What's The Most Aged Tobacco You've Ever Smoked?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:26 am

I have some McClelland with over two years on it and I can taste the improvement. But for me, the most aged pipe tobacco I have smoked is this 2006 eight ounce tin of G.L Pease (Fog City Selection) Fillmore VA/Per I recently found at a reasonable price on eBay. I have smoked Fillmore fresh but man what a change 12 years has made. It's totally different. Surprisingly, still quite moist. It's like drinking a $100 bottle of wine

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Re: What's The Most Aged Tobacco You've Ever Smoked?

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Several years ago, I discovered a bunch of McC tins at a tobacco shop that had been pushed to the back of the shelf and ignored. They were priced at the old prices so I scooped them up. There were 2 tins of Oriental Mixture No. 1. They were 22 years old at the time. I popped the lid on one and smoked some and then put it in a box pass. About the same time Simeon came across some old 3 Nuns...I don't know how old that was. The Oriental Mixture No. 1 was good but very mild. The 3 Nuns was OUTSTANDING!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:26 pm

A forty year-old aromatic blend no longer produced. Nasty. I'm surprised I didn't get some toxic lung crud.

I've had a few blends in the 15-20 year range with varying results.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"The easiest way to digest success is through gratitude." Matthew McConaughey

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 pm

On Saturday, one of the guys at the CPCC pipe club opened a tin of Rattray - Accountant's Mixture from 30 years ago. While I don't usually like latakia, this was one of the best bowls I have ever smoked.

I need to get a tin of this blend to age. Actually, I need to get two tins, one to age and the other to enjoy now.

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Virginia blends benefit most from aging.

Pepik brought a tin of Mac Baren Norwood to Chicago Pipe Show. He claimed it was 40 years old.

It was exquisite. The most memorable smoke I have ever encountered. Sweet, spicy, almost sparkling flavor. Deep, red virginia.

I bought a sealed tub of Sugar Barrel that was decades old. The vendor wanted to give me a discount, just to get it off of his shelf. It was there when he bought the store, years ago.

It tasted just like fresh Sugar Barrel. No change. No improvement.... on the other hand, no degradation.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Like Del, my oldest smoke cane from Pepik’s generosity during a pipe show. It was a McB VA, about 40 years old but I’m thinking it was Symphony. Hm. It’s been a few years ago now. It was excellent.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:59 pm

~30 year old Presbyterian Mixture.
I’m not sure of the exact age, but it was tinned before German reunification in 1990.

It was, is, spectacular.

I’ve smoked 4 tins, I have 2 opened tins in jars (one at home and one at work), and 5 unopened tins remaining from a stash I inherited.

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:19 pm

When was Edgeworth discontinued? I'm pretty sure this was the oldest I've smoked. Whenever it was discontinued, it would obviously have to be at least that old. I've smoked a number of blends in the 5, 10, 15 year old range. I've never found one that was amazing. Good, but not the holy grail. I would note also that I've never smoked anything that old that was bad.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Oldest was a 30 year old Dunhill (can't remember the exact blend but generously provided by Eric aka ChildofGod aka Shellbriar) it was very undewhelming. Almost no real flavor.

Next oldest was a tin of at least 15 year old at the time Rattray's Dark Fragrant, that actually was very good. Might still have some of it sitting aound but sadly probably quite dried out at this point in time.

Feel like there is a sweet spot to aging and stuff does not age indefinitely.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:26 pm
I bought a sealed tub of Sugar Barrel that was decades old. The vendor wanted to give me a discount, just to get it off of his shelf. It was there when he bought the store, years ago.

It tasted just like fresh Sugar Barrel. No change. No improvement.... on the other hand, no degradation.
So it basically tasted of crayola crayons.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 pm

15 year Haddo's Delight.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:07 am

As I've waded into the 8 ounce tin of 2006 G.L Pease (Fog City Selection) Fillmore VA/Per it has become increasingly celestial. The Red Virginia is like honey dried fruit and the Perique has melded to the Virginia and has a perfect raisin-fig flavor. My last bowl last evening with my libation was so very good I'd have to say it is on par with the best McClelland I've had. So I've begun to purchase some 8 ounce Fillmore for the cellar.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 pm

I smoked some rehydrated 100 year old Prince Albert... it was okay, nothing special, still tasted like burley.

He was glad I let him out of the can though... having been sealed in there for 100 years.

