THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:44 am

+JMJ+

St. Paul VI’s feast to be celebrated May 29
Pope Paul VI is pictured next to Carmelite Sister Lucia dos Santos, one of the three Fatima visionaries, during a visit to the Marian shrine in Fatima, Portugal, May 13, 1967. (Credit: NS photo/courtesy Diocese of Brescia.[)

ROME — The Vatican announced Wednesday that Pope St. Paul VI’s feast day will be celebrated annually on May 29 as an optional memorial.

“Before and after becoming Pope, Saint Paul VI lived with his gaze constantly fixed on Christ whom he considered and proclaimed as a necessity for everyone,” Cardinal Robert Sarah, prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship, commented on the papal decree.

With this declaration, published Feb. 6, the pope who guided the Church through the Second Vatican Council will have his memorial inserted into the renewed General Roman Calendar and liturgical books that he promulgated in 1969.

The date of the memorial, May 29, is significant in that it is the ordination anniversary of Paul VI - then Giovanni Battista Montini - to the priesthood in 1920. Just four years later, Montini began his service to the Holy See, serving both Pope Pius XI and Pius XII. He was made Archbishop of Milan and then a cardinal before being elected pope in 1963.

“A saint is someone who brings divine grace to fruition in what they do, conforming their own life to Christ, Pope Saint Paul VI did this by responding to the call to holiness as a Baptized Christian, as a priest, as a Bishop, and Pope, and he now contemplates the face of God,” Sarah wrote.

The feast day for canonized saints is typically chosen as the date of their death, or “birth to eternal life,” Sarah explained, but Paul VI died on August 6, 1978, a date which is already celebrated in the Church as the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord.

[…]
==========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Booze, cigars and a halo? Chesterton sainthood cause awaits approval
(Credit: G.K. Chesterton. Public Domain via CNA)

ROME — A leading scholar behind the push to advance the canonization of celebrated writer G.K. Chesterton has published a new book making a case for the sainthood of the “prolific” 20th century author, hitting back at critics who see him as unsuited for a halo.

Dale Ahlquist, president of the American Chesterton Society and the Society of Gilbert Keith Chesterton, in December 2018 published Knight of the Holy Ghost, which explores Chesterton’s life and writings and responds to arguments from those who say he was too fat, drank too much, smoked too much and harbored anti-Semitic sentiments.

In comments to Crux, Ahlquist said when people think of Chesterton, they often ask themselves, “How is it that a 300-pound cigar-smoking London journalist could be a saint? He doesn’t fit the image of a saint, because of his amazing size and that halo of smoke around his head.”

However, while the famed author might not fit the bill of pious saints of the past who prayed their way into heaven in monasteries and convents, he exhibited heroic humility, Ahlquist said. In his view, Chesterton was “a great genius who really had the ability to annihilate his opponents if he wanted to, but he always treated them with charity.”

“He always gave everyone the benefit of the doubt. He never flaunted his great genius, but he always made everyone feel better about themselves,” he said, and voiced hope that Chesterton’s cause for sainthood, which recently finished the initial stages, would soon move forward.

[…]

The main stumbling blocks, he said, are accusations of anti-Semitism and a lack of temperance, as Chesterton was a large man who smoked and drank a lot, and who died after the Nazi party had already risen to power in Germany but before the Holocaust.

Calling Chesterton anti-Semitic is “a very tragic portrayal, because it’s simply not true,” Ahlquist said, and insisted that despite Chesterton’s size, he was no glutton. Rather, he said, most accounts of Chesterton’s life suggest that he ate little, meaning he likely had a glandular condition that caused him to gain weight.

“As for his drinking, it was all very convivial, he wasn’t a solitary drinker, he wasn’t a drunk, but he defended drinking at the time of prohibition,” Ahlquist said, adding that this last detail “has to be remembered, he was fighting against the puritans.”

In Ahlquist’s view, Chesterton was “prophetic” in his writings, speaking to a modern crisis in politics, education, economics and the at-times troubled relationship between family and state, despite having died nearly 100 years ago.

“He really had a handle on a Catholic interpretation of the modern world. The other thing is that he really represents a joyful Christian. He really has a wit and joy that he brings to the faith,” Ahlquist said, and compared Chesterton to 15th century martyr St. Thomas More.

In addition to sharing Chesterton’s humor and intelligence, “More is more important now than he was in his own time, and he’ll be more important in the future than he is now,” Ahlquist said, adding that he expects the same dynamic will be true of Chesterton.

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:04 am

Now that we’ve canonized the Spirit of Vatican II, perhaps we can immediately make Bugnini a Saint? Surely there’s room for Judas, too. This is no time to make it something that’s only for Catholics.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:27 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:04 am
Now that we’ve canonized the Spirit of Vatican II, perhaps we can immediately make Bugnini a Saint? Surely there’s room for Judas, too. This is no time to make it something that’s only for Catholics.
Can we canonize a Bugatti instead of Bugnini? Image
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:31 pm

+JMJ+

Has moral theology left Catholic tradition behind? [In-Depth]
Photo by Roman Kraft on Unsplash

Charlie Camosy is a moral theologian at Fordham University specializing in bioethics. He recently wrote an article assessing the state of Catholic moral theology in the United States for the University of Notre Dame’s Church Life Journal. Tom Elitz, S.J., interviewed Mr. Camosy about “The Crisis of Catholic Moral Theology” for The Jesuit Post.

In your recent article, you talk about intersectional critical theory and how it has come to dominate moral theology at this point. Just for a little bit of background on that, could you elaborate on what intersectional critical theory is?

First let me say that it would be more precise to say that it is ascendant overall in moral theology and in some places it has become dominant, especially among younger moral theologians. And I do not think they all agree on what it is.

But maybe at a baseline, intersectional critical theory focuses on something like the interrelated systems of power that cause vulnerable populations to suffer injustice. Vulnerable populations would include African-Americans, L.G.B.T. persons, the disabled, immigrants and refugees, indigenous peoples, women, etc., and the unjust systems of power often related to those populations — which are racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, neo-colonialist, patriarchal, etc. So intersectional critical theory, at a baseline, connects all those together and works at the intersection of those injustices.

So your concern seems to be the use of it to the exclusion of other types of moral theory in some circles. What is it about this that you would see as an issue?

Before I criticize it, let me just say good things about it. …

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:26 am

It's time to suppress the Jesuits again.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:08 am

Watsonville, CA Catholic church vandalized :(
https://youtu.be/ke4_LjjCtiI
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:00 pm
I've found a new single decade rosary shop. I'll let y'all know.
<snip>

Tigers eye and copper. 10mm.

Snail mail.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:00 pm
I've found a new single decade rosary shop. I'll let y'all know.
<snip>

Tigers eye and copper. 10mm.

Snail mail.
Well, if that isnt a pretty thing.... I'm going to go check out the shop.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 pm

A new rosary just arrived at my door. Same as the ones issued to the Swiss GuardImage

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:07 pm

I can't take a pic of this worth anything. It's beautiful. I was worried about the Our Father bead being blue but, for no reason.

My usual Rosary preference has a little chain slack, this one is tighter. It kinks a little. But, I think it just needs to be blessed and then used to break it in.

I say excellent. Forgive my crummy pic skills.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:20 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:07 pm

I can't take a pic of this worth anything. It's beautiful. I was worried about the Our Father bead being blue but, for no reason.

My usual Rosary preference has a little chain slack, this one is tighter. It kinks a little. But, I think it just needs to be blessed and then used to break it in.

I say excellent. Forgive my crummy pic skills.
That's very handsome. I'm going to have to get a single decade.

Is that strung or on a chain?

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:44 am

Vatican Officially Defrocks McCarrick

This should generate some useful discussion as the world's bishops meet this week.

I hope.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:32 am

Del wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:44 am

This should generate some useful discussion as the world's bishops meet this week.

I hope.
:signofcross:

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:30 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:32 am
Del wrote:

I hope.
Nah. Window dressing. His roommate is the new Cardinal Camerlengo. Bishop Wuerl is still running Washington. Cupich is still there. Dolan ate all the sausages off the buffet.

And they'll all be talking about pedophilia, not the grooming of sexually mature minors, so you know it's going to really address the problem. I bet they'll come up with zero tolerance.

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:30 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:32 am
Del wrote:

I hope.
Nah. Window dressing. His roommate is the new Cardinal Camerlengo. Bishop Wuerl is still running Washington. Cupich is still there. Dolan ate all the sausages off the buffet.

And they'll all be talking about pedophilia, not the grooming of sexually mature minors, so you know it's going to really address the problem. I bet they'll come up with zero tolerance.
Wuerl and Cupich and Dolan are first world problems.

Bishops from Africa and South America will have their say at the council.

I know that the nobility want to make this about protecting children, ignoring the grand problem of a homosexual cabal among the hierarchy.... but the Holy Spirit hasn't been pushed aside entirely. (We aren't Southern Baptists, after all.)

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 pm

Francis tagged Cupich to speak at the Vatican Abuse Summit.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/cardi ... n-summit-o
What the heck is that all about anyway?

Jocosoe
A sock puppet that can't relate
A sock puppet that can't relate

Post by Jocosoe » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:00 am

I can't relate™.
..prepare to be ostracized-TNLP

"I say, Wos: are ypou available for cabaret or kids' parties?" - huddsbaggie

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:22 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 pm
Francis tagged Cupich to speak at the Vatican Abuse Summit.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/cardi ... n-summit-o
What the heck is that all about anyway?
On the surface, it appears that summit conference this is not going to be about anything. It looks like they are trying to avoid talking about the real elephant in the room: that sub-culture of homosexuality among the clergy and bishops.

I wonder if one of these speakers might open the conference to this important matter:
Charles J. Scicluna, Archbishop of Malta and Adjunct Secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith: “Church as field hospital. Taking responsibility.”

Card. Rubén Salazar Gómez, Archbishop of Bogotà (Colombia) and President of the Latin American Episcopal Council (CELAM): “The Church in a moment of crisis - Facing conflicts and tensions and acting decisively.”

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:55 pm

+JMJ+

Measure would lift confessional seal if penitent confesses to abuse
Under California state Democratic Sen. Jerry Hill's new bill, Catholic priests would be required to tell civil authorities if they learn in confession that the penitent has sexually abused someone. (Credit: CNS photo/Mike Stechschulte, The Michigan Catholic)

SACRAMENTO, California — Under California state Democratic Sen. Jerry Hill’s new bill, Catholic priests would be “mandatory reporters” if a person confesses to them they have sexually abused someone.

Under current state law, the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act, “makes certain persons, including clergy, mandated reporters.” When clergy and other individuals, like therapists, “within their professional capacity, or within the scope of their employment,” have reason to believe someone is the victim of child abuse or neglect, the law says they are required to report it to the appropriate civil authorities.

This law makes an exception if clergy learn of abuse or neglect “during a penitential communication.

Hill’s measure, “Removing Clergy Exemption from Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting,” would delete that exception and require clergy to report what they hear in confession as it relates to abuse.

“Inserting government into the confessional does nothing to protect children and everything to erode the fundamental constitutional rights and liberties we enjoy as Americans,” Steve Pehanich, director of communications and advocacy for the California Catholic Conference, told the Los Angeles Times.

Hill said in a statement that there should be “no exceptions, period,” claiming that “the exemption for clergy only protects the abuser and places children at further risk.”

[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:53 am

+JMJ+

French bishops urge mobilization against increasing anti-Semitism
People attend a national gathering in Strasbourg, France, Feb. 19, 2019, to protest anti-Semitic attacks. (CNS/Vincent Kessler/Reuters)

Paris — The French bishops' conference has condemned rising anti-Semitism in the country, as official data showed a massive increase of attacks, prompting new government measures.

The conference president, Archbishop Georges Pontier of Marseille, wrote France's chief rabbi, Haim Korsia, Feb. 20.

"Attacks from seemingly religious motives on our fellow citizens are unacceptable; we stand beside you in struggling against every manifestation of hatred," Pontier said in his letter.

"Our society cannot find peace unless it supports a constructive dialogue among all its members. May we never resign ourselves to the growth of intolerance and rejection," he said.

In Paris Feb. 19, some 20,000 people rallied against anti-Semitism, prompting President Emmanuel Macron to announce new measures against extremism.

Msgr. Olivier Dumas, conference secretary-general, called on all political parties and faith groups to "show solidarity with Jews" and condemn attacks on religious targets.

"This climate of violence and hatred must end," he told Vatican Radio. "We must wage a struggle against anti-Semitism with fierce determination, knowing where hatred of Jews led in our history, and do everything to ensure powerful impulses for such unimaginable violence never arise again."

He said fighting anti-Semitism was a responsibility "not just for institutions and religious leaders, but for all French citizens," who should mobilize through education and "a permanent re-reading of history."

[…]

In a separate Feb. 18 statement, the bishops' conference pledged "seamless support for the Jewish community," and recalled Pope Francis' call for "joint work to ensure anti-Semitism is banished from the human community."

It added that France's Christian churches had also witnessed "numerous acts of vandalism and profanation," and said "signs of hatred in the heart of society" called for "a leap of fraternity."

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco