Faith in the News

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Re: Faith in the News

Post by infidel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:45 am

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:16 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:27 am

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:16 am
The death of Christianity in the U.S.
[…]

The Evangelicals’ Jesus is satanic, and those who hustle this demon are “false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve” (2 Cor. 11:13-15, NIV).

You might wonder if my condemnation is too harsh. It is not, for the Spirit of the Lord has convicted me to shout from the mountaintop how God’s precious children are being devoured by the hatred and bigotry of those who have positioned themselves as the voice of God in America.

[…]

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:01 am

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 am

Not sure where to post this, but Snoop Dogg is releasing a gospel album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=195&v=pHjunQtt-Pc
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:07 am

+JMJ+

Vatican confirms Pope to visit Geneva to mark World Council of Churches milestone
Pope Francis, center, listens to the Vatican's Lenten preacher Raniero Cantalamessa, left, at the Redemptoris Mater chapel, at the Vatican, Friday, March 2, 2018. (Credit: L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP.)

ROME – Making official what the Swiss government had already announced, the Vatican confirmed on Friday that Pope Francis will travel to Geneva, Switzerland, on June 21 to mark the 70th anniversary of the World Council of Churches in one of the traditional centers of the Protestant Reformation.

“His Holiness has in mind to visit the World Council of Churches in Geneva on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of its foundation,” Vatican spokesman Greg Burke announced on Friday in the Vatican’s daily news bulletin.

“The visit will take place Thursday, June 21, 2018,” Burke said. “The program of the trip will be published soon.”

With 348 member churches in 110 nations, the World Council of Churches (WCC), founded in 1948, is the largest umbrella group of Christian denominations in the world. It includes most Eastern Orthodox churches, the Anglican Communion, most mainline Protestant churches and several Evangelical denominations.

The Catholic Church is not a member of the WCC, although it does send observers to meetings and events.

[…]

Asked about why the Catholic Church is not a member of the WCC, Koch said that the papal office has a special responsibility as an agent of Christian unity, and it would be inappropriate to confuse that with the role of other ecumenical agencies and instruments.urch is not a member of the WCC, although it does send observers to meetings and events.

[…]

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:18 am

All these articles and no clear answers. Does Francis or does Francis not s*** in the woods?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:18 am
All these articles and no clear answers. Does Francis or does Francis not s*** in the woods?
Of course he sings in the woods. He's Francis. Nature's Pope.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 am

So Christianity is no longer the norm? Going underground will do it good
In the past few decades, some parts of the church that tend to reject the trappings of religion have tried desperately to appear “normal”. But for a generation that prizes authenticity, maybe that’s just a turn-off. Rather than being just a slightly rubbish version of the rest of the world, with slightly rubbish coffee and slightly rubbish music, maybe it needs to embrace its difference, its strangeness, its weirdness, its mystery. Christianity as a norm, gone for good? Maybe that’s good news for everyone.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:31 am

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:25 pm

+JMJ+

Sweden’s Lutherans to let Catholic parish hold Masses in Lund cathedral
Pope Francis attends an ecumenical prayer service at the Lutheran cathedral in Lund, Sweden, Oct. 31. For the first time in 500 years, Lutherans in Sweden are welcoming Catholics to celebrate Masses in the cathedral. (Credit: Paul Haring/CNS.)

For the first time in 500 years, Lutherans in Sweden are welcoming Catholics to celebrate Masses in Lund cathedral.

For the first time in 500 years, Lutherans in Sweden are welcoming Catholics to celebrate Masses in Lund cathedral. The historic cathedral, formerly the site of bitter religious feuding, has become a site of interfaith friendship since Pope Francis held a service there in 2016.

The agreement to allow Catholic Masses to be celebrated in the cathedral was announced in early April to accommodate the growing parish of St. Thomas Aquinas in Lund, which will be undergoing building renovations. Catholic services will be held there beginning in October until the renovations are complete.

“People are very excited,” said Dominican Father Johan Linden, pastor of St. Thomas Parish. “As I and my Lutheran counterparts have stressed, this is not merely a practical solution but a fruit of the Holy Father’s visit and the joint document ‘From Conflict to Communion.'”

The Catholic Diocese of Stockholm credits the church sharing to Francis’s visit, saying the pope has had a direct impact on improving Christian relationships in Sweden.

“Since the visit of Pope Francis, the ecumenical relations between Lutherans and Catholics in Lund have developed and grown stronger,” said Kristina Hellner, diocesan spokeswoman. “The parishes don’t wish to focus on what is separating them. Instead they focus on what is uniting: the Gospel, baptism, prayer and diaconal care.”

[…]

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:31 am
Hmm... all over the newscrawlers this morning:
Oh, yes. It's long been known, at least in the circles that I run in, that Alice Cooper professes Christ. He and R.C. Sproul were friends - golfing buddies. I can't imagine the conversations they had.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:02 am

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:12 am

Oh please, this dude is just a lame copycat of the Third Eagle of the Apocalypse and the Co-prophet of these End Times, William Tapley. And he's a few months late with his prediction.
infidel wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:54 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2gKOkTrZh8

Only two days left until the Great SignTM of Revelation 12. Hide your women and children!
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch

Post by Jester » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:04 am

CPS is no place to discuss theology. :lol:
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

My first thought is that our schools should encourage more teens to develop a relationship with Christ and take up pipe-smoking. -Del

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 am

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:55 am

+JMJ+

Why Israel’s independence day should not be a religious holiday
Israeli youth celebrate Yom Ha’atzmaut in Jerusalem. ‘It’s a Jewish celebration ... that really only creates space for a certain type of Jew.’ Photograph: Lior Mizrahi/Getty Images

This move turns celebrating Yom Ha’atzmut into a political act. There should be no right or wrong way to be Jewish

[…]

In this process of introspection, however, the Jewish community must also ask itself some difficult questions. This Yom Ha’atzmaut – the date in the Jewish calendar that marks Israel’s declaration of independence some 70 years ago – there’s never been more urgency to have one particular debate. Because, while Corbyn’s decision to attend the Jewdas seder dragged a conversation our community has long had in private into the spotlight, the divides it exposed in our community are nothing new. How do we navigate the relationship between Israel and Judaism in diaspora communities? A resolution is long overdue.

For many Jewish people, Yom Ha’atzmaut is a day of celebration – an annual opportunity to affirm their support to a Jewish homeland as it currently stands. For others, however, it feels exclusionary – a holiday now being enshrined in the Jewish calendar that takes religion into the arena of divisive politics, not faith. In many synagogues on Wednesday night and Thursday, guest speakers will have been invited to talk about Israel and its significance, and Israeli flags will have been pinned to the walls as a night of dancing, food and merriment ensued. The prayer for the state of Israel will be read, as it is on a weekly basis. It’s a Jewish celebration held in the same regard as Yom Hashoah (Holocaust Memorial Day), but one that really only creates space for a certain type of Jew.

It’s all well and good to say you can be critical of the state of Israel without being antisemitic – and for those on all sides of the political spectrum it’s a mantra that should be repeated. But if we ourselves can’t distinguish between our religion and what is, even if widely supported, a political ideology, I can’t help but wonder how others will be able to. A nationalistic celebration of a modern state leaves little room for nuance.

[…]

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 pm

Good article about one of our locals.

Why Jake Locker Walked Away From Football—and Why He Doesn’t Miss It
He spoke to his wife, his parents and his agent, and he came to what he considers a fairly obvious conclusion.

Sure, he loved football. But he loved his family and Jesus more.
“Look,” [Matt Hasselbeck] says. “Every coach I ever played for says these are the priorities: faith, family, football. But no one really lives that way. No one. Jake didn’t retire. He put family and faith first. This is the way I judge people now: If you don’t like Jake Locker, I don’t think I can like you.”
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:42 am

+JMJ+

US envoy says Jerusalem under Israel is ‘model for coexistence in the world’
US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman speaks during the 6th Global Forum for Combating Antisemitism conference, at the Jerusalem Convention Center, on March 19, 2017. (Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)

David Friedman says Trump's recognition of holy city as Israel's capital was meant to 'extend an olive branch to all major religions'

Jerusalem under Israeli sovereignty is a “model for coexistence” among the three major monotheistic religions, the US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman said Monday.

[…]

“When you think of the conflicts that have raged over centuries, and now you look at Jerusalem under the sovereignty of the Israeli government, how it’s been able to maintain the openness that it’s had — rather than a place of conflict, it’s actually the model for coexistence in the world,” Friedman said at an event to mark Israel’s 70th birthday held at the Menachem Begin Heritage Center.

[…]

“Most people think of Jerusalem as a place of conflict,” Friedman said at the event, which was attended by many foreign ambassadors stationed in Tel Aviv.

“The Old City of Jerusalem is all of one square kilometer, and yet it houses the most holy places for two of the three major religions and a very holy place for the third,” he went on.

“And Jerusalem over the past 51 years now has become a place like it’s never been before. It’s a place where people who want to worship at the Kotel [the Western Wall], al-Aqsa [mosque] or the Church of the Holy Sepulchre all can do so with freedom of worship, most of the time without fear of violence. And that’s a model for the world to appreciate. People don’t appreciate it enough.”

[…]

When Trump recognized Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and announced the planned relocation of the embassy there on December 6, he did not mean to “inflame those who were disappointed with his decision,” his envoy said. Rather, the president wanted to “extend an olive branch to all major religions and all worshipers, to see Jerusalem as the opportunity, the pinnacle of an opportunity, for people to live in peace.”

[…]

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:30 pm