Jester wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm
tuttle wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:54 pm
Cleon wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:36 pm
tuttle wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 am
The Southern Baptist Convention's Annual Meeting begins today and things are a little more contentious than usual...

Of course you've got the Calvinist issue that's been fomenting for the last few years, but this year they've decided to kick it up a notch.

Following the MLK 50 conference there'll be discussion about social justice (see above in this thread) which is sure to be misinterpreted by everyone inside and out. And if that wasn't enough, maybe the biggest issue at hand right now is, what I've seen almost across the board by both sides, being called the SBC's "#MeToo moment."

It all kind of blew up after some remarks by Paige Patterson about women in abusive relationships and then allegations came out about him covering up a rape at his school. Patterson was to give the annual address at the meeting. Since the kerfuffle Patterson has decided to not give his address and his school has fired him and has stripped him of all benefits.

So now there's a pretty big (or at least, loud) #MeToo wave being ridden by a lot of folks coming to the meeting. I've seen lots of buzz on twitter and blogs about Southern Baptists needing to place women in positions of authority within the SBC, many looking to Beth Moore as a possible presidential candidate. And just behind that wave I'm also seeing people advocating for women to not just rise to power within the Convention but within SBC churches as pastors/preachers.

Might be an interesting few days to follow how some of this plays out.

EDIT: Here's a news report that gives a little more info: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nation ... _gathering
I hope the convention comes out okay in all this. Emotions are high and the speed that all this is happening is unreal. Those factors usually don't lend themselves to good decision making.
I hope the same. The last few years seemed like a pretty emotionally charged couple of gatherings. This one seems to take the cake so far. Hopefully calmer heads prevail and wisdom wins out.
Don't fret boys. At the end of the day each Baptist congregation is still autonomous.
If Beth Moore gets elected, your church should be all #NotMyPresident
Invent an ordained office of "Church Decorator". It should make all the women happy.
Really? You think that's all a woman's good for? Decorating?

They can bake cookies too.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Re: Faith in the News

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:59 am

Side note-- I think Beth Moore is getting misrepresented here (as per my last reading of the news).

Someone came out with something ugly about her and she wrote an amazing article about how she's really been respectful of authority and structure and not about power or influence-- she just wants to teach in the right avenue that is aligned with the authority and she's hit some ugly moments with certain authority and she has submitted even in those circumstances.

I believe this was the one: https://blog.lproof.org/2018/05/a-lette ... thers.html

A couple ladies consequently wrote public apologies for having said ugly things about her ambitions. I have a lot of respect for Beth and her teaching/ministries.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:16 am

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:59 am
Side note-- I think Beth Moore is getting misrepresented here (as per my last reading of the news).

Someone came out with something ugly about her and she wrote an amazing article about how she's really been respectful of authority and structure and not about power or influence-- she just wants to teach in the right avenue that is aligned with the authority and she's hit some ugly moments with certain authority and she has submitted even in those circumstances.

I believe this was the one: https://blog.lproof.org/2018/05/a-lette ... thers.html

A couple ladies consequently wrote public apologies for having said ugly things about her ambitions. I have a lot of respect for Beth and her teaching/ministries.

G.
I for one am skeptical of anyone who churns out the quantity of books and studies like she does.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 am

infidel wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:16 am
gaining_age wrote:

G.
I for one am skeptical of anyone who churns out the quantity of books and studies like she does.
I read one of her books and it came at a good time for me when I needed the encouraging word. It was pretty good quality even as I found a couple typos or reference errors (one verse cited while I knew it was a different one).

Do you have similar reservations about Stephen King? My brother once noted that King wrote and published his novels faster than he could read them.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:45 am

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 am
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

G.
I read one of her books and it came at a good time for me when I needed the encouraging word. It was pretty good quality even as I found a couple typos or reference errors (one verse cited while I knew it was a different one).

Do you have similar reservations about Stephen King? My brother once noted that King wrote and published his novels faster than he could read them.
I've never read anything by King and have no interest. I don't have anything against a prolific and popular writer capitalizing on their success, but therein lies the problem with the likes of Beth Moore. "Capitalizing on her success" has a certain ironic ring to it when you're under the Church umbrella. I go into the "Christian" bookstore and the shelves are covered with Beth Moore, Priscilla Shearer, Joel Osteen, TD Jakes, etc. Now, I'm not saying Moore's theology is as bad as Osteen or Jakes, but I have to wonder why she is so popular.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 am

infidel wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:45 am
gaining_age wrote:
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

G.

