Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9651
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:34 am

Jester wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:54 am
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:34 pm
Jester wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:20 am
sweetandsour wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:01 am
A lot of those humidor are pretty cheaply made and don’t end up holding humidity. I would recommend setting up a tupperdor. Get a nice Tupperware that has latches like Sistema brand and then put a Boveda pack or two in it. Cheap, you don’t need to season it and it will hold humidity perfectly.

Just my .02, I have two cheap humidors I bought early on and now they just sit empty.

Then if you really get serious you can upgrade to a coolidor, that’s what I use now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or just get a Yeti. :). But actually a Igloo or Coleman work just fine, Im told.

Ya that’s what I meant by coolidor, I use an igloo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pictures or it never happened.
Image

Current setup, running a little low right now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humidity running low?
Ha! I thought the same. That cooler sure don't look too low.
I have a simple cedar box that I put cigars in after getting rid of the plastic or viscose wrappers. My cigar stash is rarely more than a dozen or so.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
AKPreacher
Usher
Usher
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by AKPreacher » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:53 am

Jester wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:34 pm
Jester wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:20 am
sweetandsour wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:01 am
A lot of those humidor are pretty cheaply made and don’t end up holding humidity. I would recommend setting up a tupperdor. Get a nice Tupperware that has latches like Sistema brand and then put a Boveda pack or two in it. Cheap, you don’t need to season it and it will hold humidity perfectly.

Just my .02, I have two cheap humidors I bought early on and now they just sit empty.

Then if you really get serious you can upgrade to a coolidor, that’s what I use now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or just get a Yeti. :). But actually a Igloo or Coleman work just fine, Im told.

Ya that’s what I meant by coolidor, I use an igloo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pictures or it never happened.
Image

Current setup, running a little low right now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humidity running low?
Lol nope


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
AKPreacher
Usher
Usher
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by AKPreacher » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Been worried about my non celloed cigars getting beat up in the cooler so I picked this up in hopes that it will help.

Image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8148
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Just use a boveda pack to keep proper humidity


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8148
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Jester wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:54 am
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:34 pm
Jester wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:20 am
sweetandsour wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:01 am
A lot of those humidor are pretty cheaply made and don’t end up holding humidity. I would recommend setting up a tupperdor. Get a nice Tupperware that has latches like Sistema brand and then put a Boveda pack or two in it. Cheap, you don’t need to season it and it will hold humidity perfectly.

Just my .02, I have two cheap humidors I bought early on and now they just sit empty.

Then if you really get serious you can upgrade to a coolidor, that’s what I use now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or just get a Yeti. :). But actually a Igloo or Coleman work just fine, Im told.

Ya that’s what I meant by coolidor, I use an igloo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pictures or it never happened.
Image

Current setup, running a little low right now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humidity running low?
Ha! I thought the same. That cooler sure don't look too low.
I have a simple cedar box that I put cigars in after getting rid of the plastic or viscose wrappers. My cigar stash is rarely more than a dozen or so.
Don’t take the wrapper off! If you store different cigars side by side with no wrapper they will meld flavors over time, also if one molds or hatches beetles it will ruin all of them rather than being contained to one cigar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
AKPreacher
Usher
Usher
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by AKPreacher » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Jester wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:54 am
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:34 pm
Jester wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:20 am
sweetandsour wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:01 am
A lot of those humidor are pretty cheaply made and don’t end up holding humidity. I would recommend setting up a tupperdor. Get a nice Tupperware that has latches like Sistema brand and then put a Boveda pack or two in it. Cheap, you don’t need to season it and it will hold humidity perfectly.

Just my .02, I have two cheap humidors I bought early on and now they just sit empty.

Then if you really get serious you can upgrade to a coolidor, that’s what I use now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or just get a Yeti. :). But actually a Igloo or Coleman work just fine, Im told.

