Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22875
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 am

I am bummed.
The local big independent sporting goods has been sold to a Southern CA chain---Turner's Outdoorsman--- that sells hunting & fishing stuff. This means there will be no place in my town to purchase ski equipment (REI doesn't stock it) or even rent camping equipment, tire chains, etc... A sad day!

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8693
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 am

Skip wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 am
After the revelation that my almost-two granddaughter cracked the screen on my 65" Samsung last night (plus all the other s*** with which I've been dealing, which frankly puts a broken big-screen to shame), I decided it was long past time I simply went out drinking. One bourbon, one scotch, one beer... Kind of... one rye, one absinthe, one beer.
Hope the grand is ok. Sorry for your trouble. But, absinthe?

Anyway, i got up early this mrng to catch the partial eclipse blood blue super moon. A sip of absinthe with my coffee may have gone well, I don't know.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6062
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:16 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 am
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:52 pm
I can't find my Vice Grips, and I've looked everywhere.
They're always in the last place you look. Have you checked there?
He said he had looked everywhere.
So they are gone.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8693
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 am

The Feb/Mar issue of Garden & Gun magazine has Manual of Southern Know-How, which lists 19 items to know. I'm good for 15 of the items, including thumping a melon, fly cast into the wind, train my own gun dog, and master muscadines. The four items I can't claim are mixing a perfect bloody Mary, know when to write a thank you note, press my silver into service and make an appealing tomato aspic.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:46 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 am
The Feb/Mar issue of Garden & Gun magazine has Manual of Southern Know-How, which lists 19 items to know. I'm good for 15 of the items, including thumping a melon, fly cast into the wind, train my own gun dog, and master muscadines. The four items I can't claim are mixing a perfect bloody Mary, know when to write a thank you note, press my silver into service and make an appealing tomato aspic.
Kind of a hipster magazine there, what? I checked it out for fun. Nice pictures, but it's just an Esquire for southrons--well, what Esquire used to be, anyway.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8693
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:17 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:46 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 am
The Feb/Mar issue of Garden & Gun magazine has Manual of Southern Know-How, which lists 19 items to know. I'm good for 15 of the items, including thumping a melon, fly cast into the wind, train my own gun dog, and master muscadines. The four items I can't claim are mixing a perfect bloody Mary, know when to write a thank you note, press my silver into service and make an appealing tomato aspic.
Kind of a hipster magazine there, what? I checked it out for fun. Nice pictures, but it's just an Esquire for southrons--well, what Esquire used to be, anyway.
Heh. I bit on an ad for the inaugural issue, just based on the intriguing title, and the fact that it was/is based in Charleston SC. When it first came out there were actually a few pieces regarding gardens and guns. They almost lost me a few issues ago with a featured article on a couple of guys married to each other, living in NYC, that collect cook books. They must have had some reader feedback on that, because subsequent issues have been somewhat more relevant to their title. BTW, I've never read Esquire, but I understand that it was a good magazine 40 +/- years ago.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm

It's my birthday today and I got myself what everyone really wants on their birthday... a water pump for our SUV. At least my wallet is a lot lighter from getting rid of all that pesky money I had jammed in there.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 6758
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:22 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm
It's my birthday today and I got myself what everyone really wants on their birthday... a water pump for our SUV. At least my wallet is a lot lighter from getting rid of all that pesky money I had jammed in there.
Happy birthday!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36456
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Del » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:43 pm

I enjoyed the State of the U***n speech last night.... but it was too long by a couple of brandy Old Fashioneds.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14196
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Cleon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:43 pm
I enjoyed the State of the U***n speech last night.... but it was too long by a couple of brandy Old Fashioneds.
How many did you have to drink?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 20824
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm
It's my birthday today and I got myself what everyone really wants on their birthday... a water pump for our SUV. At least my wallet is a lot lighter from getting rid of all that pesky money I had jammed in there.
Happy birthday. Think of the relief your sciatica is feeling with that load gone from your back pocket.

My birthday history is rich with water pumps, alternators, household repairs, etc. I even had to pay someone's bail, once.

Once.
Last edited by JimVH on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

User avatar
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration
Posts: 24182
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Slightly East of Pepik
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Skip » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:06 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 am
Skip wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 am
After the revelation that my almost-two granddaughter cracked the screen on my 65" Samsung last night (plus all the other s*** with which I've been dealing, which frankly puts a broken big-screen to shame), I decided it was long past time I simply went out drinking. One bourbon, one scotch, one beer... Kind of... one rye, one absinthe, one beer.
Hope the grand is ok. Sorry for your trouble. But, absinthe?

Anyway, i got up early this mrng to catch the partial eclipse blood blue super moon. A sip of absinthe with my coffee may have gone well, I don't know.
Well, it's kind of an exaggeration. I had a sazerac to start and followed up with a 9.0 porter and a sampler of some Dogfish Head brewage with the just-off-duty waiter. Then came home and finished off most of the JD that I'd poured before deciding that I needed out of the house for a while.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Pepik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 pm

Sazerac?! We Gotta talk dude....
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3234
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm

Pepik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 pm
Sazerac?! We Gotta talk dude....
I had to Google it.
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Pepik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:30 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm
Pepik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 pm
Sazerac?! We Gotta talk dude....
I had to Google it.
No man - you don't Google it. You drink it.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:42 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Dlibbon wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm
It's my birthday today and I got myself what everyone really wants on their birthday... a water pump for our SUV. At least my wallet is a lot lighter from getting rid of all that pesky money I had jammed in there.
Happy birthday!
Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3234
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

Pepik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:30 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm
Pepik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 pm
Sazerac?! We Gotta talk dude....
I had to Google it.
No man - you don't Google it. You drink it.
Ohhhhhhhh!!!

:lol:
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:25 pm

JimVH wrote:
Dlibbon wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm
It's my birthday today and I got myself what everyone really wants on their birthday... a water pump for our SUV. At least my wallet is a lot lighter from getting rid of all that pesky money I had jammed in there.
Happy birthday. Think of the relief your sciatica is feeling with that load gone from your back pocket.

My birthday history is rich with water pumps, alternators, household repairs, etc. I even had to pay someone's bail, once.

Once.

Thanks Jim! Also I promise that bail thing will never happen again ( this year ). I owe you a solid.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36456
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Del » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:24 pm

Cleon wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:43 pm
I enjoyed the State of the U***n speech last night.... but it was too long by a couple of brandy Old Fashioneds.
How many did you have to drink?
I was celebrating, like 70% of the folks watching the speech live.

Link to a media news story about it.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22875
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 pm

I did not go to the gym today.
Maybe tomorrow.

Post Reply