I've never read anything by King and have no interest. I don't have anything against a prolific and popular writer capitalizing on their success, but therein lies the problem with the likes of Beth Moore. "Capitalizing on her success" has a certain ironic ring to it when you're under the Church umbrella. I go into the "Christian" bookstore and the shelves are covered with Beth Moore, Priscilla Shearer, Joel Osteen, TD Jakes, etc. Now, I'm not saying Moore's theology is as bad as Osteen or Jakes, but I have to wonder why she is so popular.
I was unaware until recently but she has endorsed and partnered with Joel Olsteen, Joyce Meyer and Christine Caine.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 am

Jester wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 am
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

G.

I was unaware until recently but she has endorsed and partnered with Joel Olsteen, Joyce Meyer and Christine Caine.
No further questions, your honor.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 pm

infidel wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 am
Jester wrote:
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

G.

I forbid my wife to read Beth Moore.

J/K. My wife forbids me to read Beth Moore.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 pm

infidel wrote:
Jester wrote:
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

G.

I did a search on this and found nothing to confirm. Some vague description on a blog site or two (not friendly) about a Hillsong conference naming names and associations. No confirmations show up at all.

Dare I say it? Sources please!

I find Beth Moore to be interesting because there are a lot of folks that deeply enjoy and pursue her studies. I've heard far more positive than negative except potentially "there's too much of it"-- i.e. there's always another Moore study that could be offered or is offered. That alone does not make it a problem for me. And I did read "Get out of that Pit". I found it --- particularly the prayers in the back which were essentially lines of confirmation from scripture -- powerful and encouraging. The chapters were informational "what's a pit about, how did you get there, it's not always you but can be you, Biblical folks who were in pits, etc." but the prayers in the back were hitting me most. I'd recommend it.
The 6s of 1st John:

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:34 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 pm
I find Beth Moore to be interesting because there are a lot of folks that deeply enjoy and pursue her studies. I've heard far more positive than negative except potentially "there's too much of it"-- i.e. there's always another Moore study that could be offered or is offered. That alone does not make it a problem for me. And I did read "Get out of that Pit". I found it --- particularly the prayers in the back which were essentially lines of confirmation from scripture -- powerful and encouraging. The chapters were informational "what's a pit about, how did you get there, it's not always you but can be you, Biblical folks who were in pits, etc." but the prayers in the back were hitting me most. I'd recommend it.
I can appreciate that. She just triggers my spider sense.

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:45 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 pm
infidel wrote:
Jester wrote:
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

G.

I did a search on this and found nothing to confirm. Some vague description on a blog site or two (not friendly) about a Hillsong conference naming names and associations. No confirmations show up at all.

Dare I say it? Sources please!

All taken at conferences. Videos are found easy.

Yes that is Osteens wife on the left. At Osteens church where all four held a conference.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Jester wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:45 pm
Such a small marketing blurb and they managed to fit in praise for her appearance and the lengths to which she goes to maintain it. :egor:

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:12 pm

infidel wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 pm
Jester wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:45 pm
Such a small marketing blurb and they managed to fit in praise for her appearance and the lengths to which she goes to maintain it. :egor:
Don't talk about her appearance though #metoo

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:34 pm

+JMJ+

Vice President Mike Pence will address the Southern Baptist Convention. But some aren't happy about it.
Vice President Mike Pence speaks to National Religious Broadcasters’ 75th Annual Convention at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center Tuesday Feb. 27, 2018, in Nashville, Tenn.
(Photo: Larry McCormack / The Tennessean)

DALLAS — Vice President Mike Pence is slated to address the Southern Baptist Convention on Wednesday, but not all Southern Baptists are happy with that decision.

Virginia Pastor Garrett Kell called for Pence's 11 a.m. speech to be replaced by a time of prayer so as to not give the impression that the evangelical denomination aligns with a particular political party.

Virginia Pastor Garrett Kell called for Pence's 11 a.m. speech to be replaced by a time of prayer so as to not give the impression that the evangelical denomination aligns with a particular political party. Southern Baptist Convention, The Tennessean

"We must do all that we can to preserve the purity of the gospel, and this invitation works against it," Kell said Monday morning from the floor of the annual meeting here in Dallas.

[…]

Grant Ethridge, chairman of the Committee on Order of Business, responded to Kell's concerns, saying he realized it is a sensitive issue. But he emphasized that the Southern Baptist Convention is not aligned with a political party and that government leaders have addressed past annual meetings.

Ethridge quoted the Bible to explain the reasoning.

“As a committee, we feel to not show hospitality to those in authority would be a bad testimony for Southern Baptists,” Ethridge said.

"I believe we respect the position regardless of whether or not you supported or voted for the person," he said.

Southern Baptists in Dallas attending the annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention vote on Tuesday to keep Vice President Mike Pence as a speaker. Pence is set to speak Wednesday.
(Photo: Holly Meyer / The Tennessean)

[…]

Kell expressed concern about alienating minorities and church members whose views do not align with the current Republican administration, and made an appeal to amend the schedule and switch out Pence's address for a time of prayer.

While Kell's remarks were met with cheers and applause by some in the room, his request failed to receive enough votes.

[…]

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 am

So, if I'm reading the reports right, Beth Moore wasn't even nominated? Greear, in fact an understudy of Patterson, is the new president of the Convention.

Im amused that the annual church profile is being referred to as the "weepfest". Apparently membership is still shrinking, presumably to the AG, whose membership is still growing. I guess folks like the dim lights, thick smoke, and loud loud music?
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 am
So, if I'm reading the reports right, Beth Moore wasn't even nominated? Greear, in fact an understudy of Patterson, is the new president of the Convention.

Im amused that the annual church profile is being referred to as the "weepfest". Apparently membership is still shrinking, presumably to the AG, whose membership is still growing. I guess folks like the dim lights, thick smoke, and loud loud music?
I noticed that as well (about Beth Moore) and suspect that was a rabble rising side smoke screen.
The 6s of 1st John:

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:03 am

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 am
sweetandsour wrote:

I noticed that as well (about Beth Moore) and suspect that was a rabble rising side smoke screen.
The fact there was soo much talk and no nomination proves the SJW movement in the SBC is purely virtue signaling rather than looking for any real resolution. If there is this deep systematic racism and sexism embedded into the DNA of the SBC then by all means lets attack those creeds or regulations and I will stand next to them to remove such policies or ordinances set in place. "crickets" They didn't present a systematic change. They presented a statement demanding that every male in the SBC ask forgiveness for their misogyny from the founding of the SBC. If they vote no, they are guilty of misogyny, if they vote yes, they are guilty of misogyny.

Social justice in the church bypasses church discipline in an unbiblical way. In fact, it is outright cowardliness. Instead of disciplining the individual, the cowardly shepherds chastise the whole flock. Social justice makes me and you guilty for the sins of our brothers. When Paige Patterson creeps on 16 year old girls, the whole Christian body (of men) creeps on 16 year old girls. When he hid the rape allegations, the whole Body of Christ (the men part) was there with him hiding those allegations. If you don't have the balls to call out a brother or sister in sin, don't get behind the pulpit and wag your finger at the entire church.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:03 am
gaining_age wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

The fact there was soo much talk and no nomination proves the SJW movement in the SBC is purely virtue signaling rather than looking for any real resolution. If there is this deep systematic racism and sexism embedded into the DNA of the SBC then by all means lets attack those creeds or regulations and I will stand next to them to remove such policies or ordinances set in place. "crickets" They didn't present a systematic change. They presented a statement demanding that every male in the SBC ask forgiveness for their misogyny from the founding of the SBC. If they vote no, they are guilty of misogyny, if they vote yes, they are guilty of misogyny.

Social justice in the church bypasses church discipline in an unbiblical way. In fact, it is outright cowardliness. Instead of disciplining the individual, the cowardly shepherds chastise the whole flock. Social justice makes me and you guilty for the sins of our brothers. When Paige Patterson creeps on 16 year old girls, the whole Christian body (of men) creeps on 16 year old girls. When he hid the rape allegations, the whole Body of Christ (the men part) was there with him hiding those allegations. If you don't have the balls to call out a brother or sister in sin, don't get behind the pulpit and wag your finger at the entire church.
Wow.... I think this deserves a Tuttle response.
The 6s of 1st John:

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:26 am

+JMJ+
Jester wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
The fact there was soo much talk and no nomination proves the SJW movement in the SBC is purely virtue signaling rather than looking for any real resolution. If there is this deep systematic racism and sexism embedded into the DNA of the SBC then by all means lets attack those creeds or regulations and I will stand next to them to remove such policies or ordinances set in place. "crickets" …

[…]
In order to know whether there is any chewy-center, wouldn't one have to look at what Baptist theologians are saying? Rather than just looking at the oft-facile, coffee-table evaluations and simplistic political solutions of the popularizers?
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am

Jester wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Reminds me of the universality of the original sin, although I'm not equating that at all here. Individuals in this instance should be called out individually. Although it still affects the whole company, so to speak.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)