Rotate the Collection

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Rotate the Collection

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am

So at what point does a pipe rotation become a pipe collection?

For the longest, I have tried to smoke through all my pipes fairly regularly, even though I smoke my favorites more often. I only have 2 or 3 pipes that I just do not look forward to smoking.

I have purchased a few pipes lately. This seems to put me over the edge as to the number of pipes I can enjoy in any kind of rotation. I think I now have 33 or 34.
I have 8 or 10 that I would be pleased to smoke most all the time.
Is it time to relegate the others to "smoke on a whim" status as opposed to "I need to smoke that pipe because I have not smoked it in a few weeks" status?

How many in your regular rotation?
How do you decide to smoke the "on a whim" pipes?

Please advise.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Re: Rotate the Collection

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:13 pm

I have approximately 10 or so pipes that I know I will probably never smoke. The reasons vary from extreme ghosting, to super rare, to deeply sentimental. Each and every one of them will be on my shelf when I die because I refuse to sell them. I used to be greatly bothered by the, "too many to use" thoughts, but that has given way to a calmed spirit of acceptance. I now know I'm a collector AND a smoker, and there's nothing wrong with being both.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 pm

With few exceptions, do what you wish is the whole of the law regarding pipe smoking. For me, the pretty girl nearly always gets the dance.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:57 pm

I usually have five or six active at any given time. I would guesstimate that it takes about three weeks for each to rotate out. The decision which pipe to bring in is purely subjective depending on mood, and sometimes, what's being talked about around here. I'd bet half of my collection gets smoked no more than once a year.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:10 pm

I have a rack that holds 27. From these I smoke. Every so often I will get the trunk out and substitute (3-4 times a year).
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:59 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:57 pm
I usually have five or six active at any given time. I would guesstimate that it takes about three weeks for each to rotate out. The decision which pipe to bring in is purely subjective depending on mood, and sometimes, what's being talked about around here. I'd bet half of my collection gets smoked no more than once a year.
This sounds about like me, but I keep them in play a little longer. I will also "Smoke In" a new addition to the pile, meaning when a new pipe is added it get a lot of use up-front...just to make it my pipe.

Additionally in the Summer time I pull them all out and wipe and "Spiff Up" the group and that usually reminds me of a couple that I havn't smoked in a long time and they get bumped into the "User group".

Right now aside from the pipes I am restoring, I only have one pipe that I haven't smoked, and that is the POY from last year...don't know why...I just haven't
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:06 am

I'm not sure my collection and rotation will ever be mutually exclusive.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:22 am

I used to have a collection, what remains I keep in a shoebox---one of my dad's briars, a father & son pair of African meerschaums, a well loved near burned out Shannon from college, a Calabash, a small clay, a cob, and a French Cherry wood. I may haul one out on occasion if the mood strikes.
In my rack rests a pair of bent apples, a pair of pots, and bulldog. This suffices for my current pipe requirements but they seldom get smoked in any rotation as I'm in the habit of giving each briar a "role" to play. One for sitting by the campfire, another for doing yard work. One for accompanying me on trips and another for walking the dog, etc...I'm not really sure how or when I fell into this habit, but it works for me. :pipe2:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Rotate the Collection

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 am

hugodrax wrote:With few exceptions, do what you wish is the whole of the law regarding pipe smoking. For me, the pretty girl nearly always gets the dance.
I like that haha! I would say for me some lend themselves better to a certain purpose, but I have a similar attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:41 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am
So at what point does a pipe rotation become a pipe collection? 2 Pipes

For the longest, I have tried to smoke through all my pipes fairly regularly, even though I smoke my favorites more often. I only have 2 or 3 pipes that I just do not look forward to smoking. I have gifted away any like these. I don't want them to be a bad influence on the good apples.

I have purchased a few pipes lately. This seems to put me over the edge as to the number of pipes I can enjoy in any kind of rotation. I think I now have 33 or 34.
I have 8 or 10 that I would be pleased to smoke most all the time.
Is it time to relegate the others to "smoke on a whim" status as opposed to "I need to smoke that pipe because I have not smoked it in a few weeks" status?

How many in your regular rotation? all of them
How do you decide to smoke the "on a whim" pipes? I pick the bakky first, then the pipe that smiles at me the largest, he wins.

Please advise. you got it
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:01 am

I don't do any kind of intentional rotation. I have maybe half a dozen pipes that I seem to enjoy most and those get smoked weekly (a few, daily). I do, however, occasionally open the pipe drawer in my tool chest and I'll usually end up pulling one out and smoking it for a while. I have thought about taking my regular pipes and putting them in the drawer and taking out some different ones and using those for a while. Then I'll usually say "nah" and close the drawer. Too much effort, I guess.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV