COLEMAN!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23905
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:39 am

Coleman to the rescue!
I wonder how many here value their Coleman stuff as assets in emergency situations?
Spring storms, hurricanes, power outages---you know.
It appears that a modest investment can turn a thrift shop/swap meet purchase into some useful,
and therefore justifiable, assets in an emergency
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21173
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Jocose » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:39 am
Coleman to the rescue!
I wonder how many here value their Coleman stuff as assets in emergency situations?
Spring storms, hurricanes, power outages---you know.
It appears that a modest investment can turn a thrift shop/swap meet purchase into some useful,
and therefore justifiable, assets in an emergency
I have several stoves and lanterns for the inconvenience of a power outage
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7867
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:30 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:03 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:39 am
Coleman to the rescue!
I wonder how many here value their Coleman stuff as assets in emergency situations?
Spring storms, hurricanes, power outages---you know.
It appears that a modest investment can turn a thrift shop/swap meet purchase into some useful,
and therefore justifiable, assets in an emergency
I have several stoves and lanterns for the inconvenience of a power outage
Me too oh and also because they are fun...oh and cool!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23905
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:56 pm

My son got his car broken into, driver's side window busted so we got the shop vac out of the garage of terror to suck up all the busted safety glass. While the garage door was open I went up the ladder to the little loft where I remember stashing my Coleman stuff, and pulled out the first box I saw and brought it down. It was a grey-ish plastic case holding an unused 508 single burner stove stamped 01 and 91 so I'm guessing 1991?
How it came into my possession I can only guess.
I had a single mantle lantern & single burner stove, Peak1 IIRC, painted black that I donated to the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake Relief in Santa Cruz---lots of people camping out and the electricity was out so I thought the Coleman stuff would be useful. I thought the Peak 1 stuff was too heavy for back packing anyway, but for some reason I must have felt the need to replace the single burner stove. Why? I've no idea as this one has never been fired up.
It's a cool little stove!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7867
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 am

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:56 pm
My son got his car broken into, driver's side window busted so we got the shop vac out of the garage of terror to suck up all the busted safety glass. While the garage door was open I went up the ladder to the little loft where I remember stashing my Coleman stuff, and pulled out the first box I saw and brought it down. It was a grey-ish plastic case holding an unused 508 single burner stove stamped 01 and 91 so I'm guessing 1991?
How it came into my possession I can only guess.
I had a single mantle lantern & single burner stove, Peak1 IIRC, painted black that I donated to the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake Relief in Santa Cruz---lots of people camping out and the electricity was out so I thought the Coleman stuff would be useful. I thought the Peak 1 stuff was too heavy for back packing anyway, but for some reason I must have felt the need to replace the single burner stove. Why? I've no idea as this one has never been fired up.
It's a cool little stove!
If you are going to tease and not show a pic...dude that's harsh. You are right...the 01 is Jan and the 91 is 1991.

Lots of Coleman folks collect things that match their birth month and year...some are easier than others. Some folks take it so far as to hunt down birth stuff for their kids and grand kids and other special dates, anniversary and so forth.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32966
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by John-Boy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm

A little Coleman action from this weekend:
Image
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7867
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:03 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm
A little Coleman action from this weekend:
Image
SWEET!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23905
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Hovannes » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:17 pm

I needed the ladder some place else so before I took it away I scrambled into the garage rafters one more time and brought down a white gas 2 burner stove and lantern. The boxes aren't too old so they aren't my dad's :( but I'm thinking from a resupply I purchased back in the 80s. As soon as I clean the dust off the boxes I'll know better what in the heck I have.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23905
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Stove is a 425f-499
Lantern is a 288A 700
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7867
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:58 pm
Stove is a 425f-499
Lantern is a 288A 700
You are such a tease....no pics

But glad you got them out and in the light of day
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23905
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:38 am

FWIW I dusted off the boxes and found the price tags.
The stove was regularly $69.95 on sale for $59.95
The lantern was regularly $49.95 and the part of the sale price sticker with the actual price was missing.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23905
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Hovannes » Wed May 02, 2018 11:52 am

The bees came back to summer in the chimney flashing, so I needed my ladder again (once more to the garage.) I resolved to find my dad's Coleman gear and found it up in the rafters directly over his old Model T sedan, taking quite a bit of work to bring it down without punching a hole in the roof of the Fordor---that stuff is heavy!
Anyway the boxes are coated with a good 1/2" of dust so it will be awhile before I can get to exploring them more completely
Here's what I found:
413E camp stove
228C lantern
No. 0 filter funnel
In the original cardboard boxes, which are brittle and stained.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7867
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Treasures discovered! Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35674
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by UncleBob » Mon May 14, 2018 3:12 pm

I fired up the 200As this weekend. We had a few people over and all the guys were shamed by my prowess at lighting a gas mantle lantern. It seems this is a depreciated skill.

:mermaid:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23905
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Hovannes » Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 am

I'm building a plywood transport box for my dad's 228C lantern, a big hat so it is a pretty large box. I need to paint the outside and I'm wondering what color to paint it---Coleman Green? GI Olive Drab? Something else?
I'm open to suggestions.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7867
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am

Hovannes wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 am
I'm building a plywood transport box for my dad's 228C lantern, a big hat so it is a pretty large box. I need to paint the outside and I'm wondering what color to paint it---Coleman Green? GI Olive Drab? Something else?
I'm open to suggestions.
To my eye, the Matching box with the lantern is a good look. You could even get a Colman logo sticker and dress it all the way. http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/home.php
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35674
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23905
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Hovannes » Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 am

UncleBob wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 am
Coleman Lantern Carry Case
Image
I doubt that it will fit a" Big Hat" Besides, I already have the box.
Right now I'm trying to find a draw latch with sufficient gusto to handle the challenge.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23905
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Hovannes » Wed May 16, 2018 9:28 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am
Hovannes wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 am
I'm building a plywood transport box for my dad's 228C lantern, a big hat so it is a pretty large box. I need to paint the outside and I'm wondering what color to paint it---Coleman Green? GI Olive Drab? Something else?
I'm open to suggestions.
To my eye, the Matching box with the lantern is a good look. You could even get a Colman logo sticker and dress it all the way. http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/home.php
Cool idea! I needed to order blue felt for the fuel filter funnel anyway. Thanks!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35674
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 am

Hovannes wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 am
UncleBob wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 am
Coleman Lantern Carry Case
Image
I doubt that it will fit a" Big Hat" Besides, I already have the box.
Right now I'm trying to find a draw latch with sufficient gusto to handle the challenge.
And that is why you fail. Go to Wal-Mart and look for yourself.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Post Reply