Ya that’s what I meant by coolidor, I use an igloo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pictures or it never happened.
Image

Current setup, running a little low right now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humidity running low?
Ha! I thought the same. That cooler sure don't look too low.
I have a simple cedar box that I put cigars in after getting rid of the plastic or viscose wrappers. My cigar stash is rarely more than a dozen or so.
Don’t take the wrapper off! If you store different cigars side by side with no wrapper they will meld flavors over time, also if one molds or hatches beetles it will ruin all of them rather than being contained to one cigar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol no I don’t take the cello off of the cigars, the extra tupper is for the cigars I have that don’t come in cello, mostly from Cuba.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9651
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Thanks for the good advice. I very seldom have more than just a few cigars in my small cedar box, and cigars are seldom there long enough to worry about it. But I've always preferred to get rid of the celo if the cigar was going into the cedar. I'm having thoughts now of making cedar partitions for my small humidor box.
Speaking of beetles, there was a discussion about them at the cigar event I attended a few weeks ago. I've never knowingly encountered them, so I was a bit surprised that everyone else at our table had.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
AKPreacher
Usher
Usher
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by AKPreacher » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:39 pm

sweetandsour wrote:Thanks for the good advice. I very seldom have more than just a few cigars in my small cedar box, and cigars are seldom there long enough to worry about it. But I've always preferred to get rid of the celo if the cigar was going into the cedar. I'm having thoughts now of making cedar partitions for my small humidor box.
Speaking of beetles, there was a discussion about them at the cigar event I attended a few weeks ago. I've never knowingly encountered them, so I was a bit surprised that everyone else at our table had.
I never have, keep your cigars under 70degrees and 70rh and you should be fine!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3502
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 am

AKPreacher wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:Thanks for the good advice. I very seldom have more than just a few cigars in my small cedar box, and cigars are seldom there long enough to worry about it. But I've always preferred to get rid of the celo if the cigar was going into the cedar. I'm having thoughts now of making cedar partitions for my small humidor box.
Speaking of beetles, there was a discussion about them at the cigar event I attended a few weeks ago. I've never knowingly encountered them, so I was a bit surprised that everyone else at our table had.
I never have, keep your cigars under 70degrees and 70rh and you should be fine!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've gotten them twice now :(

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8148
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:49 am

sweetandsour wrote:Thanks for the good advice. I very seldom have more than just a few cigars in my small cedar box, and cigars are seldom there long enough to worry about it. But I've always preferred to get rid of the celo if the cigar was going into the cedar. I'm having thoughts now of making cedar partitions for my small humidor box.
Speaking of beetles, there was a discussion about them at the cigar event I attended a few weeks ago. I've never knowingly encountered them, so I was a bit surprised that everyone else at our table had.
I had a humidor stocked for awhile, but I don’t smoke enough cigars at home, if you don’t keep it mostly full it’s difficult for a humidor to maintain humidity, so I just got one of those travel cases and I use that now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22143
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:07 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:49 am
sweetandsour wrote:Thanks for the good advice. I very seldom have more than just a few cigars in my small cedar box, and cigars are seldom there long enough to worry about it. But I've always preferred to get rid of the celo if the cigar was going into the cedar. I'm having thoughts now of making cedar partitions for my small humidor box.
Speaking of beetles, there was a discussion about them at the cigar event I attended a few weeks ago. I've never knowingly encountered them, so I was a bit surprised that everyone else at our table had.
I had a humidor stocked for awhile, but I don’t smoke enough cigars at home, if you don’t keep it mostly full it’s difficult for a humidor to maintain humidity, so I just got one of those travel cases and I use that now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My humidors are all filled with pipes now. I don't smoke enough sticks anymore to keep one filled, and if I do have a few, my grandsons usually get to them.
Image

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 3340
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm

I just recently got my first humidor and stocked it with a couple of bundles from CI. I've decided it's a nice supplement since it's currently such a pain for me to get pipe tobacco in my corner of the world. I keep it at work because my wife can't stand the smell of smoke.

I'm open to recommendations of cigars to try, good bundles of cigars, and good websites for picking up cigars at good prices.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
AKPreacher
Usher
Usher
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Humidor and cigars for 20 bucks

Post by AKPreacher » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Sir Moose wrote:I just recently got my first humidor and stocked it with a couple of bundles from CI. I've decided it's a nice supplement since it's currently such a pain for me to get pipe tobacco in my corner of the world. I keep it at work because my wife can't stand the smell of smoke.

I'm open to recommendations of cigars to try, good bundles of cigars, and good websites for picking up cigars at good prices.
Pm me brother I’m sure I can hook you up with some things to try!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply