Television Adventures

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 17022
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Television Adventures

Post by Kerdy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:36 am

It has been several years since I bought a new television. Since our oldest Kerdlette has married and moved out, we turned her room into a space for my wife. Painted, put in an area rug, installed a futon and started to decorate a little in the theme Mrs. Kerdy wanted. For several weeks Mrs. Kerdy has told me she wanted a television in that room so she could watch what she wanted to watch (right now it’s a show called Heartland) without interruption. I watch stuff on the computer and the youngest Kerdlette watches the television in the living room.

The point here is, I walked into Best Buy and boy, oh boy, has television changed. Some of them are so amazing it’s ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the prices. Corner stone name brands and brands I never knew existed. We finally settled on this years entry level Smart 4K HD TV by Samsung. While I understand what the guy there was telling me about the TV, almost none of the bells or whistles mean much to me. I now have to learn a new system (we have been using Roku) and picture/sound quality is all I really care about. The TV apparently was designed for gamers, but the price was right and we got it. I couldn’t see paying over a $1000 for a TV no matter how good it was, and I didn’t, not even close.

I must be getting old because it all seemed a little pointless. Why? Well, the TV can be connected to Google Home, Echo, Alexa, etc. He told me he walks into his house and tells the computer what he wants and bam, lights come on, AC changes temps, TV comes on and turns to whatever channel he wants. The first thing I thought of when he said this was, “Are you really that lazy?” Oh, well. I hope the TV lasts awhile. I won’t be connecting any of the Corporate Overlord privacy invasion devices in my house, so I will have to still get up and turn lights on/off. I suppose I just an old fashioned sort.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing
Posts: 8938
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Television Adventures

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 am

Kerdy wrote:It has been several years since I bought a new television. Since our oldest Kerdlette has married and moved out, we turned her room into a space for my wife. Painted, put in an area rug, installed a futon and started to decorate a little in the theme Mrs. Kerdy wanted. For several weeks Mrs. Kerdy has told me she wanted a television in that room so she could watch what she wanted to watch (right now it’s a show called Heartland) without interruption. I watch stuff on the computer and the youngest Kerdlette watches the television in the living room.

The point here is, I walked into Best Buy and boy, oh boy, has television changed. Some of them are so amazing it’s ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the prices. Corner stone name brands and brands I never knew existed. We finally settled on this years entry level Smart 4K HD TV by Samsung. While I understand what the guy there was telling me about the TV, almost none of the bells or whistles mean much to me. I now have to learn a new system (we have been using Roku) and picture/sound quality is all I really care about. The TV apparently was designed for gamers, but the price was right and we got it. I couldn’t see paying over a $1000 for a TV no matter how good it was, and I didn’t, not even close.

I must be getting old because it all seemed a little pointless. Why? Well, the TV can be connected to Google Home, Echo, Alexa, etc. He told me he walks into his house and tells the computer what he wants and bam, lights come on, AC changes temps, TV comes on and turns to whatever channel he wants. The first thing I thought of when he said this was, “Are you really that lazy?” Oh, well. I hope the TV lasts awhile. I won’t be connecting any of the Corporate Overlord privacy invasion devices in my house, so I will have to still get up and turn lights on/off. I suppose I just an old fashioned sort.
They are doing some amazing things with TVs today. I won’t own an Alexa or anything like that. However, I do like having the ability to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime through the apps on the TV. I’m wanting our next TV to be capable of connecting to my Sirius XM account. We play music in the background when we have company over for supper and play cards.


Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25777
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Television Adventures

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:19 am

Kerdy wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:36 am


I must be getting old
Getting old is good. Beats the alternative.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 22726
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Television Adventures

Post by Jocose » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:32 am

I heard on a radio program the other day (Leo LaPorte, The Tech Guy) that Smart TV's today are a loss leader.

They are sold for no profit and the company makes their money back only AFTER the sale.

I'm not exactly sure how but it has something to do with selling or using your personal information that is generated by connecting your internet to the TV. Apparently they can view all of the web activity and somehow generate advertising to others and your household as well.

It's a new day and age for sure.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Television Adventures

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm

It's getting hard to find rabbit ears.
Another thing, nobody sells 8 track tapes anymore for some reason.
Facts should never get in the way of a good story.

User avatar
mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing
Posts: 8938
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Television Adventures

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Roadmaster wrote:It's getting hard to find rabbit ears.
Another thing, nobody sells 8 track tapes anymore for some reason.
Our local Home Depot, ACE Hardware, and Walmart each have a few antenna options. I don’t have cable.


Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23824
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Television Adventures

Post by JimVH » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:30 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm
It's getting hard to find rabbit ears.
Another thing, nobody sells 8 track tapes anymore for some reason.
They'll come back, brother. This digital stuff is just a fad.

User avatar
Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef
Posts: 3940
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Re: Television Adventures

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:30 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm
It's getting hard to find rabbit ears.
Another thing, nobody sells 8 track tapes anymore for some reason.
They'll come back, brother. This digital stuff is just a fad.
8-Track Heaven

You're welcome.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23824
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Television Adventures

Post by JimVH » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:44 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:30 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm
It's getting hard to find rabbit ears.
Another thing, nobody sells 8 track tapes anymore for some reason.
They'll come back, brother. This digital stuff is just a fad.
8-Track Heaven

You're welcome.
Awe. Some.

User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 16632
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Television Adventures

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:20 am

JimVH wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:30 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm
It's getting hard to find rabbit ears.
Another thing, nobody sells 8 track tapes anymore for some reason.
They'll come back, brother. This digital stuff is just a fad.
The rabbit ears are VHF and the loop is UHF. Analog is gone for signals which would have included VHF--- so now everything is UHF for over the air and loops are in while "the rabbit has died".

Image
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22616
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Television Adventures

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:47 am

Jocose wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:32 am
I heard on a radio program the other day (Leo LaPorte, The Tech Guy) that Smart TV's today are a loss leader.

They are sold for no profit and the company makes their money back only AFTER the sale.

I'm not exactly sure how but it has something to do with selling or using your personal information that is generated by connecting your internet to the TV. Apparently they can view all of the web activity and somehow generate advertising to others and your household as well.

It's a new day and age for sure.
^This.^

Young people are fine with Alexa eavesdropping on them, and the power company knowing their thermostat settings, and their auto insurance company monitoring the way they drive, and their phones telling anyone who cares to know the places they go and the people they meet, and the alarm company knowing what time they leave for work in the mornings. I'm not. I know that if hackers can crack the code on super secure systems like nuclear power plants and credit card companies, they can hack consumer devices made in China to tell them when is the best time to burgle my house. Hell, the Chinese probably leave open back doors on our connected appliances and sell the keys for a few bucks to anyone who wants them.

I'm not sounding like fisherofpipes with my wild conspiracy theories am I?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19430
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Television Adventures

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 am

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:20 am
JimVH wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:30 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm
It's getting hard to find rabbit ears.
Another thing, nobody sells 8 track tapes anymore for some reason.
They'll come back, brother. This digital stuff is just a fad.
The rabbit ears are VHF and the loop is UHF. Analog is gone for signals which would have included VHF--- so now everything is UHF for over the air and loops are in while "the rabbit has died".

Image
"I hope your rabbit dies" used to be one of my favorite things to tell snappish young hussies. Nobody ever got it.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Post Reply