The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:35 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:27 pm
If I have a 'confidence fly' it's the Pink Squirrel. I fished this as my point (bottom) fly on a two-nymph rig last weekend with a tiny RS2 (a blue winged olive mayfly emerger) up top and fully half the trout I caught went for the Pine Squirrel over the the BWO emerger even though BWO's were emerging.

Just tied two dozen. Size 14. That's the only size I tie.
Good looking tie
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Finally finishing up a shadow box with some flies of my own make. Not a great pic, but here it is - box is century old barnwood. It will be auctioned off next Saturday at our annual fundraising auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:29 pm

A great idea for a display and some really cool flys.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 pm
Finally finishing up a shadow box with some flies of my own make. Not a great pic, but here it is - box is century old barnwood. It will be auctioned off next Saturday at our annual fundraising auction.

Spectular, Gabriel!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Is this an in person auction or can bids be submitted online? Asking for a friend.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 am

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:12 pm
Is this an in person auction or can bids be submitted online? Asking for a friend.
Heh, I’m afraid we’re not set up for online bidding. If your friend knows a guy associated with the auction, he should contact him and work something out ;).

I have considered trying to auction a few items like this separately on CPS, but haven’t so far. It seemed like it might be poor form to fundraise here, also, you all have coached my efforts from day one; seems wrong to sell y’all things.
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 am

So yesterday afternoon I spent working on a new fly, a "Stripped Gear". I saw it on a video that I have. It is a wet fly and it uses a clear vinyl strand for the body and elk fuzz for dubbing. The elk fuzz is supposed to hold air better and release it as its "swimming" in the water. In the video the guy uses partridge feather for the soft hackle, (really a hen feather from a saddle). I wanted to find a use for some blue grouse feathers that I have from some birds I shot last year and the year before. I like the look of the grouse feathers color wise, but they don't separate out like I want for soft hackle...maybe because I need to store them in paper...they seem almost "moist"...not moist, but I think they should be dryer to work correctly. I will work on that. I tied 1/2 a dozen in 10 and 12 and still couldn't get the hackle correct, but the good news is that the dubbing loop worked (never done a dubbing loop before) and the 6 I tied will still likely catch the trout in a freestone...once I get this figured out, I am going to try some of Fred's pink squirrels.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 am

Looks like you’ll have decent fishing up in your part of the state, Fred & Bloodhound.
I think we’re going to dry up and blow away!

Or burn down.
Sure hope it starts raining, soon.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 am

Looks like you’ll have decent fishing up in your part of the state, Fred & Bloodhound.
I think we’re going to dry up and blow away!

Or burn down.
Sure hope it starts raining, soon.
That's surprising that we're almost normal up and over here. The snowpack being normal that is - I'm sure Boulder skews our scores in every other category towards the not normal side. Looking out my window, I see no snow at all along the northern front range below perhaps *8000ft. I have an extra room and a half bottle of scotch if you want to come over and see some green this spring/summer. I'll leave the light on.

*I've become curiously interested in altitude since I moved here. I have an app on my phone and I drive Mrs FredS nuts because I'm constantly checking it. She particularly doesn't like it when we're up high, on switchbacky roads in the snow and I look at my phone instead of the road for even a split second.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Re: Pink Squirrel

I don't have 'shrimp pink' dubbing so I mix my own using fl pink, tan, orange, and white ice dubbing. I think all but the tan stuff is UV so that 'hot spot' really glows under my UV light. The say trout, all freshwater fish actually, see light in the UV spectrum. I'm not sure about all that, but I know that thing catches fish like crazy.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:41 pm

I was sitting in my office this afternoon when I got a visit from a co-worker who started tying about the same time I did. He was very frustrated. He said that he had broken his 3rd vice in just over a year. He said he was tying #10 hooks each time and the jaws fractured again.

A little back story. I started in the retro groove of tying. I bought a vintage Thompson A and then because they are inexpensive and work well, I bought another one for the cabin. I have had no problems.

My co-worker bought a $20 Renzetti copy on line and he just broke the 3rd one. He told me that he isn't willing to leave the features of the vise, but he is 1/2 way to a real Renzetti when you figure in the shipping. I suggested that he look at the Peak or...but I think in his frustration he is going to end up buying a real Renzetti or even a more expensive vice.

Well I edited this just now. He called and said he found a Thompson A and he is going to try it for now.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 01, 2018 1:40 pm

This is interesting: A Weird-But-True Story Takes Flight In 'The Feather Thief'
In his prologue, Johnson tells us that he stumbled on this mystery one day while standing waist-high in the Red River of New Mexico. Suffering from PTSD as a consequence of years of aid work in Iraq, Johnson had taken up the meditative sport of fly-fishing.

On this fateful trip, Johnson's guide began telling him about his own hobby of Victorian salmon fly-tying. The ornate flies, the guide explained, were more of an art form than a fishing tool; they're composed of the iridescent jewel-toned feathers plucked from many of the rarest birds in the world, like the Indian crow and the king bird of paradise.

Then, the guide went on to tell Johnson the bizarre story of a master fly-tier named Edwin Rist. In 2009, Rist — who was then a 20-year-old American student at the Royal Academy of Music in London — broke into the Tring Museum, a suburban outpost of the British Natural History Museum that was established during the Blitz.

Once inside, Rist stuffed hundreds of rare bird skins into a suitcase he'd brought along. Many of those birds bore tags identifying that they'd been collected 150 years earlier by a naturalist named Alfred Russel Wallace, who was a colleague of Charles Darwin.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue May 01, 2018 1:55 pm

What a disgusting man, this Rist character. He bears out the old saying that we often destroy the thing we love the most. He (and those who buy his product) has lost sight of the beautiful ethos those old flies represent and instead focused only on the object, totally and utterly missing the point.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu May 03, 2018 9:04 pm

I love the way this pattern swims, but spinning and trimming deer hair successfully still eludes me. Haven’t tied anything incorporating spun deer hair that looks good yet.

Also, I listened to that podcast with the author of The Feather Thief. Interesting conversation for sure.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:04 pm
I love the way this pattern swims, but spinning and trimming deer hair successfully still eludes me. Haven’t tied anything incorporating spun deer hair that looks good yet.

Also, I listened to that podcast with the author of The Feather Thief. Interesting conversation for sure.

No thread on the hook shank so it will spin easily. Pack it realllllly tight, Gabe. Leave more room before you start. Use more hair, but stacked in multiple stages, each stage packed tight against the last with your thumb, index and middle finger fingernails cupped around the hook shank.

If you want some long hairs flying out the back, like on a traditional muddler, after a light trim on the front part, put some masking tape over the hairs sticking out toward the back and then finish trimming.

A very good pair of scissors helps, and for a clean finish, I use a single edge razor.

And like everything else you now do well that seemed impossible at first - practice, practice, practice.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks dp! Been too busy to get back to deer hair, but I did manage to play with some rabbit strips this morning:

Tail is a little long on the chartreuse one, but should still swim. :)

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 20, 2018 11:14 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 am
Thanks dp! Been too busy to get back to deer hair, but I did manage to play with some rabbit strips this morning:

Tail is a little long on the chartreuse one, but should still swim. :)

Great looking streamers, Gabe.

Once I discovered rabbit strips, I rarely tied a streamer with anything else!
Quick, easy, effective and they wear like iron.

Try nothing more than a strip of black on an otherwise bare hook in a lake, Gabriel.
Leaches are ubiquitous. Fish love ‘em.

When you’re tying for clients (or your kids) after a long day of work there’s nothing as wonderful as a fly you can crank out in less than a minute that holds up forever and catches fish like gangbusters!

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 pm

This cat ties some sick flies.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 am

The Blowtorch.

Yummy Euro nymphs. All the flies on the left are woven from floss/thread Mrs FredS uses for cross stitch.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 24, 2018 12:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 am
The Blowtorch.

Yummy Euro nymphs. All the flies on the left are woven from floss/thread Mrs FredS uses for cross stitch.
Euro nymphs for Euro trout.

I guess I need to start this now too. :lol: