Surveys About Millennials

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Re: Surveys About Millennials

Post by Bloodhound » Thu May 03, 2018 3:14 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 pm
If you guys don't mind, we were having a very productive conversation about Cap'n Crunch cereals here.
Peanutbutter Cap'n Crunch with Chocolate Milk! It is magical!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 pm

A Third of Young Millennials Are Confused About This Incontrovertible Fact
Only 66 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds in the U.S. are confident that the world is round, according to a new national survey.

The findings don't necessarily indicate an epidemic of flat-Earthism, as only 4 percent of the 18- to 24-year-old age group said they actually believe the world is flat. Rather, there seem to be a relatively large number in this age group who are willing to entertain doubts: 9 percent said they had always believed the world was round but were recently having doubts, 5 percent said they had always believed the world was flat but were becoming skeptical of that conclusion and 16 percent just weren't sure.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Jester
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Jester » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 pm
A Third of Young Millennials Are Confused About This Incontrovertible Fact
Only 66 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds in the U.S. are confident that the world is round, according to a new national survey.

The findings don't necessarily indicate an epidemic of flat-Earthism, as only 4 percent of the 18- to 24-year-old age group said they actually believe the world is flat. Rather, there seem to be a relatively large number in this age group who are willing to entertain doubts: 9 percent said they had always believed the world was round but were recently having doubts, 5 percent said they had always believed the world was flat but were becoming skeptical of that conclusion and 16 percent just weren't sure.
The voting age should be raised to 26.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation

Post by artsygeek » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:07 am

The most predictive demographic factor that explains flat-Earth belief appears to be religion, the YouGov survey suggested. According to the results, 52 percent of those who said the world was flat also called themselves "very religious," a descriptor that only 20 percent of Americans as a whole use for themselves. 
Well, as a retired political professional (with polls being one of my areas of work), the "I have *always* [emphasis mine] believed the earth is round" rising higher and higher among age cohorts seems indicative of folks being less honest as they get older or simply forgetting the timespan in which they believed the earth to be flat. Most folks will naturally believe it at some point unless they didn't consider the issue until education raised the issue and convinced them.

I'll try to look for the raw data because "very religious" being a high number in folks on that younger age range would make me discount just about all of their polls because just about all of us know that it should be a pretty small number for that age cohort if they're answering honestly and not just messing with the company. Most reliable opinion companies will release all of their numbers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4

artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation

Post by artsygeek » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:34 am

In fact, as I look at the poll, the question's poorly written because they don't have something like "I once thought the earth is flat but I changed my mind long ago" (as just one example).

As for the data, they include a link to a pdf file that shows correlation between a person's religion rating and their beliefs on the issue, but nothing that say shows how many on the youngest end rate themselves as "very religious" or how many people fell into any of the demographic groups. It strikes me as an assault on religious belief disguised as a "these crazy youngins" poll.

One other thing I'll add...A Scientific American blog post sheds some light on some of the problems with the poll (including the fact that the polling company refused to answer some of their questions) and Science Alert also sheds important some light on problems with the poll's methodology.

"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 pm

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH