Relearning to Laugh at Ourselves

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Relearning to Laugh at Ourselves

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:01 pm
All said, it may not always be prudent to joke about some things. Especially online.
You've circled right 'round to the OP. If it's not 'prudent' to joke in our little corner of the internet than it's certainly not OK in a movie theater. Surely Archie Bunker, South Park and the Simpsons would have quickly withered and died if we can't laugh at others and ourselves. Their entire stock in trade is picking at our scabs. And there should be no misunderstanding that those TV shows jabbed privileged white men more than any other group. Archie Bunker is a chauvinistic white bigot and Homer Simpson is a white suburban doofus.
Last edited by FredS on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:17 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:12 pm
Thunktank wrote:
All said, it may not always be prudent to joke about some things. Especially online.
You've circled right 'round to the OP. If it's not 'prudent' to joke in our little corner of the internet than it's certainly not OK in a movie theater. Surely Archie Bunker, South Park and the Simpsons would have quickly withered and died if we can't laugh at others and ourselves. Their entire stock in trade is picking at our scabs.
Yeah, but they're pros.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:27 pm

We're screwed if someone googles "Christians who hate rednecks"

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Rednecks = Country music
Hillbillies = Bluegrass music (except at Lake of the Ozarks, where Granny's radio played Hawaiian tunes)

My father's side of the family were Hillbillies, through-and-through.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 am

I sure hope God doesn't judge me on a Google search result.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:34 am

SlowToke wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 am
I sure hope God doesn't judge me on a Google search result.
Google isn't God's default search engine.
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:18 am

FredS wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
You've circled right 'round to the OP. If it's not 'prudent' to joke in our little corner of the internet than it's certainly not OK in a movie theater. Surely Archie Bunker, South Park and the Simpsons would have quickly withered and died if we can't laugh at others and ourselves. Their entire stock in trade is picking at our scabs. And there should be no misunderstanding that those TV shows jabbed privileged white men more than any other group. Archie Bunker is a chauvinistic white bigot and Homer Simpson is a white suburban doofus.
As Thunk said, they were pros and famous and rich. If they screwed up and offended someone, they could cut the show and do something new all over again in a year with no consequence. Average Joe doesn't get to operate a notorious website with no personal consequences. This being our friend's website, we ought to respect that he might not want to be a free speech zone and deal with the attendant consequences.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:31 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:18 am
FredS wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
As Thunk said, they were pros and famous and rich. If they screwed up and offended someone, they could cut the show and do something new all over again in a year with no consequence. Average Joe doesn't get to operate a notorious website with no personal consequences. This being our friend's website, we ought to respect that he might not want to be a free speech zone and deal with the attendant consequences.
Verily.
The issue can certainly be discussed without illustration. Unfortunatly we learn about laughing at ourselves by laughing at others.
This is observable in every elementary school in the country and that is where it is being suppressed as a form of bullying but there is a profound diference between cruel words and humor, it's intent.
Adults don't get this.
Nearly all pubescent children, and Mel Brooks, do.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:06 am

This might sound self righteous, not trying to be, but I don’t find racial or sexual orientation jokes very funny anyway. I’m sure some of that is because of where I’ve lived for the past 20 years “behind the orange curtain” where such jokes simply aren’t appreciated or relatable. We tend to be somewhat awestruck when the rest of the country gets off the rails over racial issues. I remember the east coast was different and indeed, more often than not, the jokes had some cruel intent. Even just a bit north of us in Los Angeles things are different. I’m not suggesting that jokes aren’t innocent here on CPS mostly, yes, sometimes jokes are just jokes and we can make fun of ourselves and others in good humor. OTOH, it’s very often a progression that ends up being anything but. That happened here recently.

Btw, my last name is Yiddish. :wink:

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:06 am

“Tank” is Yiddish? Huh. Learn something every day.
Sola Deo Gloria

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:

Who'd a thunk?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Del

Post by Del » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:29 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:52 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Who'd a thunk?
Ever so slightly on topic....

Madison has a klezmer band. Been around for over 20 years. They call themselves "Yid Vicious."

Here they are, playing at a party on Willy Street.... not taking themselves seriously, at all. A great example of Jewish humor in its natural state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNAelaeUuU

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:34 pm

+JMJ+

IT’S GOOD TO BE THE KING: Mel Brooks Talks Trump, Anti-Semitism, Political Correctness and the ‘Best Movie’ He Ever Made
PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY THE DAILY BEAST

The Oscar-winning filmmaker looks back on half a century of show business, gives his thoughts on the Trump administration, and reveals the ‘best movie’ he ever made.

Before I can get a question out, Mel Brooks jumps in.

“What would you like to know?” he begins. “I can tell you this. On April 26th, I’ll be on stage at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood celebrating the 50th—hard to believe!—anniversary of this movie, The Producers, that Zero Mostel said no to.”

Perhaps at 91 years old, Brooks just doesn’t have to time to wait and see what you want to ask him. And he has plenty to say, especially as he prepares to be honored for his first feature film at the TCM Classic Film Festival this month, almost 50 years to the day after he won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay.

[…]

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue May 01, 2018 10:30 am

Still thinking about this topic, especially in light of an unmentionable event that took place a few days ago in our nation's capital. One of the reasons that we (as a culture) have lost our ability to laugh at ourselves is because we've lost the ability to be funny. I genuinely think that there are people who cannot see the humor in someone like Don Rickles. They think all you need is the insult to be funny. They fail to realize it's funny when you make fun of things you value, but cruel to make fun of things you already despise. It's extremely telling actually, when someone can't distinguish humor from cruelty. It was a distinctive mark of the bully in school.

I was initially thinking we have to relearn to laugh at ourselves, as if we'd forgotten how, but I think it's more true that we haven't forgotten how to laugh at ourselves, we've mistaken cruelty and filth, purely for filth's sake, for humor. That's one of the reasons I think a lot of comedians (the honest ones) have lamented political correctness. Not because it tells us what is and isn't okay to say, but because it's programmed us to think like a bully. People seeped in a PC environment or people who are 'woke' didn't forget how to laugh, they genuinely cannot laugh at genuine humor. They don't know how. Their brains have been re-wired and they've lost the ability to understand it. It's why they think cruelty is hilarious, but react like a vampire doused in holy water when confronted with real comedy. They can't take it. It doesn't compute. They don't just squirm or feel uncomfortable. They scream and protest. They burn cities to the ground and destroy people's livelihoods because they can't take a joke.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue May 01, 2018 11:01 am

When I was younger and cruder, my pals and I often said "eff 'em if they can't take a joke". I don't suppose the kids still say that.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue May 01, 2018 11:45 am

Rob Schnieder had some very potent tweets recently-- not just advertising his show. He's criticizing comedy for lacking respect and a decent punchline in the SNL riffs.

They are captured in this link: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... ation.html

I found it very interesting because it wasn't political because he'd poke fun at either party leanings. He had this point about the environment:

"Much late night comedy is less about being funny and more about Indoctrination by comedic disposition," Schneider continued on Twitter. "People aren't really laughing at it as much as cheering on the rhetoric. "
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Del

Post by Del » Tue May 01, 2018 11:54 am

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:52 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Who'd a thunk?
Mr. Thunk Tank Yiddish, at your service.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 pm

LOL!

Ask yourself this: Do you enjoy the "Heinlein's Belly Laughing Thread"?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Please review the rules for politics in the Standard of Conduct: app.php/rules

Political discussions, for now, can occur on Slack.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Del

Post by Del » Tue May 01, 2018 12:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 pm
LOL!

Ask yourself this: Do you enjoy the "Heinlein's Belly Laughing Thread"?
I thought the title was condescending. And the notion that “the Church” was responsible for some dubious folk superstition also missed the punchline.

I liked the thread. And the attempt at humor.

Lazarus Long is a horse’s patootie.