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 am

No, this is new to me. If I don't like the tobacco after smoking it in a number of pipes, I conclude I don't like the tobacco and stop smoking it. Is there something I'm missing/not reading correctly? Why do you want to like this tobacco so much?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 am

It's not a myth at all. My best pipes find something they don't smoke well now and then. Some blends smoke better in certain pipes, but I don't know why and don't make any effort to find them. I pick the blend and pipe that calls to me at the time and take what I get. Sometimes it's a treat, sometimes it's not. The worst that can happen is that I'm smoking a pipe. If I find a blend that I'm not happy with I just move on. I've never noticed a pipe making enough of a difference to change my mind about the blend and I'm too lazy to seek the perfect pair.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:09 am

When I re-started my pipe smoking about 11 years ago, I had 3 pipes and lots of tobaccos to try. But more pipes found their way into my collection and I have tried lots of tobaccos so it got to be a larger project to pair a pipe and tobacco. So I kind of follow the same path as Jim and Hugo if a tobacco doesn't suit me after a few smokes in a few pipes, its on to something else. I may re-visit the tobacco at a later date. I tried to keep my pipes dedicated to a type of blend, but then I would want to smoke that pipe and that tobacco...oh wait that isn't what that pipe is dedicated to...and down went the system and now I grab the pipe that suites me and smoke whatever.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 am

Mr. Piper's advice might apply here also.
Narrow it down to a couple of choice pipes and then vary the packing density.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 am
No, this is new to me. If I don't like the tobacco after smoking it in a number of pipes, I conclude I don't like the tobacco and stop smoking it. Is there something I'm missing/not reading correctly?
Nope. You pretty much nailed it. That's what is happening here, I'm trying to give this tobacco a chance. Hence the various pipe attempts.
hugodrax wrote:
Why do you want to like this tobacco so much?
I'm a fairly open book so I was initially surprised by your question. But then I realized I don't really history geek-out on CPS like I do in real life. You may get annoyed by me now, but you have no idea how annoyed you would be in real life. All that to say, when I read the tin description, I pretty much went crazy to buy it.

C&D Founding Fathers: A delightful aromatic infused with the flavor of an exotic fruit originally from the middle East that was a particular favorite in the 18th Century and found growing on the grounds of Mt. Vernon, Monticello, and around the homes of our Founding Fathers.

Being able to enjoy pipe tobacco AND something from our past would be so cool. So I really don't want to give up on this. But trust me, if I can't enjoy this after another 4 or 5 bowls, it's gonna go the way of the dodo bird.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm
hugodrax wrote:
No, this is new to me. If I don't like the tobacco after smoking it in a number of pipes, I conclude I don't like the tobacco and stop smoking it. Is there something I'm missing/not reading correctly?
Nope. You pretty much nailed it. That's what is happening here, I'm trying to give this tobacco a chance. Hence the various pipe attempts.
hugodrax wrote:
I'm a fairly open book so I was initially surprised by your question. But then I realized I don't really history geek-out on CPS like I do in real life. You may get annoyed by me now, but you have no idea how annoyed you would be in real life. All that to say, when I read the tin description, I pretty much went crazy to buy it.

C&D Founding Fathers: A delightful aromatic infused with the flavor of an exotic fruit originally from the middle East that was a particular favorite in the 18th Century and found growing on the grounds of Mt. Vernon, Monticello, and around the homes of our Founding Fathers.

Being able to enjoy pipe tobacco AND something from our past would be so cool. So I really don't want to give up on this. But trust me, if I can't enjoy this after another 4 or 5 bowls, it's gonna go the way of the dodo bird.
Oh, man, do I get that. You have no idea what an omnivorous history geek I am. And, like everybody else, if the name triggers something, I want to like it.

Now I have to try it, even though I know you don't like it. My father is a horticulturist by trade and we've spent years upon years recreating Jeffersonian gardens on the homestead. What is the essence, out of curiosity? Jasmine leaps to mind, but wouldn't go with tobacco

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Isn't the perfect pipe like the holy grail. ... a myth ... a legend ... definable by each treasure hunter?!

Sent via telegraph

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Search for the

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 pm
Isn't the perfect pipe like the holy grail. ... a myth ... a legend ... definable by each treasure hunter?!

Sent via telegraph
I don't know. I have a Masta from the twenties, a sandblasted bulldog, three quarters putty...that thing makes every tobacco it eats taste like the best thing I've ever smoked.

I hope everybody has one magic pipe like that.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:02 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:51 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Oh, man, do I get that. You have no idea what an omnivorous history geek I am. And, like everybody else, if the name triggers something, I want to like it.

Now I have to try it, even though I know you don't like it. My father is a horticulturist by trade and we've spent years upon years recreating Jeffersonian gardens on the homestead. What is the essence, out of curiosity? Jasmine leaps to mind, but wouldn't go with tobacco
In my profession it's what we call.M A R K E T I N G. It goes like this, "hey Zeke, this ol' batch over here stinks. Smells like rotten pears or somethin'. Want me ta toss it?" Zeke answers, "Well NO idiot. That's the batch that all them chickens got in to. Its just a little barn aroma. Call over to the marketing people and tell em we've got some one of a kind stuff over here we need to unload and we think we have enough for about 200 tins so write it up as a limited edition or some such hogwash." Next thing you know your smoking tobacco and chicken litter at $50 /lb. And can't figure out why you dont like it!

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 pm

MrPiper wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:02 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:51 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

In my profession it's what we call.M A R K E T I N G. It goes like this, "hey Zeke, this ol' batch over here stinks. Smells like rotten pears or somethin'. Want me ta toss it?" Zeke answers, "Well NO idiot. That's the batch that all them chickens got in to. Its just a little barn aroma. Call over to the marketing people and tell em we've got some one of a kind stuff over here we need to unload and we think we have enough for about 200 tins so write it up as a limited edition or some such hogwash." Next thing you know your smoking tobacco and chicken litter at $50 /lb. And can't figure out why you dont like it!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm also college certified in Business Psychology, so yes, I'm perfectly aware of Marketing. Fascinated with it daily, to be honest. But I do have to say C&D is a little more interested in their backstories than your normal snake oil salesman.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:11 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 pm
But I do have to say C&D is a little more interested in their backstories than your normal snake oil salesman.
After having slept on it, I realize what I meant to say was... I HOPE C&D is more interested. I could just be grasping at air though.

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:11 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 pm
But I do have to say C&D is a little more interested in their backstories than your normal snake oil salesman.
After having slept on it, I realize what I meant to say was... I HOPE C&D is more interested. I could just be grasping at air though.
and the Director of Marketing nudges his assistant with his elbow as he whispers beneath his breath, "Just smile and wave boys... just smile and wave!" :-)