Pipe and other hardware related discussions
JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Re: Pipe Acquisitions 2019

Post by JMG » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:10 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:17 pm
Grabbed a couple at the antique store today. Got a Grabow Grand Duke and a ... I don't know. Do you?ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Sand that dumb laquer off of there and refinish it and I bet it will be a fine looking pipe.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:10 pm

JMG wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Grabbed a couple at the antique store today. Got a Grabow Grand Duke and a ... I don't know. Do you?ImageImageImage

Sand that dumb laquer off of there and refinish it and I bet it will be a fine looking pipe.
Right?!

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:35 pm

ReverendThom wrote:Grabbed a couple at the antique store today. Got a Grabow Grand Duke and a ... I don't know. Do you?ImageImageImage

How many moose scrotums did those set you back?
I agree with JMG a refinish will leave you a very nice pipe.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:38 pm

arank87 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Is it a Masta? https://pipedia.org/wiki/Masta
Hmm don't think so. I've tried getting the letters to stand out. I'm having a heck of a time fully making it out though.

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:25 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:38 pm
arank87 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Hmm don't think so. I've tried getting the letters to stand out. I'm having a heck of a time fully making it out though.

It's Aldo Morelli
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 pm

I recently gave my wife some ideas for pipes I'd like, as my birthday is this month. Enough ideas that although I knew I was getting a pipe, it would still be a surprise as to what pipe. One of the several ideas was another Stanwell 11, since I enjoy my 11 so much. So I was pleasantly surprised to get this Stanwell 118 (a variant on the classic 11, which, for comparison, is pictured in the background).

I'm curious... Those of you who smoke 9mm pipes - do you find that using an adapter when smoking sans filter is a necessary thing? In the two 9mm pipes I own, I keep an adapter in them all the time. Never tried smoking them with no adapter, and I don't like filters. It would be a pain to switch the adapter between multiple pipes. Trying to decide if I want to order another adapter to put in the 118, or if I'm just being silly. Constructive opinions welcome. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Nice looking pipes!

I’ve smoked many Stanwell 9mm pipes without adapters or filters.
No issues.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:42 pm

SlowToke wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:38 pm
arank87 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

It's Aldo Morelli
Thank you!!!!

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:39 pm
Nice looking pipes!

I’ve smoked many Stanwell 9mm pipes without adapters or filters.
No issues.
yup...nice pipe...Happy Birthday...and My 11 is smoked, a lot, without a filter or adapter.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 pm
I recently gave my wife some ideas for pipes I'd like, as my birthday is this month. Enough ideas that although I knew I was getting a pipe, it would still be a surprise as to what pipe. One of the several ideas was another Stanwell 11, since I enjoy my 11 so much. So I was pleasantly surprised to get this Stanwell 118 (a variant on the classic 11, which, for comparison, is pictured in the background).

I'm curious... Those of you who smoke 9mm pipes - do you find that using an adapter when smoking sans filter is a necessary thing? In the two 9mm pipes I own, I keep an adapter in them all the time. Never tried smoking them with no adapter, and I don't like filters. It would be a pain to switch the adapter between multiple pipes. Trying to decide if I want to order another adapter to put in the 118, or if I'm just being silly. Constructive opinions welcome. ImageImageImage

Happy Birthday Adam!
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Adam Z wrote:

Happy Birthday Adam!
Thanks Image

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 pm

Adam Z wrote:

The only filter pipe I own and smoke is a Savinelli and I smoke it without the adapter and it smokes great. It takes a bit more effort to clean but no big deal.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:39 am

Well 2019 is almost gone...I got the Stanwell 11 in the Spring and held fast to the PAD and didn't let myself buy any others, UNTIL...DurangoPipe started his sell-off. I ended up with a Savinelli and a Comoy. So I am up to 3 for the year. PAD is in check...for now 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 pm

I just won the auction for this Comoy's billiard at CigarBid. $26.00! SmokingPipes is selling these for $99. Image

- C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 pm
I just won the auction for this Comoy's billiard at CigarBid. $26.00! SmokingPipes is selling these for $99. Image

Well done.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:54 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:44 pm
Adam Z wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Well done.
Great pipes!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:49 pm

A pair of KBB era Yello Boles won at auction. This is the before picture. I’ll share more when I get them cleaned up. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:49 pm
A pair of KBB era Yello Boles won at auction. This is the before picture. I’ll share more when I get them cleaned up. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Handsome. I’m looking forward to seeing them spit shined.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:00 pm

Number three:

Rattray's Fachen

It smokes like a champ.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:33 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:00 pm
Number three:

Rattray's Fachen

It smokes like a champ.
Nice looking pipe. Did you search "Fachen" on the net, btw? I think the singular form is "Fachan".
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)