THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20336
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:32 pm

+JMJ+

Wearing a Trump hat? That’s not exactly pro-life, says Catholic Bishop John Stowe
Image
Lexington Bishop John Stowe washed feet of guests and volunteers at the new Catholic Action Center on Industry Road. The new center is set to open on Monday, April 17th.

by John Stowe

[...]

I am ashamed that the actions of Kentucky Catholic high school students have become a contradiction of the very reverence for human life that the march is supposed to manifest. As such, I believe that U.S. Catholics must take a look at how our support of the fundamental right to life has become separated from the even more basic truth of the dignity of each human person.

Without engaging the discussion about the context of the viral video or placing the blame entirely on these adolescents, it astonishes me that any students participating in a pro-life activity on behalf of their school and their Catholic faith could be wearing apparel sporting the slogans of a president who denigrates the lives of immigrants, refugees and people from countries that he describes with indecent words and haphazardly endangers with life-threatening policies.

We cannot uncritically ally ourselves with someone with whom we share the policy goal of ending abortion.

[...]

The pro-life movement claims that it wants more than the policy change of making abortion illegal, but aims to make it unthinkable. That would require deep changes in society and policies that would support those who find it difficult to afford children. The association of our young people with racist acts and a politics of hate must also become unthinkable.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25581
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm

" The association of our young people with racist acts and a politics of hate must also become unthinkable."
Then why did the bishop think about it? :confused:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19239
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm
" The association of our young people with racist acts and a politics of hate must also become unthinkable."
Then why did the bishop think about it? :confused:
I wondered why Wos hasnt posted the bishop's retraction and apology yet. The one where he said he was "bullied into it."

Ah. Careful choice of bishops. This isn’t Bishop Foys.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs
Posts: 39056
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm
" The association of our young people with racist acts and a politics of hate must also become unthinkable."
Then why did the bishop think about it? :confused:
I wondered why Wos hasnt posted the bishop's retraction and apology yet. The one where he said he was "bullied into it."

Ah. Careful choice of bishops. This isn’t Bishop Foys.
I wasn't sure why would Bishop Stowe think that he could insist that a MAGA hat stands for "racist acts and politics of hate" -- without looking like some paid Democrat spokesperson? Or a CNN political analyst?

I did a quick search on Bishop Stowe. I am no longer surprised
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19239
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:42 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm
" The association of our young people with racist acts and a politics of hate must also become unthinkable."
Then why did the bishop think about it? :confused:
I wondered why Wos hasnt posted the bishop's retraction and apology yet. The one where he said he was "bullied into it."

Ah. Careful choice of bishops. This isn’t Bishop Foys.
I wasn't sure why would Bishop Stowe think that he could insist that a MAGA hat stands for "racist acts and politics of hate" -- without looking like some paid Democrat spokesperson? Or a CNN political analyst?

I did a quick search on Bishop Stowe. I am no longer surprised
Here's the problem. If our bishops take strong stances on abortion or same sex attraction, vast portions of the country think of them as right-wing troglodytes, the spokesmen of the Republican party. To politically conservative Catholics, any sign of going against the Republican agenda is a sign the bishops are all pinko commie bastiges. They can't win.

If you ask me,and nobody has, the Church takes way too much money from the state and our leadership has become very concerned about maintaining government grants.

Even wild animals defend their children from predation. Nobody stood up for these kids. One bishop only backed down in the face of an impending libel suit. One mouthed off after the other "apologized."

Why anybody would send their kids to schools overseen by such poor administrators is beyond me. Kids from Covington Catholic are already having to deal with negatively influenced college admissions officers. Why not clam up on the theoretical front and fight for those kids? Instead, their Bishops are kicking them around like political footballs. Those kids have been failed by everyone.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs
Posts: 39056
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:42 pm
Del wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm
" The association of our young people with racist acts and a politics of hate must also become unthinkable."
Then why did the bishop think about it? :confused:
I wondered why Wos hasnt posted the bishop's retraction and apology yet. The one where he said he was "bullied into it."

Ah. Careful choice of bishops. This isn’t Bishop Foys.
I wasn't sure why would Bishop Stowe think that he could insist that a MAGA hat stands for "racist acts and politics of hate" -- without looking like some paid Democrat spokesperson? Or a CNN political analyst?

I did a quick search on Bishop Stowe. I am no longer surprised
Here's the problem. If our bishops take strong stances on abortion or same sex attraction, vast portions of the country think of them as right-wing troglodytes, the spokesmen of the Republican party. To politically conservative Catholics, any sign of going against the Republican agenda is a sign the bishops are all pinko commie bastiges. They can't win.

If you ask me,and nobody has, the Church takes way too much money from the state and our leadership has become very concerned about maintaining government grants.

Even wild animals defend their children from predation. Nobody stood up for these kids. One bishop only backed down in the face of an impending libel suit. One mouthed off after the other "apologized."

Why anybody would send their kids to schools overseen by such poor administrators is beyond me. Kids from Covington Catholic are already having to deal with negatively influenced college admissions officers. Why not clam up on the theoretical front and fight for those kids? Instead, their Bishops are kicking them around like political footballs. Those kids have been failed by everyone.
That's what bothers me the most.

If a bishop wants to talk about a consistent ethic of life, and how both major political parties fail... that's a good lesson.

But these abused young men from Covington Catholic are innocent.... praiseworthy, even, for their good behavior in the face of aggressively ill-mannered adults. They are poster children now for the movement to resist fake news and knee-jerk rushes to judgment.

And yet the bishop of a neighboring diocese is still piling scorn on them. And only because he is triggered by a MAGA hat.

What sort of bishop would abuse teenage boys like that? Ohhh....
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25581
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:54 pm

Something is rotten in the state of Kentucky.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19239
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:38 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:42 pm
Del wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm
" The association of our young people with racist acts and a politics of hate must also become unthinkable."
Then why did the bishop think about it? :confused:
I wondered why Wos hasnt posted the bishop's retraction and apology yet. The one where he said he was "bullied into it."

Ah. Careful choice of bishops. This isn’t Bishop Foys.
I wasn't sure why would Bishop Stowe think that he could insist that a MAGA hat stands for "racist acts and politics of hate" -- without looking like some paid Democrat spokesperson? Or a CNN political analyst?

I did a quick search on Bishop Stowe. I am no longer surprised
Here's the problem. If our bishops take strong stances on abortion or same sex attraction, vast portions of the country think of them as right-wing troglodytes, the spokesmen of the Republican party. To politically conservative Catholics, any sign of going against the Republican agenda is a sign the bishops are all pinko commie bastiges. They can't win.

If you ask me,and nobody has, the Church takes way too much money from the state and our leadership has become very concerned about maintaining government grants.

Even wild animals defend their children from predation. Nobody stood up for these kids. One bishop only backed down in the face of an impending libel suit. One mouthed off after the other "apologized."

Why anybody would send their kids to schools overseen by such poor administrators is beyond me. Kids from Covington Catholic are already having to deal with negatively influenced college admissions officers. Why not clam up on the theoretical front and fight for those kids? Instead, their Bishops are kicking them around like political footballs. Those kids have been failed by everyone.
That's what bothers me the most.

If a bishop wants to talk about a consistent ethic of life, and how both major political parties fail... that's a good lesson.

But these abused young men from Covington Catholic are innocent.... praiseworthy, even, for their good behavior in the face of aggressively ill-mannered adults. They are poster children now for the movement to resist fake news and knee-jerk rushes to judgment.

And yet the bishop of a neighboring diocese is still piling scorn on them. And only because he is triggered by a MAGA hat.

What sort of bishop would abuse teenage boys like that? Ohhh....
Yeah, I don't think you get quite where I'm coming from. TO me, those kids aren't heroes and they aren't evil, either. That bishop that you want to attack for being "pro-gay" (what's "pro gay"?) isn't wrong, either. Those kids don't have free speech and there's no way in hell's half acre that a wise chaperone would have let the little bastiges wear the hats. It's like putting a target on a kid's head. Wisdom says don't. I agree that they're praiseworthy for keeping their cool, but they never should have been placed in a position where they would foreseeably be attacked, either.

Catholics should know better than to court scandal. That's my problem with the Bishop and with the kids. It's time to close ranks and protect the little so and sos, not court scandal in the media.

I'm stunned that a Franciscan has a case of the yaps. It's probably time for me to unplug from the Catholic news as it's all becoming so politicized and focus on getting my own house in order. By buying into the US vs them, orthodoxy vs heresiarchy stuff flying around the interwebs, all of it raising ad revenues for somebody, I should probably focus on my own log in the eye.

None of this is an attack on you or Wosbald or anybody else, but I don't think this is my fight. My fight is to lead a moral life and uphold my faith obligations, to obey, and to focus on the Four Last Things. I see to much Gray to allow me to pick a side.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs
Posts: 39056
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Yeah, I don't think you get quite where I'm coming from. TO me, those kids aren't heroes and they aren't evil, either. That bishop that you want to attack for being "pro-gay" (what's "pro gay"?) isn't wrong, either. Those kids don't have free speech and there's no way in hell's half acre that a wise chaperone would have let the little bastiges wear the hats. It's like putting a target on a kid's head. Wisdom says don't. I agree that they're praiseworthy for keeping their cool, but they never should have been placed in a position where they would foreseeably be attacked, either.

Catholics should know better than to court scandal. That's my problem with the Bishop and with the kids. It's time to close ranks and protect the little so and sos, not court scandal in the media.

I'm stunned that a Franciscan has a case of the yaps. It's probably time for me to unplug from the Catholic news as it's all becoming so politicized and focus on getting my own house in order. By buying into the US vs them, orthodoxy vs heresiarchy stuff flying around the interwebs, all of it raising ad revenues for somebody, I should probably focus on my own log in the eye.

None of this is an attack on you or Wosbald or anybody else, but I don't think this is my fight. My fight is to lead a moral life and uphold my faith obligations, to obey, and to focus on the Four Last Things. I see to much Gray to allow me to pick a side.
I agree about the chaperones. They should have gotten those kids away from the rowdy instigators, instead of allowing the kids to respond with pep rally chants. But the chaperones were probably just a few volunteer parents from Kentucky who -- like the kids -- had never encountered professional provocateurs before.

March For Life warns people how to avoid confrontation with pro-abortion activists. But next year, I'm pretty sure that a lot of instruction will go out to Marchers about how to avoid provocateurs of all sorts.
===================

I have been doing a fair amount of unplugging, myself. Keeping up with the news cycle isn't entertaining anymore. They really push the idea that politics is vitally important to your personal life, and it's easy to get sucked into that lie.

And news stories spin so fast anymore, it's prudent to just wait a couple of days for the fake stuff to sort itself out. Meanwhile.... do something worthwhile. On Sunday, I made a duck/sausage/oyster gumbo.
===================

Anyhow, Bishop Stowe is a scandal. I guess every generation needs another Rembert Weakland, for some reason.

I am thankful that several Kentucky Bishops have expressed apologies and support for the undeserved scorn and hate thrown at these high schoolers.

I kinda wish that there were at least one elected Democrat who would speak out about how badly the boys were treated.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19239
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 am

Del wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Yeah, I don't think you get quite where I'm coming from. TO me, those kids aren't heroes and they aren't evil, either. That bishop that you want to attack for being "pro-gay" (what's "pro gay"?) isn't wrong, either. Those kids don't have free speech and there's no way in hell's half acre that a wise chaperone would have let the little bastiges wear the hats. It's like putting a target on a kid's head. Wisdom says don't. I agree that they're praiseworthy for keeping their cool, but they never should have been placed in a position where they would foreseeably be attacked, either.

Catholics should know better than to court scandal. That's my problem with the Bishop and with the kids. It's time to close ranks and protect the little so and sos, not court scandal in the media.

I'm stunned that a Franciscan has a case of the yaps. It's probably time for me to unplug from the Catholic news as it's all becoming so politicized and focus on getting my own house in order. By buying into the US vs them, orthodoxy vs heresiarchy stuff flying around the interwebs, all of it raising ad revenues for somebody, I should probably focus on my own log in the eye.

None of this is an attack on you or Wosbald or anybody else, but I don't think this is my fight. My fight is to lead a moral life and uphold my faith obligations, to obey, and to focus on the Four Last Things. I see to much Gray to allow me to pick a side.
I agree about the chaperones. They should have gotten those kids away from the rowdy instigators, instead of allowing the kids to respond with pep rally chants. But the chaperones were probably just a few volunteer parents from Kentucky who -- like the kids -- had never encountered professional provocateurs before.

March For Life warns people how to avoid confrontation with pro-abortion activists. But next year, I'm pretty sure that a lot of instruction will go out to Marchers about how to avoid provocateurs of all sorts.
===================

I have been doing a fair amount of unplugging, myself. Keeping up with the news cycle isn't entertaining anymore. They really push the idea that politics is vitally important to your personal life, and it's easy to get sucked into that lie.

And news stories spin so fast anymore, it's prudent to just wait a couple of days for the fake stuff to sort itself out. Meanwhile.... do something worthwhile. On Sunday, I made a duck/sausage/oyster gumbo.
Gumbo sounds good. I roasted a chicken yesterday, but that’s not gumbo.

Thanks for everything, my friend.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25581
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am


I kinda wish that there were at least one elected Democrat who would speak out about how badly the boys were treated.
The Botox Chihuahua from California ain't gonna do that.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs
Posts: 39056
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 pm
Del wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am


I kinda wish that there were at least one elected Democrat who would speak out about how badly the boys were treated.
The Botox Chihuahua from California ain't gonna do that.
It doesn't have to be some famous mug. Even a state rep from Covington, KY or nearby district would be nice.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20336
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:18 pm

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackback: #1


Bishop Stowe criticizes Trump, urges broader pro-life agenda
Image
Bishop John E. Stowe of Lexington, Ky., prays over a migrant worker following Mass in 2016. (CNS photo/Catholic New World/Karen Callaway)

A Kentucky bishop stands by his criticism of some abortion activists' support of President Donald Trump, whom he considers "not pro-life" because of a lack of consistency on life issues such as racism, immigration and the environment.

Although some activists take a broader approach, others "narrowly define the pro-life agenda to just abortion," said Bishop John Stowe of Lexington, Kentucky. "That's not what pro-life is."

In a Jan. 23 op-ed in the Lexington Herald-Leader, Stowe said Trump hats — such as the MAGA (Make America Great Again) ones worn by Covington Catholic High School students — are not pro-life, since they imply support for a president "who denigrates the lives of immigrants, refugees and people from countries that [Trump] describes with indecent words and haphazardly endangers with life-threatening policies."

The newspaper column received widespread coverage and some criticism, but Stowe told NCR he saw it as a "teaching opportunity" to challenge a narrow pro-life view.

"I know Catholics who are pro-life in the fullest sense of the word," he said. "But too often the pro-life movement has been coopted by a particular party."

[…]

Stowe had expressed a similar concern before the march, in his regular column in the Lexington diocesan newspaper. While saying he was "encouraged" by young people from the diocese who attend the march, he said "our reverence for life cannot be limited to life in the womb, as obviously important as that is."

"It is frustrating when people who strongly advocate the anti-abortion cause fail to see the protection of the environment as a pro-life issue, or do not criticize the separation of children from their parents at the southern border of the United States, or do not see how curtailing health benefits for segments of the population ends up hurting so many children for whom they advocated during the time when they were in the womb," he wrote.

Stowe said his pro-life views have been inspired by Pope Francis as well as the late Cardinal Joseph Bernardin's "seamless garment" approach.

As episcopal president of Pax Christi USA, Stowe has seen a broader pro-life commitment to peacemaking, disarmament and anti-racism among its members, he said.

"Pro-life is about the dignity and reverence for the human person," Stowe told NCR, citing Francis' directive to "reach out to those in the margins."

That includes lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people for Stowe, who sees LGBT people in the church as "certainly marginalized."

In 2017, Stowe gave homiletic reflections during prayer services at the annual symposium sponsored by New Ways Ministry, which offers outreach to LGBT Catholics. This weekend, he will lead a retreat for LGBTQ students at the University of Notre Dame. Both appearances have drawn criticism from more conservative Catholics. He is also the ecclesial advisor to the executive director of Fortunate Families.

Trump voters in Kentucky — some who hoped for anti-abortion judicial appointments, others who supported him in hopes of revitalization of the coal industry — seems to remain committed to the president, Stowe said.

"It seems to be whatever you decided you support, you're stuck with," he said.

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25581
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm

wosbald wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:18 pm
+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackback: #1


Bishop Stowe criticizes Trump, urges broader pro-life agenda
Image
Bishop John E. Stowe of Lexington, Ky., prays over a migrant worker following Mass in 2016. (CNS photo/Catholic New World/Karen Callaway)

A Kentucky bishop stands by his criticism of some abortion activists' support of President Donald Trump, whom he considers "not pro-life" because of a lack of consistency on life issues such as racism, immigration and the environment.

Although some activists take a broader approach, others "narrowly define the pro-life agenda to just abortion," said Bishop John Stowe of Lexington, Kentucky. "That's not what pro-life is."

In a Jan. 23 op-ed in the Lexington Herald-Leader, Stowe said Trump hats — such as the MAGA (Make America Great Again) ones worn by Covington Catholic High School students — are not pro-life, since they imply support for a president "who denigrates the lives of immigrants, refugees and people from countries that [Trump] describes with indecent words and haphazardly endangers with life-threatening policies."

The newspaper column received widespread coverage and some criticism, but Stowe told NCR he saw it as a "teaching opportunity" to challenge a narrow pro-life view.

"I know Catholics who are pro-life in the fullest sense of the word," he said. "But too often the pro-life movement has been coopted by a particular party."

