Texas north of Dallas

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Texas north of Dallas

Post by Thunktank » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:29 pm

I’m moving there soonish. My wife is ready, my mother-in-law is pushing and my kids are not ready at all. I’ve been toying with the idea for years. It’s time. I’m in a rut here in California and things have been changing badly for years and it’s getting much worse at a faster rate than ever. Like many other families, most of ours have left the state to greener pastures, they all moved to Texas or North Carolina and now that my step father-in-law passed away, my mother-in-law really wants to go too. There will be no family left if we stayed.

It feels a bit daunting. I also want to start a new business doing something different, not even sure what yet, but I’ll figure it out when I get there. I may do something else unusual and work for a boss for a while until I figure it out, though I’ll probably get my Texas licensing and do what I know best. Dallas is where the “OC” was 20 years ago. My wife also needs to get her law license there. She will continue her practice there. She has been doing more law work again lately.

Anyway, I hope the hunting in Texas is good!

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Texas north of Dallas

Post by JimVH » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:51 pm

Cali's loss is our gain.

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Texas will treat ya right partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gitty Up!

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:12 am

Pot isn’t legal in Texas yet. I’m gonna have to do something about that. :lol:

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:20 am

Are there any pretty forests (aka “woods”) in Texas? I haven’t seen any yet. Maybe some of you have pictures? I have seen endless landscapes of red brick houses though.

Seriously, I would like to know about the beautiful outdoors in Texas. I never “get out” when I’m there, always with extended family who doesn’t do much of that sort of thing.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:16 am

There are definitely some nice forests in some parts of Texas....

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:51 am

There are some lush forests, but not like any in CA I'm afraid. It's a very diverse state, but not like CA at all. There's some good hunting and fishing in NE part of the state.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:35 am

North Texas is an easy 2-day drive from southern Wisconsin -- and I could visit my mother, who lives at the mid-point in central Missouri!

ROAD TRIP!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 am

I wish you the best of luck, Thunk. Moving never bothered me as a kid. I do remember it upsetting my sister quite a bit. My wife and I have considered moving. If we did, only our youngest son would go with us. The rest of the boys are grown. He has only lived in Montana, and only moved once. That move was from in town to our place on the river where we are now. I doubt a move would be that big if a deal to him.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:25 am

Thunk, I'm in the process of moving back to Texas between Houston and Dallas. I have a brother just north of Dallas in Sanger and it's rolling hill country. I'm moving to a flat area with lots of trees but nothing like the forests of northern NM where I am now or VA where I used to live.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am

Texas forest

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 am

CodeMonkey wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am
Texas forest

That's a thing of beauty.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks for all the kind words. I didn’t know that so many on CPS lived there. I will be keeping my home in California, at least for a few years. Just in case I want to come back. One can purchase a heckofalot of house in TX. . . And property taxes to go with it.
CodeMonkey wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am
Texas forest

Familiar. I have such a forest near my current home too. Mostly decommissioned, but some are still working. Off shore rigs are visible from my house.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:09 am

When I got honorably discharged from the Marine Corps I was offered a job to work on off shore oil rigs in Alaska to do communication tech work. I nearly took the job, but decided my wife (who was then my girlfriend) was worth sticking around for.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:06 am

I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Flat, featureless and hot as I say. At least the area north of Dallas is, where I live.
But it will be great to have you around. Real estate is pretty hot here at the moment what with all the Californians moving in. Like the several thousand Toyota employees, to name one group, now that they just opened their massive North American headquarters here.

Yes, if you're looking for endless miles of suburbia, look no further than Northern Texas.

Me, I've been wanting to get into fishing. I'm a complete novice. But I'm told there are lots of really good lakes to fish in here.
We'll see...
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 pm

serapion wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Flat, featureless and hot as I say. At least the area north of Dallas is, where I live.
But it will be great to have you around. Real estate is pretty hot here at the moment what with all the Californians moving in. Like the several thousand Toyota employees, to name one group, now that they just opened their massive North American headquarters here.

Yes, if you're looking for endless miles of suburbia, look no further than Northern Texas.

Me, I've been wanting to get into fishing. I'm a complete novice. But I'm told there are lots of really good lakes to fish in here.
We'll see...
I’ll take you fishing! I’ll bring kids along for Fred’s sake. But yes, Toyota moved from my city to yours, literally. I noticed the million dollar cattle in the area surrounded by muggles in brick houses. The fact that I’ll have to commute to play will not change one bit. My wife must live in suburbs.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Best wishes on your relocation out of that so called golden state, TT.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 pm
serapion wrote:

We'll see...
I’ll take you fishing! I’ll bring kids along for Fred’s sake. But yes, Toyota moved from my city to yours, literally. I noticed the million dollar cattle in the area surrounded by muggles in brick houses. The fact that I’ll have to commute to play will not change one bit. My wife must live in suburbs.
Sold!
Let’s do this!
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 pm

serapion wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:46 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 pm
serapion wrote:

We'll see...
Sold!
Let’s do this!
We demand pics and stories!

And not just stories about the big fish that got away.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon