I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20002
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:16 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
+JMJ+



It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Hey. Wos? The Pachamama was an Incan deity. Who she is, what she is, and how sacrifices are performed to her are all public knowledge. These guys can call me racist, alt-right, white supremacist all day long and do no harm, for they have no credibility.

Read up on the pachamama. The Incans sacrificed llamas and guinea pigs to her while chewing coca. Today, its coca, food, and burnt offerings. Anybody that cares to know can learn what she is and what she means to the indigenous people. She is an earth goddess.

As I've said before, never has a Christian taken a pagan goddess and worshiped her and remained a Christian. Do you sacrifice food and chew coca to the honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Living God?Tell the folks that we have a Lady, too. Convince them to love Mary as we do, not teach us to adore the Pachamama as they've always done.

All the sophistry in the world doesnt fix this. We converted pagans. In Tuscany, processions dating back to the Etruscan period were replaced with Catholic processions. Statues of the saints replaced the ritual carrying of a heavy pole. What these people are trying to do is convince Catholics that they should carry the pole.

And eternal shame, and hopefully boundless mercy, to the men who allowed a pagan effigy of the Earth Goddess to be adored before the very Body of Christ contained in the tabernacle.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Red129er
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Red129er » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am

wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
+JMJ+

It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20962
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by wosbald » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am

+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Red129er
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Red129er » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?

User avatar
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Thunktank » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:51 am

Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?
No, just biased. Like me.

Image
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle
Posts: 2136
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Jester » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:53 am

Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?
Some people couldn't see idolatry if it blasted them in the mouth with boob juice.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20002
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Jester wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:53 am
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?
Some people couldn't see idolatry if it blasted them in the mouth with boob juice.
Tuttle? Your brother’s had to much to drink again. Might want to see that he gets home safely. I’d do it myself, but I don’t care if he gets home safely.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle
Posts: 2136
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Jester » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:05 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:03 pm
Jester wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:53 am
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?
Some people couldn't see idolatry if it blasted them in the mouth with boob juice.
Tuttle? Your brother’s had to much to drink again. Might want to see that he gets home safely. I’d do it myself, but I don’t care if he gets home safely.
:lol:
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

User avatar
Red129er
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Red129er » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:51 am
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?
No, just biased. Like me.

Image
You assumed I had an issue with the exposed breast of the Mother of God. That's not my issue. I know icons like this exist, even if they aren't that common.

User avatar
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Thunktank » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:29 pm

Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:51 am
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?
No, just biased. Like me.

Image
You assumed I had an issue with the exposed breast of the Mother of God. That's not my issue. I know icons like this exist, even if they aren't that common.
I assumed no such thing. I assumed you had a bias about what style of depiction it was. But please, do share what your issue is.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
Red129er
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Red129er » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:17 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:29 pm
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:51 am
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?
No, just biased. Like me.

Image
You assumed I had an issue with the exposed breast of the Mother of God. That's not my issue. I know icons like this exist, even if they aren't that common.
I assumed no such thing. I assumed you had a bias about what style of depiction it was. But please, do share what your issue is.
Orthodox miracles tend to stay consistent throughout church history. Some of these Catholic miracles/visions often seem to take a hard left, but only after the Schism. The visions of the Virgin Mary by children are another example.

I get that that's my opinion, and probably something akin to circular reasoning. So be it. Visions of Mary, sure. Her granting wisdom to someone, so far I'm with you. Mary squirting milk into a monk's mouth, now you lost me.


EDIT: On second thought, this just looks like I'm itching for a squabble. I'm just uncomfortable with the image. I'll get over it. Carry on and ignore this ignoramos.

User avatar
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Thunktank » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:17 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:29 pm
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:51 am
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?
No, just biased. Like me.

Image
You assumed I had an issue with the exposed breast of the Mother of God. That's not my issue. I know icons like this exist, even if they aren't that common.
I assumed no such thing. I assumed you had a bias about what style of depiction it was. But please, do share what your issue is.
Orthodox miracles tend to stay consistent throughout church history. Some of these Catholic miracles/visions often seem to take a hard left, but only after the Schism. The visions of the Virgin Mary by children are another example.

I get that that's my opinion, and probably something akin to circular reasoning. So be it. Visions of Mary, sure. Her granting wisdom to someone, so far I'm with you. Mary squirting milk into a monk's mouth, now you lost me.


