The 416 Fire North of Durango

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The 416 Fire North of Durango

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:09 am

Rain Kumbaya at 4:16 AM & PM?
Nah.

I’m really glad this wasn’t the 420 Fire.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:24 am

Prayers are continuing. We were in the Creede area till last night and the smoke was heavy there, can't imagine how it is where you are, at ground zero.

My grand daughters prayed for the firefighters and those affected and you and your wife every day. Our prayers are continuing for your safety.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:24 am
Prayers are continuing. We were in the Creede area till last night and the smoke was heavy there, can't imagine how it is where you are, at ground zero.

My grand daughters prayed for the firefighters and those affected and you and your wife every day. Our prayers are continuing for your safety.
Thanks for all the prayers!
Things looking better on our end of the fire.

We’re still in our home.
Red flag warning today may delay a planned backburn near us (along Junction Creek Road at Animas Lookout, above us - where I grouse hunt) that would likely trigger our evacuation.

Lots of info in this morning’s briefing:

https://www.facebook.com/416Fire/videos ... 713991585/
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:09 am
Nah.

That's funny right there. Those not familiar with the cannabis culture (not saying DP is familiar familiar, but hey, I don't judge) might not get it. Your outlook is refreshing Steve.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:40 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:09 am
Nah.

That's funny right there. Those not familiar with the cannabis culture (not saying DP is familiar familiar, but hey, I don't judge) might not get it. Your outlook is refreshing Steve.
I didn't catch it til you pointed it out. But that brings up the subject, or the possibility, of certain types of fields burning. Firefighters would want to stay up-wind for sure. Well, while on duty anyway.

Anyway, still praying that it's going well there.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 am

It’s Raining!!
:joy:

Fire activity is slowed.
Crews have time to strengthen defenses - and cool off.

We’re still in pre-evacuation zone, but in our home.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:10 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 am
It’s Raining!!
:joy:

Fire activity is slowed.
Crews have time to strengthen defenses - and cool off.

We’re still in pre-evacuation zone, but in our home.
Prayers being answered. So glad you are safe...we will continue praying
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 pm

I saw on WeatherUnderground that the precip up in Durango was very much less than had been forecast. Bummer. Same here. We just had a few sprinkles. But the skies sure were pretty this evening.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:18 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:05 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:07 pm

Hov: I'm not familiar with a Vietnam Veterans Memorial near Purgatory??
Check it out
https://www.vietnamveteransmemorial.org ... alHistory/
Hov . . .

That’s down in New Mexico near Angel Fire ski area, about 150 miles southeast of us - owned by the same guy who owns Purgatory.

There's a big fire burning near there, too - the Ute Park Fire.

(Looks like we were posting at the same time, Fred.)
Yeah all treks have been canceled at Philmont scout reservation.
http://philmontscoutranch.org/

edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 pm
I saw on WeatherUnderground that the precip up in Durango was very much less than had been forecast. Bummer. Same here. We just had a few sprinkles. But the skies sure were pretty this evening.
Yep.
The really heavy rain went east.

The Texas panhandle got hammered.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 pm
Yep.
The really heavy rain went east.

The Texas panhandle got hammered.
Good grief. I so much thought that forecast for heavy rain would pan out. Read this morning officials saying they don't expect to have the fire contained until July 31st. 8O
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 am

Continued prayers.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am

Every time I watch the fire updates and the *Section Chief thanks the local residents for the defensible spaces they created and their hospitality I'm gobsmacked. Those guys risk their lives to save your house and then say "thanks for helping us do our jobs"? Much like our Useless Facts thread, he totally turns the situation on it's head.

I only wish the clerks at the county courthouse and DMV cared as much about the people they serve.

*Chief Powell seems like a guy I'd love to spend a week in camp with and hate to cross in a bar. I've recommended his daily YouTube breifings to a couple buddies just 'cause he's a cool dude to watch. I hope he's as good to work for as he seems.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:10 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am
Every time I watch the fire updates and the *Section Chief thanks the local residents for the defensible spaces they created and their hospitality I'm gobsmacked. Those guys risk their lives to save your house and then say "thanks for helping us do our jobs"? Much like our Useless Facts thread, he totally turns the situation on it's head.

I only wish the clerks at the county courthouse and DMV cared as much about the people they serve.

*Chief Powell seems like a guy I'd love to spend a week in camp with and hate to cross in a bar. I've recommended his daily YouTube breifings to a couple buddies just 'cause he's a cool dude to watch. I hope he's as good to work for as he seems.
He’s loved here.

The crews love it here.
And we deeply appreciate them and the work they do.

Powell was here for our last big fire in 2002.
He’s practically a local.

The fire has settled down and they’re close to getting containment on the southern flank. The eastern flank is contained. There is little threat to homes and businesses to the northwest - that’s in the Laplata Mountains and the Hermosa Creek Wilderness.

The situation is much improved over a few days ago when the fire was racing south and hundreds of homes, including ours, and the town of Durango were in its path.

And we owe it all to the grace of God working through these good men and women.

It’s funny. We only have them around when there’s a lot of danger, fear and tremendous anxiety. This team is being timed out and going to back their homes and loved ones for a well deserved break on Thursday. And we’re all a little sad to see them leave.

Rob Powell is like family here, and he knows it.
I think even he’s a little sad to be leaving, but glad nobody got hurt and no homes were lost.

And he’ll be home in time for his granddaughter’s birthday.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:17 pm

I didn't know if he was a savant at memorizing maps and landmarks or if he'd been in the area before. A couple times he's mentioned spike camps, and how happy 'the guys' are about setting up in such beautiful spots. I suppose the reason those guys do what they do is because they love it out there, but damn, I can think of easier ways to get your nature on.

EDIT: I'm sure his pointer is by now legend down there. He flashes a little s*** eating grin every time he flicks it out like he's giving the finger to political correctness. Or at least to his boss and the higher-ups back in the office.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:53 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:17 pm
EDIT: I'm sure his pointer is by now legend down there. He flashes a little s*** eating grin every time he flicks it out like he's giving the finger to political correctness. Or at least to his boss and the higher-ups back in the office.
True.

The bosses told him to sheath it. He just kept on using it.
He knows his crews, and he knows the locals.
As much as it was a poke in the eye to the bosses, it was also a wink and a moral booster for the rest of us. It said, “I’m one of you, we’re in this, together”

Here’s a cool photo from the Durango Herald . . .

Snow on the peaks in the Needles Mountains in the Weminuche Wilderness, a few miles east of the fire, yesterday morning.

They’re still working on completing containment on our edge of the fire, but because they’ve chosen to do a - more risky to the crews but more effective for containing the fire - direct containment instead of a backburn, we remain in pre-evac mode but have not been required to evacuate.

Another, secondary containment line is being completed below the cliff face in the oaks behind our neighbors’ houses about 200 yds. north of us.

Close, but we feel pretty good about things right now.
And very grateful.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Once it all burns off then the threat is gone for a few years during re-forestation? Or at least puts you at ease for the rest of the summer?

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 pm
Once it all burns off then the threat is gone for a few years during re-forestation? Or at least puts you at ease for the rest of the summer?
A little bit.
But the mountain that’s our backyard, Animas Mountain, is densely forested with oak and still susceptible.

What we really need is more rain.
The forecast is for an earlier than usual monsoon, which would be great.

If that develops, we’ll be out of danger.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:44 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
A little bit.
But the mountain that’s our backyard, Animas Mountain, is densely forested with oak and still susceptible.

Looking through WU's forecast to the end of the month, no monsoon seen here yet

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:44 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
A little bit.

Looking through WU's forecast to the end of the month, no monsoon seen here yet
We’re forecast to be hot and dry in the 10 day forecast.
That takes us to near the normal start of the monsoon.

That early monsoon forecast might have been off!