Multi-tool

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Multi-tool

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 am

Anybody carry/use multi-tools regularly? I have three. A Leatherman Wave which I keep in a SOG leather belt carrier. I use this one most often. A SOG that I keep in my SOG Seal Pup sharpening stone pouch on the sheath and a tiny little Craftsman that is about 1.5 by .75" folded that I keep in the belt carrier with my Swiss Army Knife (which technically is also a multi-tool). No photos since y'all already know what multi-tools look like. They are useful tools in my opinion.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Re: Multi-tool

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 am

When I was younger I carried the OG mulit-tool - a pair of pliers in a leather belt holster. I ground the handle tip on one side in to a functional straight screwdriver. That and a pocket knife of course. It was an essential accessory for every farmer at the time. With that and a snuff can ring worn in the back pocket of your blue jeans you could fit in at the local Coop, sale barn, or hoedown.

I currently carry a cheapish multi-tool in my fishing bag because you never know when you're gonna need to mend a fence or yank a hook out of yer ear.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 am

I carried a Leatherman in the Super Cub in Alaska. Cool tool.
I haven't seen it in two decades though, and I have no motivation to spend $$ on a replacement.
I do find the #2 Phillips and corkscrew on my SAKs come in handy.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:55 am

I'm a Gerber guy.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:01 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 am
When I was younger I carried the OG mulit-tool - a pair of pliers in a leather belt holster. I ground the handle tip on one side in to a functional straight screwdriver. That and a pocket knife of course. It was an essential accessory for every farmer at the time. With that and a snuff can ring worn in the back pocket of your blue jeans you could fit in at the local Coop, sale barn, or hoedown.

I currently carry a cheapish multi-tool in my fishing bag because you never know when you're gonna need to mend a fence or yank a hook out of yer ear.
Fence pliers? I've got one of those but I've only used it a couple of times. I found that small bolt cutters and hammer are easier to use when I put up some fencing in my yard. But I'm not a ranch hand and I don't ride a horse to mend fences so........
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 am

I have a really old leatherman and one of the first Gerbers. The Leatherman was kind of a pain, but Gerber saw a lot of use in my fire and EMS days. Neither sees much action now.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"The easiest way to digest success is through gratitude." Matthew McConaughey

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 am
I have a really old leatherman and one of the first Gerbers. The Leatherman was kind of a pain, but Gerber saw a lot of use in my fire and EMS days. Neither sees much action now.
I have 3 or 4 knockoffs that I have received as gifts over the years but I have never carried or used them. I carry a pocket knife and have a tool kit in the 4 runner and that's about it for unplanned and on the go stuff
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:50 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:01 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 am

Fence pliers? I've got one of those but I've only used it a couple of times. I found that small bolt cutters and hammer are easier to use when I put up some fencing in my yard. But I'm not a ranch hand and I don't ride a horse to mend fences so........
Nah, not fence pliers. I have a pair of those in my toolbox but I've never used them to build/mend a fence. Honestly don't even know where they came from. Too heavy to carry in a belt pouch or fishing bag for sure. Bloodhound can attest to the fact that I already carry way too much gear when fishing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:44 am

I carry a basic Swiss Army Knife often. I have a bigger one in my camping box. It has come in handy a few times like when I needed to open a can of chili because I forgot to pack a can opener. I had a Leatherman, I gave it to a deputy at the airport because I forgot to leave it at home. I want another one for my 4x4 tool bag.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 am

I carried the OG Leatherman tool for years. I broke it many times and have had it replaced many times. I still have it in my travel gear but I dont use it much anymore.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:39 am

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:44 am
I carry a basic Swiss Army Knife often. I have a bigger one in my camping box. It has come in handy a few times like when I needed to open a can of chili because I forgot to pack a can opener. I had a Leatherman, I gave it to a deputy at the airport because I forgot to leave it at home. I want another one for my 4x4 tool bag.
I keep the Tinker SAK on my desk at work. I reach for it almost every day for one thing or another.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"The easiest way to digest success is through gratitude." Matthew McConaughey

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 pm

I have a Leatherman but I carry a Swiss Army knife now. Every now and then, I will carry the Swiss Champ in a belt pouch.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 pm

I have an old Gerber that I carry in my pack for traveling or camping. I also pull it out when I need to get my hands on a pair of pliers around the house as it is always accessible. However for most things I have my SAK Dutch Army Knife (think SAK pioneer) in my pocket and I use that. There is a flat tip, phillips tip (real small flat that fits in the phillips), a can opener that works, bottle opener, blade and an awl (which makes a very nice pipe reamer).
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:39 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 am
I carried a Leatherman in the Super Cub in Alaska. Cool tool.
I haven't seen it in two decades though, and I have no motivation to spend $$ on a replacement.
I do find the #2 Phillips and corkscrew on my SAKs come in handy.
Leatherman ad with a bush pilot’s feet sticking out the window as he makes a repair, in flight, with his Leatherman (illustrations by Jack Unruh).

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year