EDIT: On second thought, this just looks like I'm itching for a squabble. I'm just uncomfortable with the image. I'll get over it. Carry on and ignore this ignoramos.
I can understand what you mean about being “lost” with that picture. I am too. No appropriate words. :lol:

The way I deal with the apparent differences between RCC and Orthodox apparitions/miracles and religious art is that there was a growing geopolitical and cultural shift between them that grew more significant, not less so. I believe God will speak to people in ways significant to them in their culture and vice versa. This ties very well into the Amazon Synod as well. Do the Amazonian People have a relation to God in their own way that the Catholic Church should learn to accept and adapt to? That’s why the origins and meaning of the tree planting and “Pachamama” statues are of interest and concern to me. How do they incorporate the Truth? How do they convert the people of the Amazon? We all need to “convert” and grow into perfection.

We have long adopted “pagan” symbols and rituals and “Christianized them over time. Easter eggs have a long history with the Slavs you know?

As an Eastern Catholic, I feel more at ease with my eastern (Orthodox) patronage. But I’m also learning to appreciate and even borrow from the Roman rite. It’s very much a part of my personal patronage as well. Regardless, I like how Orthodox iconography takes a central role (in Christ, through the incarnation)in our lives and worship. How they teach and open a window to heaven for us. We’re good at that and that is our Holy Tradition.

On a side note, I also believe, just like in the Roman Catholic Church, many “miracles” like weeping icons or statues are in fact natural occurrence, more often than not deliberately created by people. There’s a whole tradition of that I could go into, but won’t. I experienced one myself that I believe that to be the case. But I don’t usually make a big deal of it because they nevertheless seem to draw people’s faith out. No church demands belief in such miracles as that anyway.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20002
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:48 pm

Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:17 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:29 pm
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:51 am
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
+JMJ+
Red129er wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm
It also has, for Hugo's consideration, this image …

Image
The Lactation of St. Bernard
Am I the only one disturbed by this?
Prolly not. We're all snowflakes now.
So I'm a snowflake?
No, just biased. Like me.

Image
You assumed I had an issue with the exposed breast of the Mother of God. That's not my issue. I know icons like this exist, even if they aren't that common.
I assumed no such thing. I assumed you had a bias about what style of depiction it was. But please, do share what your issue is.
Orthodox miracles tend to stay consistent throughout church history. Some of these Catholic miracles/visions often seem to take a hard left, but only after the Schism. The visions of the Virgin Mary by children are another example.

I get that that's my opinion, and probably something akin to circular reasoning. So be it. Visions of Mary, sure. Her granting wisdom to someone, so far I'm with you. Mary squirting milk into a monk's mouth, now you lost me.


EDIT: On second thought, this just looks like I'm itching for a squabble. I'm just uncomfortable with the image. I'll get over it. Carry on and ignore this ignoramos.
Nope. Freaks me out, too. Almost, but not quite as much as an Incan naked goddess with an exposed gestating child in her belly.

We cool, Red.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20962
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by wosbald » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:47 pm

+JMJ+

Still Worried About Pachamama? Read Laudato Si’ [in-Depth, Opinion]
Image
Mangrove and woodland near the Amazon river, by Cesar Paes Barreto, Wikimedia Commons

I know that papal documents are not easy reading. I also know we all have lots on the go, and it is hard to find the time to sit down and read and think for a couple hours. But this is crucial: if you are Catholic and worried about paganism having infiltrated the Church through the Amazon synod, but have not yet read Pope Francis’s 2015 encyclical Laudato Si’, please read it as soon as possible. Word On Fire has a lovely site devoted to it, at laudatosi.com. It contains a well-formatted PDF version of the text.

[…]

Some people are making much out of a prayer to Pachamama (an Incan fertility goddess, still worshipped by some in the Andes) that was found on a handout used in a church in Verona, for purposes unknown. On Twitter, I pointed out that this prayer was likely taken from a document created for the Amazon synod by the Missio Foundation, which is described on its website as a “pastoral body formed by the Italian Bishops’ Conference to support and promote, in collaboration with other organizations, the missionary dimension of the Church in Italy” (very rough translation). I suggested that the prayer be read in the context of the rest of the document, which provides a survey of the Indigenous cultures of the Amazon and issues affecting the Amazon region and its people, and places these within the framework of Laudato Si’. Providing this additional information does not seem to have helped, as the single page from the document with the prayer is now being shared as further proof of pagan infiltration, not just in that one church in Verona, but also within the Italian Bishops’ Conference.

But context and intent really do matter. Paying attention to context and intent is not a path to relativism; it is, in fact, how you can avoid mistaking your own private judgement for the unalterable truth. Read some sections of the Missio Foundation website (through whatever translation application you can find, if like me you don’t read Italian) in order to understand why they might have included that prayer in one of their documents. Read some of the document itself, which is located here (and the Pachamama prayer is on page 17, for those curious). At least do that, before judging.

After considering the context, which of the two following possibilities do you think is more likely?
  • This Pachamama prayer was included as a means of introducing a demonic paganism into Catholicism, for the purpose of undermining and ultimately destroying the faith.
  • This Pachamama prayer was included as an example of how Indigenous people in the Andes (and by extension, the Amazon) conceive of the natural world as Mother Earth, opening up a missionary path for inculturation in line with Laudato Si’.
I know my answer. If you still think the first possibility is more likely, I’ll say it again: read Laudato Si’.

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20002
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:47 pm

wosbald wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:47 pm
+JMJ+

Still Worried About Pachamama? Read Laudato Si’ [in-Depth, Opinion]
Image
Mangrove and woodland near the Amazon river, by Cesar Paes Barreto, Wikimedia Commons

I know that papal documents are not easy reading. I also know we all have lots on the go, and it is hard to find the time to sit down and read and think for a couple hours. But this is crucial: if you are Catholic and worried about paganism having infiltrated the Church through the Amazon synod, but have not yet read Pope Francis’s 2015 encyclical Laudato Si’, please read it as soon as possible. Word On Fire has a lovely site devoted to it, at laudatosi.com. It contains a well-formatted PDF version of the text.

[…]

Some people are making much out of a prayer to Pachamama (an Incan fertility goddess, still worshipped by some in the Andes) that was found on a handout used in a church in Verona, for purposes unknown. On Twitter, I pointed out that this prayer was likely taken from a document created for the Amazon synod by the Missio Foundation, which is described on its website as a “pastoral body formed by the Italian Bishops’ Conference to support and promote, in collaboration with other organizations, the missionary dimension of the Church in Italy” (very rough translation). I suggested that the prayer be read in the context of the rest of the document, which provides a survey of the Indigenous cultures of the Amazon and issues affecting the Amazon region and its people, and places these within the framework of Laudato Si’. Providing this additional information does not seem to have helped, as the single page from the document with the prayer is now being shared as further proof of pagan infiltration, not just in that one church in Verona, but also within the Italian Bishops’ Conference.

But context and intent really do matter. Paying attention to context and intent is not a path to relativism; it is, in fact, how you can avoid mistaking your own private judgement for the unalterable truth. Read some sections of the Missio Foundation website (through whatever translation application you can find, if like me you don’t read Italian) in order to understand why they might have included that prayer in one of their documents. Read some of the document itself, which is located here (and the Pachamama prayer is on page 17, for those curious). At least do that, before judging.

After considering the context, which of the two following possibilities do you think is more likely?
  • This Pachamama prayer was included as a means of introducing a demonic paganism into Catholicism, for the purpose of undermining and ultimately destroying the faith.
  • This Pachamama prayer was included as an example of how Indigenous people in the Andes (and by extension, the Amazon) conceive of the natural world as Mother Earth, opening up a missionary path for inculturation in line with Laudato Si’.
I know my answer. If you still think the first possibility is more likely, I’ll say it again: read Laudato Si’.

[…]
Kind and thoughtful and charitable and complete and total horsefeathers. Catholics prostrated themselves and sacrificed to her within the vatican and within consecrated churches. We do not do that before the Virgin Mary.

We do not bow down or sacrifice to two pachamamas. Let he who has eyes see.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20962
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by wosbald » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:48 am

+JMJ+


ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20002
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:46 am

wosbald wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:48 am
+JMJ+

Yup, nothing says “Amazonian Synod” like the Pope holding a plant nourished with the sacrifice to the Pachamama.

Why can’t these bozos ruin their own Mass? Why are they hell bent on murdering mine?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Thunktank » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:47 pm
wosbald wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:47 pm
+JMJ+

Still Worried About Pachamama? Read Laudato Si’ [in-Depth, Opinion]
Image
Mangrove and woodland near the Amazon river, by Cesar Paes Barreto, Wikimedia Commons

I know that papal documents are not easy reading. I also know we all have lots on the go, and it is hard to find the time to sit down and read and think for a couple hours. But this is crucial: if you are Catholic and worried about paganism having infiltrated the Church through the Amazon synod, but have not yet read Pope Francis’s 2015 encyclical Laudato Si’, please read it as soon as possible. Word On Fire has a lovely site devoted to it, at laudatosi.com. It contains a well-formatted PDF version of the text.

[…]

Some people are making much out of a prayer to Pachamama (an Incan fertility goddess, still worshipped by some in the Andes) that was found on a handout used in a church in Verona, for purposes unknown. On Twitter, I pointed out that this prayer was likely taken from a document created for the Amazon synod by the Missio Foundation, which is described on its website as a “pastoral body formed by the Italian Bishops’ Conference to support and promote, in collaboration with other organizations, the missionary dimension of the Church in Italy” (very rough translation). I suggested that the prayer be read in the context of the rest of the document, which provides a survey of the Indigenous cultures of the Amazon and issues affecting the Amazon region and its people, and places these within the framework of Laudato Si’. Providing this additional information does not seem to have helped, as the single page from the document with the prayer is now being shared as further proof of pagan infiltration, not just in that one church in Verona, but also within the Italian Bishops’ Conference.

But context and intent really do matter. Paying attention to context and intent is not a path to relativism; it is, in fact, how you can avoid mistaking your own private judgement for the unalterable truth. Read some sections of the Missio Foundation website (through whatever translation application you can find, if like me you don’t read Italian) in order to understand why they might have included that prayer in one of their documents. Read some of the document itself, which is located here (and the Pachamama prayer is on page 17, for those curious). At least do that, before judging.

After considering the context, which of the two following possibilities do you think is more likely?
  • This Pachamama prayer was included as a means of introducing a demonic paganism into Catholicism, for the purpose of undermining and ultimately destroying the faith.
  • This Pachamama prayer was included as an example of how Indigenous people in the Andes (and by extension, the Amazon) conceive of the natural world as Mother Earth, opening up a missionary path for inculturation in line with Laudato Si’.
I know my answer. If you still think the first possibility is more likely, I’ll say it again: read Laudato Si’.

[…]
Kind and thoughtful and charitable and complete and total horsefeathers. Catholics prostrated themselves and sacrificed to her within the vatican and within consecrated churches. We do not do that before the Virgin Mary.

We do not bow down or sacrifice to two pachamamas. Let he who has eyes see.
Eastern Catholics do.

That’s the trouble with you darn Romans. You’ve been tainted by the Anabaptists and other anti-Catholic denominations too much. Y’all forgetting how to be Catholic!

Hey, someone had to say it. The old Wosbald would. :lol:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Thunktank » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:17 pm

What I find so interesting is that the Ecumenical Patriarch has been working on these same issues in the Amazon, the arctic region and around the world. His conferences came to many of the same conclusions. He even mentioned how creation is an “icon.” We venerate icons.

Good read.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
Red129er
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by Red129er » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:44 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:17 pm
What I find so interesting is that the Ecumenical Patriarch has been working on these same issues in the Amazon, the arctic region and around the world. His conferences came to many of the same conclusions. He even mentioned how creation is an “icon.” We venerate icons.

Good read.
With reference to the environmental initiatives and actions, what is perhaps most characteristic of the Patriarch's initiatives is the mark of humility. The Ecumenical Patriarch is able to see the larger picture. He recognizes that he is standing before something greater than himself, a world before which he must kneel, a chain that long predates and will long outlast him. Therefore, he speaks of self-emptying (kenosis) (Phil. 2.4-11), ministry (diakonia) (Luke 10.40; Acts 1.17, 25; 6.4), witness (martyria, a term which also has the sense of martyrdom and suffering) (John 1.7, 19), and thanksgiving (or eucharistia, a term which also implies liturgy) (Acts 24.3; 2 Cor. 4.15).
Given the shenanigans of the EP right now, this paragraph is ripe with irony. :lol:

Post Reply