The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:17 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:10 am
I have mentioned here that I made friends with the Orvis fishing manager when I moved to Roanoke in 2016.
We visit from time to time and I took his fly tying classes the store sponsored.
Several times he said we would work a date to fish, but never got around to it.
Last month i told him I had received my official move date.
Long story short, we are waiting for the warmer part of today to hit North Creek for native Brookies, maybe on dry flies.
Nice weather today, I am looking forward to it.

Pic of North Creek from the web:
Maybe I will have pics to post this evening.
Wow, that looks beautiful.
Sola Deo Gloria

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:53 am

Made a quick outing Saturday to the coast. North wind was howling, with light rain, and fish were not biting. I drove around to a levee to get some protection from the wind, and when I rounded a corner onto the levee, the first thing in sight was a piece from a fiberglass boat in the shape of a cross that someone had placed, using a pile of rocks.

I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Did you take that as a good sign or bad?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:07 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:02 pm
Did you take that as a good sign or bad?
Neither; but I thought it was pretty neat. We didn't even get a nibble. But, it was a good day outside with my grandson. He's a good kid, and a good fisherman.

BTW, my older grandson went to the beach and took my younger GS's rod and several boxes from his tackle bag without asking. So, there was a mild spat between the two, via text message. But it ended up friendly, with each texting the other, asking what was being caught, etc. I stayed out of it, and me and the younger GS used back-up, substitute rods. Turned out, it didn't matter for either party. I'm glad theyre both ourdoorsmen. Blessed, I am. Blessed.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:21 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
I have mentioned here that I made friends with the Orvis fishing manager when I moved to Roanoke in 2016.
We visit from time to time and I took his fly tying classes the store sponsored.
Long story short, we are waiting for the warmer part of today to hit North Creek for native Brookies, maybe on dry flies.
We had a great time Sunday for a few hours on North Creek. It was just warm enough to use dry flies.
Will, my buddy the Orvis Fishing Manager, showed me the nuances of stalking the small pools from behind the boulders, bragged on the accuracy of my casting and corrected me controlling the slack on my drifts. So we caught several Brookies, some as large as 9 inches, a couple of rainbows, and spent a good bit of time probably looking silly kneeling behind cover casting Adams to riffles in bathtub sized holes.
Oh yeah, some of the Brookies are not quite so large, but just as difficult and fun to catch.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 pm

My fishing license has expired. I shall renew this weekend.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:35 pm

I’m glad you had a good day out, Judge. I liked learning about hiding behind rocks like that, even in such small spaces.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:21 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
We had a great time Sunday for a few hours on North Creek. It was just warm enough to use dry flies.
Will, my buddy the Orvis Fishing Manager, showed me the nuances of stalking the small pools from behind the boulders, bragged on the accuracy of my casting and corrected me controlling the slack on my drifts. So we caught several Brookies, some as large as 9 inches, a couple of rainbows, and spent a good bit of time probably looking silly kneeling behind cover casting Adams to riffles in bathtub sized holes.
Oh yeah, some of the Brookies are not quite so large, but just as difficult and fun to catch.
Sounds like a wonderful day on the water...and what great looking water! Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:12 am

Great pics, Judge. Your brookie is abt the size of the rainbows I was catching in Montana's Gallatin River a few years ago. Requires a very light touch.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:20 am

nice
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:19 am

Indiana has a weird fishing license. They all expire at the end of March, no matter when you buy it. You buy it on March 15th, you have about two weeks to use it before you have to get another one. I'm getting a new one today.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:32 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:19 am
Indiana has a weird fishing license. They all expire at the end of March, no matter when you buy it. You buy it on March 15th, you have about two weeks to use it before you have to get another one. I'm getting a new one today.
Texas has an either or option. The license period expires on August 31 or you can pay a premium for a year-from-purchase license.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 am

Many states have gone to the fixed expiration date. Ours is the end of March also and it makes the most sense as hunting seasons are over and fishing season is just beginning in most places. Once you get in the cycle it doesn't really matter.

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:51 pm

We interesting. Sc is the opposite they were fixed until about 5 years ago the they went a calendar year.

Also fished the outgoing tide and got skunked this morning. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:53 pm

VA is the calendar year from the purchase date. Whether you purchase online or at a store, it prints out a card sized piece of paper with all your current licenses and the expiration dates. So if your hunting license, fishing license, trout stamp and national forest permit were all purchased at four different times, you do not have to carry four different pieces of paper.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am

Tying some euro leaders this morning so I can give it a try this afternoon. Never euro nymphed before so we'll see how it goes.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am
. . . Never euro nymphed before so we'll see how it goes.
I'm sold! At least for the pocket water I fished today, this is a fantastic new way to catch fish.

cold pizza never tasted so good

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Sweet!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm
FredS wrote:
I'm sold! At least for the pocket water I fished today, this is a fantastic new way to catch fish.

Sounds exotic. If not sexy. Not the cold pizza, the euro nymphing.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm
FredS wrote:

Sounds exotic. If not sexy. Not the cold pizza, the euro nymphing.
Be very precise if you try to google it.

It's an adaptation of short-line, high-stick, heavy fly *nymphing method first attributed to the Czech fly fishing team. Then the French, Poles, and Spaniards each put there own twist on it so we've combined their methods in to a stew called Euro Nymphing. Murcan's are good at taking the best of other cultures and alloying them in to something that's better than the individual constituents. We aint called the 'melting pot' for nothing.

* (not for you Tim, but others who may not know) A nymph is an early, underwater life stage of various flying bugs who later come to the surface and fly away. Trout pretty much live on these underwater bugs until they (the trout) get so big they need to start cannibalizing smaller fish to maintain weight.