[…]

Stowe had expressed a similar concern before the march, in his regular column in the Lexington diocesan newspaper. While saying he was "encouraged" by young people from the diocese who attend the march, he said "our reverence for life cannot be limited to life in the womb, as obviously important as that is."

"It is frustrating when people who strongly advocate the anti-abortion cause fail to see the protection of the environment as a pro-life issue, or do not criticize the separation of children from their parents at the southern border of the United States, or do not see how curtailing health benefits for segments of the population ends up hurting so many children for whom they advocated during the time when they were in the womb," he wrote.

Stowe said his pro-life views have been inspired by Pope Francis as well as the late Cardinal Joseph Bernardin's "seamless garment" approach.

As episcopal president of Pax Christi USA, Stowe has seen a broader pro-life commitment to peacemaking, disarmament and anti-racism among its members, he said.

"Pro-life is about the dignity and reverence for the human person," Stowe told NCR, citing Francis' directive to "reach out to those in the margins."

That includes lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people for Stowe, who sees LGBT people in the church as "certainly marginalized."

In 2017, Stowe gave homiletic reflections during prayer services at the annual symposium sponsored by New Ways Ministry, which offers outreach to LGBT Catholics. This weekend, he will lead a retreat for LGBTQ students at the University of Notre Dame. Both appearances have drawn criticism from more conservative Catholics. He is also the ecclesial advisor to the executive director of Fortunate Families.

Trump voters in Kentucky — some who hoped for anti-abortion judicial appointments, others who supported him in hopes of revitalization of the coal industry — seems to remain committed to the president, Stowe said.

"It seems to be whatever you decided you support, you're stuck with," he said.

[…]
Yeah. Something is definitely rotten in the state of Kentucky.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19239
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm

Hov,

If you get a minute, would you enlighten me on what's rotten? Not arguing, just want some perspective. I read that article and didn't vomit. I don't think Jesus was a Republican. I think gays are one of the hardest issues facing the Church today because there has to be a nicer way of dealing with them than most of us (me included...i dehumanize them) and I know it would be really hard for me not to bonk. I've been married for a long time and it's still hard.

That said, I'm more orthodox than the fellow, but he's a Franciscan. They have Brother Bull and Sister Death, you know? He's kinda supposed to be a little kooky.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25581
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:34 pm

What perplexes me is the Bishop seems to trivialize "pro-Life" by including other issues under the banner.
LGBTs are considered a protected class (correct me if I'm in error) just as children are. But infants in the womb---if the laws in NY and Virginia are harbingers---are losing what little perilous protected status they have. The Bishop is offering an asymmetrical argument, to wit : don't fight for that hill(pro-life) unless the LGBTs are served. Only the LGBT community isn't being aborted. Asymmetrical arguments strike me as little more than smoke and mirrors.
This on top of throwing the Covington high school kids under the bus.
But it seems to play well with the Press.
FWIW, I'm ticked off at Cardinal Dolan, too.
There's no end to the fun!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19239
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks, sir. I can understand your point. I've always disliked the term "pro-Life" for much the same reason as the Bishop. Pro-Life means just that...an affirmation of all life, and to my mind it has less cache than say, "Baby Lovers" or "Defenders of the Unborn." I've never liked it because, poor sinner that I am, there are fellows I'd kill with my bare hands if i got a chance, but boy, I love me some babies. In other words, not being pro ALL LIFE, I've never considered myself pro-life.

I get what you're saying about the LGBTQSJ's. I'm not sure where I stand, but I understand your point.

Dolan's Irish. It isnt his fault. Did you see what the poor dumb bastiges did to Catholic Ireland? They cant help it...whiskey and too much food and a dumb grin, having a big old party while the house burns down. I suspect he's a decent guy, but being in charge of NYC is an insurmountable task for anyone.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25581
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 am

What the Bishop seems to nuance is being Pro-Snowflake. Appropriate for the season, I guess.
Pro-Life demonstrations aren't for Snowflakes.
Been there, done that, taken my lumps on the West Coast Walk.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns
Posts: 28852
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:00 pm

I've found a new single decade rosary shop. I'll let y'all know.

I need to get a missal.

There's a Deacon here that does all sorts of kind of neat things.

Wonder if he smokes a pipe. I'll let y'all know.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19239
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:37 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:00 pm
I've found a new single decade rosary shop. I'll let y'all know.

I need to get a missal.

There's a Deacon here that does all sorts of kind of neat things.

Wonder if he smokes a pipe. I'll let y'all know.
PM please
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Post Reply