I have two tins, one still sealed with a tax stamp from the early 1900’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:43 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 pm
I smoked some rehydrated 100 year old Prince Albert... it was okay, nothing special, still tasted like burley.

He was glad I let him out of the can though... having been sealed in there for 100 years.

Wow. Things one finds back in your parts. So "he" was glad to get out of the tin, huh? The ghost of Prince Albert?

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Goose55 wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

Wow. Things one finds back in your parts. So "he" was glad to get out of the tin, huh? The ghost of Prince Albert?
You’ve never heard the old joke? “Do y’all have Prince Albert in a can?”

“Yes we do”

“Let him out!”

Yuk yuk yuk

So anyway, this lady was selling them online awhile back really cheap, she tore down a wall in her home and found about 100 cans stuffed in the walls... she only wanted like $10 a can so I bought two.

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:47 pm
Goose55 wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

You’ve never heard the old joke? “Do y’all have Prince Albert in a can?”

“Yes we do”

“Let him out!”

Yuk yuk yuk

So anyway, this lady was selling them online awhile back really cheap, she tore down a wall in her home and found about 100 cans stuffed in the walls... she only wanted like $10 a can so I bought two.

The idea of cellar is nothing new!? Nothing new under the sun...
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 am

3 year old Prince Albert and 3 year old MacBarne Va. No.1
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:36 am

I've been fortunate to have found quite a few old UK tins.

My most recent find was over the summer.
Got a rather large lot for cheap:

...but quite a few of the tins had vacuum compromised so they were dry.
Pinholes are sad.
:(
I had 2 tins of Craven Curly Cut and one had pinholes and was dried:

Yet the other survived quite well!
:P

My review:
ImageImage

These little curlies are a living tribute to the industrial prowess of the UK tobacco industry -- almost perfectly formed, nearly paper thin, such precision, beautiful things they are and I wish there was somebody still around making this small style of curlies.

I stacked the 'dimes' like pancakes --- something I love doing whenever I'm lucky enough to get some of this older stuff made in this form, a technique prescribed in an old Three Nuns ad that I saw and it works very well.

Stacking them to photograph was slightly frustrating because it was like Jenga LOL and they'd all come tumbling down, finally got a decent enough shot and that'll do.
It was intensely fruity at the start of the bowl, almost as if the baccy had been cased in prune juice or something, it was wonderfully deep and incredibly smooth. By midbowl a very slight spiciness showed up but it didn't detract from the fruitiness and sort of complimented it, there was a very slight funk off around the edges but it was minimal and also somehow complimented the smoke --- it was full of character!

Toward the end after mid, the flavor faded rather quickly and became more of a nondescript smooth smoke, but I was totally delighted with the upper portions.

I noted that the ash was a copper color, I've experienced this before even with certain fresh young tobaccos,
but never in such a deeply colored manner:

They all had American tax stamps so they could be dated precisely,
like this pair of Cope's Escudo:

Series 119 which is 1949
Series 120 which is 1950

The 1950 tin fared much better than the '49 (which was a bit flat),
my review:

ImageImage

The 1950 edition is much more lively from the get-go, it survived well methinks and is robustly expressive.

I used the same old WDC Ripple Briar as I smoked the '49 in,
fold 'n stuffed.

I don't feel adept enough to try and delineate all the nuances, I'm just not familiar with Escudo or VaPers in general to be able to convey much coherent detail, instead I'll ramble about how this old baccy really lit my switch in a nearly psychoactive manner, how it made me feel --- like making my nipples hard, slowing my breath to a glacial pace, heavy lidded yet wide open eyes, really alive and blast'd to a pinpoint of total consciousness. It was as if time stood still, it was like a deep meditation, it was like a thousand butterflies exploding in the sun, it was like my ancestors reaching from beyond to hold my hand and tell me that everythings gonna be okay, it really was like spirit talk, it was like a movie in slow motion, it was an uplift under glorious wing, it was a pipedream made real, it was just smoke, a disappearing fog, but it was so much more, and words cannot touch what it really is, or what it really was.

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:05 pm

philofumo wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:36 am
I noted that the ash was a copper color, I've experienced this before even with certain fresh young tobaccos,
That is very unusual looking ash/ dottle there from the aged Craven Curly Cut.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Goose55 wrote:
philofumo wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:36 am
That is very unusual looking ash/ dottle there from the aged Craven Curly Cut.
Indeed... I wonder if the tobacco was moldy or something.